Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Timeline on Pentax film cameras

Is there a timeline on the various Pentax film SLRs from the Spotmatic forward. Not just the models, but the features, good points and bad warts and all.

I currently own a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic that I bought new in '67 or '68 and am thinking about purchsing something a little higher up the food chain.

I am comfortable with film and don't want to go the digital route just yet. I have about 7 SMC Takumar M42 screw mount lenses [ 28mm - 300mm all primes] so getting an adapter to use on the bayonette mount bodies is not an issue.

Thanks for your help

Jay

07-24-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
Forum Member

You could try this site for a basic timeline of Pentax cameras

Pentax Imaging

This has a lisitng of all cameras and lenses by date of introduction

Pentax Imaging

This is cool... with photos of the bodies

PENTAX digiich
07-25-2007, 05:12 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Try here: Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Equipment Page click on the image of the camera on the right side. It includes specs and assessments. I used it when looking for a film camera for a class I'm taking.
Rob W
07-25-2007, 05:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Here's an interesting site regarding the screw mounts

English

07-25-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all very much. All of the sites were loaded with information so there is la lot of reading to do.

Any recommendations on the K mount manual and/or automatic focus models?

My primary interests are in nature, wildlife and close-up photography with flowers my primary preference.

Jay
07-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jake21209 Quote

Any recommendations on the K mount manual and/or automatic focus models?

My primary interests are in nature, wildlife and close-up photography with flowers my primary preference.
For manual focus, the Pentax LX is the finest camera ever made by Pentax. My copy has given me reliable service for almost 20 years. Build quality is excellent, and there are many accessories available, including interchangable viewfinders and focus screens for specific applications. The metering system is just outstanding, and TTL flash is supported. You can't go wrong with an LX.
07-26-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

See if you can find a MZ-5n (ZX-5n) model, absolute cracker of a Film SLR and I think at a reasonable price I have had one since 2000, and think its superb, even now

07-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll be saving my lunch money and in the interim will do a little window shopping on ebay and a few other places.

I really like my Spotmatic, but I am hoping to get something a little newer and might possibly have some weather proofing such as the K10D. Don't want a digital just yet. film still suites me just fine.

I am trying to take small technology steps such as they are without the entire plunge in to digital.

My view of it is that like a boat, it is a hole in the water that you pour money in to without every filling up. And yes, I have been the boat route once. Thought it was the happiest day of my lifewhen I sold it, but maybe it was the divorce.
07-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax LX

I'll second GaryML about the LX.

I've had mine about 12 years; bought second hand at KEH. It is a gem, small, responsive, a pleasure to use. The exposure meter is incredible, I've shot by moon light on 400 index film with a vivitar 19mm at f3.8, the exposure was 4 or 5 MINUTES and perfectly exposed. With a TTL flash and a winder its wonderful for sports.

A few caveats: they are getting old. Mine needs a cleaning, lubrication and adjustment; I've been quoted $150 to $200. Pro gear seems to carry pro repair costs. For some reason Pentax omitted an exposure lock for the AE system, you can adjust + or - 2 stops, but that's not the same thing.

But that big, bright viewscreen! What a pleasure. My K10d has a good viewfinder, but .....
07-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks, I'll be saving my lunch money and in the interim will do a little window shopping on ebay and a few other places.

I really like my Spotmatic, but I am hoping to get something a little newer and might possibly have some weather proofing such as the K10D. Don't want a digital just yet. film still suites me just fine.
The LX was a Pro spec’d camera, and had dust- and moisture-proof seals on every button and dial.
LX (early version)

There are some pretty crazy stories, as to what people have put their old Pentax film cameras through, and they kept delivering.

I just got the K10, but am looking into some of the old film cameras as well. There is something magical about the build of this old gear.

I believe it is the LX models that even by today’s standards, have incredible metering.

I read you loud and clear, regarding the endless hole to fill up; when it comes to new fun toys and additional gear.

(Being a student, I pay for my mistakes; when in buying spree, feel that I need more than I can afford)
07-29-2007, 04:57 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote

A few caveats: they are getting old. Mine needs a cleaning, lubrication and adjustment; I've been quoted $150 to $200. Pro gear seems to carry pro repair costs. For some reason Pentax omitted an exposure lock for the AE system, you can adjust + or - 2 stops, but that's not the same thing.
I had mine serviced by Pentax in Colorado for the sticky mirror problem and just routine CLA. That was maybe 15 years ago and it's still going strong. You definitely want to check for the sticky mirror problem, as well as the tendency to overlap frames if the film advance mechanism is worn.

If you want exposure lock then you need to set it to a manual shutter speed. When in automatic, the meter actually reads the exposure as reflected off the film while the shutter is open. This allows it to adjust for changes in light as the exposure is occurring. An exposure lock would defeat the benefit of the OTF exposure system.
07-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I think you will like the LX: it is an all-metal, traditional camera that is probably the ultimate evolution of the Spotmatic style of camera. Newer cameras have additional features like auto-exposure, auto-focus, integrated motor drive, automatic bracketing, etc. But they don't have the feel of the rectangular, solid metal body like the LX has.

The LX does have weather-resistant seals on a par with the K10D. However, there are no weather-resistant lenses for it, as the soon-to-be-released DA* lenses (digital only) will be the first weather-resistant SLR lenses ever made by Pentax. And with any interchangeable lens camera, you have the lens mount itself as a possible point of water or dust entry. So while the LX does have the seals, don't expect to use in places where a true weather-proof camera could go, like under water or exposed to a heavy downpour for a period of time.
07-30-2007, 06:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The English Wikipedia page on Pentax holds a very nice timeline. It's wider in scope than the other articles posted here, and may be more what you were initially looking for?
Pentax on Wikipedia

The LX as quoted by many here is indeed a fine camera, but relatively expensive even second hand. A valid much cheaper alternative is the 100% manual MX. It can take a battery for the lightmeter, but it works without it too (except the lightmeter). I simply love mine and take it out on trips regularly when I'm feeling really creative...

Wim
07-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #14

FYI, Kami's "Pentax Imaging" links are no longer valid, gives a page not found error.
07-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
Pentaxian

My vote is for the LX too as one of the best of all time . . .