Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SuperProgram tearing sprocket holes

My camera has gotten into the habit of randomly tearing the sprocket holes on my recent rolls. Ever since I started using Arista.EDU and LegacyPro Black and White film for my class this has been happening. It never occurred while using Kodak color film. Is it the cheap re-brand film at fault or my camera and its user?

04-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't see it being the films fault, however it's only a couple of $ for a cheap roll of film at Walmart to test.
From what I can tell Walmart film is made by Fuji, and seems to be pretty decent stuff for the $. So it should be perfect for a test.
04-26-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

EDU is Foma, Legacy Pro is Fuji - the films should be good. Check to see that the film moves freely from the cartridge - ie. the rewind crank is free to move etc. Torn sprokets in the middle of the film indicate some unnatural resistance in the supply side.
04-26-2010, 06:16 AM   #4

Are you using bulk loads for the class? My class did in high school (last year and the year before) and they were always unusually difficult to wind on, compared to pre-packaged films. Even the power winder in my dad's SF1n had trouble with it. If that's the case I wouldn't be surprised if that was the source of your troubles.

04-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

This is actually a known problem with these cameras. The rewind shaft is more than likely binding somewhat.
04-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ah! so the tear happens on the rewind then? Being careful with the rewind, and keeping a finger pushing in the rewind button might hel pin that case.
04-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
The tearing is when advancing the frame. We use pre-packaged film in the class. Could it be that I bent the rewind shaft by dropping the camera a lot.

04-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
Dropping could be the culprit if the rewind knob was pulled up at the time. I have heard of the rewind shaft becoming sticky on the SuperProgram, but I was never clear on what was causing it, but the increased friction on the film was contributing to the torn sprocket holes. From what I understand, it's a fairly inexpensive fix. Depending on where in Washington you are, they may be able to fix it a Blue Moon here in Portland. Otherwise, there is Eric Hendrickson who is on the forums here, who is the guy for all Pentax repairs. Good luck.
05-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FlannelSpoon Quote
My camera has gotten into the habit of randomly tearing the sprocket holes on my recent rolls. Ever since I started using Arista.EDU and LegacyPro Black and White film for my class this has been happening. It never occurred while using Kodak color film. Is it the cheap re-brand film at fault or my camera and its user?
I have a Super Program and I don't think the film is the cause, I would agree with the possibility that the rewind shaft might be bent a little causing some binding. That would cause the film to come out of alignment.

When you load the film, do you turn the rewind knob a turn or two to take up the slack? If you are, you might be winding the knob too tightly as well. I hope that helps!

The Perception