Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ME Super Focusing Screen Replacement.

I know rebuilding the camera is "financially illogical". I have it here and I feel like I can tear it down and put it back together. I've been looking at mypentax.com.

The shutter is gummed up with light seal goo. I have got it to actuate by removing the bottom cover and squirting alcohol up into the shutter box. It sticks badly. There is fungus and corrosion also. I think the camera was wet. Also, the PO scratched up the screen pretty bad. Right across the split screen. I would leave it but if I'm going to dismantle the camera anyway, I'd like a nice new one. I installed batteries and the electronics seem to function but I haven't been able to verify AE operation. I'm confident I can restore this camera. The two lenses I got with it are OK. The 50mm has some fungus though Oh well....$25 for a clean 80-205mm....and some junk.

How does the screen and prism come apart once the top is off?

04-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only problem here is that you'd be hard-pressed to find a parts camera in worse condition than you describe, if you want a new screen.

Taking the prism, once the cover is off, shouldn't be complicated. Just watch for any shims that might be there and where they may come from. Prisms are usually fixed pretty solidly to the mirror box in any given camera, being about the single heaviest part in the machine. The screen may or may not require prism removal to get at, either.

What tools do you have?
04-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's pretty shot. I could scavenge everything off my MV but that camera is perfect. Maybe I'll just clean the camera as best I can and use it.
04-28-2010, 05:15 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Once the top is off, you'll be faced with a lot of tiny wires and ribbon connectors. They all cross over the prism, and would have to be de-soldered to get the prism out to reach the screen.
I would see about just using as is. Then watch for one in better shape.

04-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's pretty much doomed I am afraid. Even if you managed to replace the screen w/o breaking anything, you aren't equiped to calibrate the screen and the prism afterward. It is more than just putting back everything in one piece.
04-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The mirror is scratched pretty bad too.
I'm thinkin parts. I bought it for the lenses anyway.
04-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone need any parts before I put it away in the circular file?
The shutter is shot, the focusing screen is all scratched up, the top and bottom covers are corroded and scratched up. The light seals are everywhere. The boards seem to be ok and the lens purchase is ok but the mirror and focusing screen is shot.