Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 04:25 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Simplifying operation? While I do agree with you that film cameras are beautifully simple to operate, IMO I don't see why a digital SLR can't be either.
Just go to aperture priority or even manual. Select your shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Focus compose and shoot. Digitals have a huge amount of features and settings etc., but if you want to keep it simple who cares about them?
Anyway, I think film is more fun! And of course all the other reasons mentioned here.

09-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I agree 100%.

A prerequisite for me to purchase a digital camera would be the exclusion of the LCD panel and its attendant controls.
Deleting this single feature would be a good first step towards simplifying operation.

And no, turning off the LCD is not the same thing.

However no manufacturer seems brave enough to produce a model like this.

Chris

How about the "Holga D"?
Holga D - Holga Digtal Camera - Saikat Biswas
I know it is just a design exercise, but one worthy of serious consideration, in my opinion. Get rid of the AF, LCD, and other power-hungry stuff and you end up with a compact, light-weight package with great battery life.

Steve
09-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #108

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I often use a DSLR as an exposure meter or Polaroid, before I shoot a film shot, especially medium format. It is not an either-or proposition.
I see your point... using the DSLR as a lightmeter can help indeed exposing unforgiving film (slide film, especially).

Since I have a Sekonic Spot/flash/lightmeter, it makes no sense for me to carry a less accurate and yet bigger and heavier DSLR for exposure metetring. But if I didn't have a lightmeter, the DSLR would probably be a good option for using as a polaroid test or exposure meter.
09-19-2010, 11:31 PM   #109
Veteran Member

There are legitimate reasons many people pointed already (film's increased dynamic range, less dependent on batteries, a certain look and feel from your preferred film or process ithat's hard to replicate).

But there's also a lot of bragging about not relying on electronics, LCDs or more options. Kinda of a "macho" thing.

To me, this is kinda stupid, as current DSLR are meant to mimic almost if not all behaviour from film cameras - the hardest being the particularities of film vs. sensor. But if you want to just rely on exposure meter, manual controls and viewfinder, you *can*.

Saying that you are unable to use because "it got a frigging LCD" even if you don't use it, then you're entering bragging land, IMO.

09-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
- Full-frame!
- small size (for a FF!)...
- Huge DR with color negs (you can shoot straight into the sun and still have both the sun and the shadows well defined, it's that good!)...
- every pic is a keeper, because 1) you didn't know at the time that the pic was bad, so you haven't shot twice, and 2) if you don't keep the bad pic, you lose the memory...
09-20-2010, 02:05 AM   #111
Pentaxian

I am a pretty modest guy, not especially macho nor prone to bragging.
But I prefer simple things to those that are complex without benefit.
FWIW I reject many later film SLRs, including Pentax, for this reason.

Chris
09-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #112
Forum Member

I love my K200D and it gets a lot of use. Same with digital compacts, they have their place. Digital is now the better medium for everyday and important use, I can get very good images from the K200d and it's only limited by my own skill and knowledge.

But, I enjoy the use of old film cameras. I think the Spotmatic F is my favourite camera I own or have used. My other major thing is guitars, and a big part of the process in choosing a guitar is the "feel". The Spotmatics have the right "feel" for me. I'm young enough to have grown up with computers and digital but there is something magical to me about using this "obsolete" technology and striving to get something good out of it. I like the look of film as well.

Other than that, I just like film cameras.
09-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is not an either/or thing for me either. I usually carry around my K20D and a film camera, and when I travel I usually take my K20D, two 35mm film bodies and my Lubitel 2. I wouldn't give up my K20D, nor would I give up my LX. I would trade the Lubitel for a Pentax 67 tho

Cheers, Kris.