Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lumolabs: Nikon D700 vs. D5000 vs. Pentax K-x, Dynamic range and noise

Lumolabs (read myself) has just published their comparison study of sensor performance Nikon D700 vs. D5000 vs. Pentax K-x, dynamic range and noise.

All three cameras have almost identical dynamic range while the D700 has the expected 1 stop advantage in high iso noise. Numerical lab results would make the Pentax K-x win, D5000 second and D700 third with respect to dynamic range. But a visual plausability check points to raw data tricks being played which makes all three cameras perform the same. Which still is an impressive result for an APS-C sensor.

Read more:

-> Lumolabs: Sensors of Nikon D700, D5000 and Pentax K-x

Note: Lumolabs measures the real dynamic range contained in raw data (like DxO), not the appearant dynamic range contained in jpeg data (like dpreview).

Last edited by falconeye; 12-11-2009 at 01:52 PM.
12-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Lumolabs (read myself) has just published their comparison study of sensor performance Nikon D700 vs. D5000 vs. Pentax K-x, dynamic range and noise.

All three cameras have almost identical dynamic range while the D700 has the expected 1 stop advantage in high iso noise. Numerical lab results would make the Pentax K-x win, D5000 second and D700 third with respect to dynamic range. But a visual plausability check points to raw data tricks being played which makes all three cameras perform the same. Which still is an impressive result for an APS-C sensor.

Read more:

-> Lumolabs: Sensors of Nikon D700, D5000 and Pentax K-x

Note: Lumolabs measures the real dynamic range contained in raw data (like DxO), not the appearant dynamic range contained in jpeg data (like dpreview).
Bravo....
Missing link in the puzzle:
Re: Pixel Density Gap Observation: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Re: Pixel Density Gap Observation: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
12-13-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

falconeye, great job as always.

Jeffkrol, falconeye points out the read-out noise improvements (which could only mean circuit improvemnts).

Also, that John Sheehy seems to like answering a slightly different question that is asked, though what he says is correct.
12-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
very interesting thanks

12-13-2009, 11:20 PM   #5

Great test and review. Thanks!
12-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks a lot for taking the time. A big help.

I also found this article a good read :
Falk Lumo: Lumolabs: Pentax K-x vs. K-7, sensor and video

"The truth is that the K-x may be the 35mm SLR camera which has the best high ISO noise and dynamic range performance to date. This isn't "very good". This is outstanding!

Therefore, the K-x sensor outperforms the K-7 in low light situations whereas the K-7 outperforms the K-x in good light. This is further confirmed by the better resolution and more artifact-free images from the K-7.

Conclusion:

The Pentax K-x has a sensor which rivals the best. That Pentax makes it available in the entry-level class is a good thing. On the other hand, the Pentax K-7 excells in many respects and even its noise performance isn't bad. It is in line with the rest of the competition which is beaten by the K-x in this respect now.”
12-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I consider myself a camera geek, but damn a test like that is hard to get into. Feels more like reading an article about CPU benchmark testing then it does anything photography related. I think I'll stick with the highly technical way of testing where someone takes actual photos of the same scene with different cameras...then compares them. I prefer to draw my own conclusions based on actual photographs more than I do line charts, gray swatches, etc. I appreciate the work that goes into this kind of thing, but man...time to go look at photos.

12-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Forum Member

If you use camera in real sutuation, where we usually push -2..+2ev (and not always)...is there a real difrense between K-x and K-7?
12-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I consider myself a camera geek, but damn a test like that is hard to get into. ...time to go look at photos.
I feel the same. But man ... I hate the endless debates I know from literature courses and really appreciate mathematics where an answer is either true or false, period.

I love wonderful photos and mathematical-style tests. I hate prosaic tests and boring "still life" photos

QuoteOriginally posted by Jaleel Quote
If you use camera in real sutuation, where we usually push -2..+2ev (and not always)...is there a real difrense between K-x and K-7?
Look at the pushed -5EV samples which are linked from my blog as well:

In this test the K-7 looks only slightly worse than D5000 which again looks a bit worse than K-x. But definitely very usable. And scaled to K-x resolution, probably w/o much difference.
12-16-2009, 01:42 AM   #10
Forum Member

Btw, have a question, what camera is better at iso 100-800 in term of resolution?
12-16-2009, 05:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jaleel Quote
Btw, have a question, what camera is better at iso 100-800 in term of resolution?
Rhetoric question ... K-7, of course.
12-17-2009, 06:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Two images of mine, illustrating the dynamic range capabilities of the K-x:

Last edited by falconeye; 12-17-2009 at 08:03 AM.
12-18-2009, 05:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Look at the pushed -5EV samples which are linked from my blog as well:

In this test the K-7 looks only slightly worse than D5000 which again looks a bit worse than K-x. But definitely very usable. And scaled to K-x resolution, probably w/o much difference.
Thanks for this info, hadn't noticed it first time around