Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which 18-250mm would you get?
Pentax 5761.96%
Tamron 2122.83%
Both are lousy, I would get something else. 1415.22%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
To my eyes, in this samples distortion correction is perfect but CA correction is very weak.

12-31-2009, 07:20 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Very interesting read as I myself is considering getting one of these, but the price for these 2 in my local shop is just unbelievable, they are asking AU$730 for the Tamron and $1k for the Pentax...., might have to look at overseas ventors.

BTW, I came across a lens called Samsung GX-20 Pentax DSLR D-XENON F/3.5-6.3 18-250 mm for US$559 delivered, would this be a rebadge of the Pentax 18-250 which in turn is a rebadge Tamron? Any one have experience with this particular lens? Wouldn't imagine it would have the SMC coating and Distortion/CA correction as the Pentax version I assume.
12-31-2009, 11:26 PM   #48
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Brand new Pentax is still available here in Turkey for 675 USD,
Foto Zeynep Online Al??veri? | Lensler - Pentax - Pentax - smc PENTAX DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL(IF) Geni? Aç? Zoom Lens

I grabbed a new one from ebay for 490 USD.

Right now there are two used ones on ebay, conditions looked good to me:

Pentax DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL IF - eBay (item 120510383628 end time Jan-01-10 13:45:08 PST)

Pentax smc DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL IF Lens - eBay (item 190361024802 end time Jan-03-10 17:54:51 PST)
01-01-2010, 12:57 AM   #49
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Very interesting read as I myself is considering getting one of these, but the price for these 2 in my local shop is just unbelievable, they are asking AU$730 for the Tamron and $1k for the Pentax...., might have to look at overseas ventors.
The prices for lens are prohibitive in Australia, and I encourage you to buy them from the US. If the price is below AUD$1,000 there is no import tax and you only have to add the shipping costs.

I bought my Pentax 18-250mm from Keh (Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com) for US$379. Although it was a 'second hand' lens, the lens was as new. It was delivered with UPS in 7 days. I have been using it with my Pentax K-7. (I bought the body only in Australia.) I truly loves the 18-250mm lens. My only need will be a low-light lens and I just purchased a Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 from Adorama (Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera). In each case, the price including shipping was 20 to 50% cheaper than the price in Oz.

Today, Keh has two Tamron 18-250mm for a similar price. With shipping (UPS), it makes it about AUD$500, mate. You may think about it. (I can certainly recommend Keh from my own experience. Excellent service.)

Hope that it will help.

01-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #50
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hello, My Pentax DA 18-250 arrived, I didn't like much, it seemed like a mediocre lens to me, below sample is FA 100-300mm, f/4.7-5.8 no flash (EXIF's are intact, lightning conditions, camera setups are the same 1600ISO, tungsten WB), No intervention to pics except little croppings and resizing.

This is FA 100-300mm without flash

This is the 18-250 without flash: Colors are dull, scene is foggy comparing to FA 100-300

This is 18-250 with flash. Little better than without flash but still not up to FA 100-300mm

It seemed there is a net curtain between the glassware and the lens, just like the extreme UV effect on the mountain. Still with flash and more light contrast seemed little better to me. I'll try at the daylight tomorrow.. Also there is design flaw, lens creeps when holding down.

Last edited by cbaytan; 01-13-2010 at 11:51 AM.
01-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
This is the 18-250 without flash: Colors are dull, scene is foggy comparing to FA 100-300
I must have this lens! It can change the arrangement and colour of subject matter! The two images look completely different while they were obviously taken from the same spot under the same lighting to enable a comparison.

OK, enough with sarcasm.
I find it surprising that you want to compare the two lenses on this basis. I'd shoot from the same spot making sure the light doesn't change. The older lens seems to yield an image that is underexposed in comparison. This naturally yields richer colours. I would have tried to bring down the levels of the 18-250 to make a comparison but the images are so different there is hardly any point in doing it.

The 18-250 surely has to make some compromises to achieve the enormous range but it is contrasty and sharp over a large focal range. In my experience it is visibly more contrasty than old M glass like the M135/3.5.

I think before you pass a final judgement you should compare again.

Lens creep should not occur with a new lens. My Tamron 18-250 didn't show that for months but over time the creep became pretty drastic (which I believe is normal for this model but also for many other zooms).
01-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #52
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I think before you pass a final judgement you should compare again.

Lens creep should not occur with a new lens. My Tamron 18-250 didn't show that for months but over time the creep became pretty drastic (which I believe is normal for this model but also for many other zooms).
Sure will torture test again, sadomazo

Mine started creeping right away from the box, it's a brand new lens BTW.

01-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Sure will torture test again.
Good boy.

BTW, where did you find that smilie? I only see 15 smilies and the one you used is not among them.

Mine started creeping right away from the box, it's a brand new lens BTW.
Perhaps that's a real difference between the Pentax and the Tamron version?
01-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #54
Inactive Account

Original Poster

BTW, where did you find that smilie? I only see 15 smilies and the one you used is not among them.
You can upload or point a new simile from your account menu.
Here is a good one starwars

Perhaps that's a real difference between the Pentax and the Tamron version?
Yeah right, isn't there a screw around somewhere so we can tighten it a bit and creeping stops. bored
01-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #55
Pentaxian

You can upload or point a new simile from your account menu.
Is that the "user control panel"? I looked everywhere but didn't find such an option. Your smilies are all very good.

I did a quick search on how to address the zoom creep on a 18-250 yourself, but it didn't unearth anything. Since it has a lock at the 18mm position, the creep doesn't bother me unless I'm using the lens on a tripod and shoot up or down pretty drastically.
01-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #56
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Is that the "user control panel"? I looked everywhere but didn't find such an option. Your smilies are all very good.

I did a quick search on how to address the zoom creep on a 18-250 yourself, but it didn't unearth anything. Since it has a lock at the 18mm position, the creep doesn't bother me unless I'm using the lens on a tripod and shoot up or down pretty drastically.
Manage account -> custom smilies, maybe you need to donate for a few bucks to upgrade your account.

Lock at 18mm? Where is it at? I'll check now.
01-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I did a quick search on how to address the zoom creep on a 18-250 yourself, but it didn't unearth anything.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/86562-zoom-creep.html
01-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Manage account -> custom smilies, maybe you need to donate for a few bucks to upgrade your account.
I see, thanks. It is probably a pro feature.

Lock at 18mm? Where is it at?
I guess you have found it by now. A little switch at roughly the 2 O'clock position (when locking from the camera). Easy to operate with fingernails. Without them, perhaps not quite as easy.

Good find, thanks. I posted a question regarding the potential for abrasion. It would be better if one could just tighten a screw but the silicon band solution may be handy in some situations.
01-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I posted a question regarding the potential for abrasion. It would be better if one could just tighten a screw but the silicon band solution may be handy in some situations.
I haven't seen any solution other than an elastic band. I've looked a lot, because I do find the problem annoying. The 18-250 is the only lens I own that creeps.