Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you use PEF or DNG?
PEF 9938.22%
DNG 13752.90%
Neither 72.70%
Both 166.18%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #31

NaClH2O, try to shoot 2GB card full of PEFs and another time full of DNGs. I predict bigger difference in the number of images stored.

03-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #32

I shoot DNG, because I like to not convert on import into Lightroom. Why Process more than Necessary. I have filled cards with both PEF and DNG, my 4G cards hold 246 DNG's and 249 PEF's. Not a big enough difference to convert on import in my opinion.
03-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #33
Forum Member

I shot PEF on my DS. But the K10D PEF is different enough that my old PS CS will not open, and Adobe is not adding it to CS. So DNG for me now. CS likes it, so I like it.
03-12-2008, 02:53 AM   #34
Inactive Account

I don't use neither.What about you all.

01-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I use Adobe's DNG converter to losslessly compress the DNG after I import them to my computer.
It is not a widely known fact (you will not read about this @ Barry Pearson's DNG scam website at least) that Adobe's own DNG converter will discard a lot of important raw data during the conversion of the native raw format to DNG file.

Thanks to GordonBGood who put a nice summary of how the data contained in the "black masked-to-light" pixels from a sensor can be used, the data that Adobe DNG converter will discard during the conversion w/o any warning of any kind:

"....
1) Use them to measure and back out Wide Band Vertical Patterns in the K10D and K20D.

2) Use them to tweak out the magenta to green tingeing from left to right that the K10D has at high ISO's or for highly boosted as to exposure and contrast images.

3) Use them to eliminate the border tingeing of the K20D that occurs in the same cases as the tingeing of the K10D above as is done using my Raw Border Correction (RBC) utility for the K20D.

4) Use them to measure and eliminate from the raw data the "Thin Green Line" problem of the K-7 for some camera samples when the sensor got warm had it not been fixed with a firmware update from Pentax.

5) Possibly use them to determine a different method of black level compensation for the K-x if necessary if conventional raw conversion methods produce any Horizontal Pattern Noise (HPN)
...." (c) GordonBGood

The point here ? Do not use Adobe DNG converter at all. And stay away from DNG format too.
01-18-2010, 12:00 AM   #36
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/85538-pentax-ra...le-format.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...aw-format.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...at-vs-dng.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/72842-raw-shooting...ormat-dng.html

I could go on and on, but just letting you know that using the search function can turn up some already discussed threads about this subject, which may in fact be the most discussed topic on this forum over the past few years. I don't think anything has changed much.

Jason
01-18-2010, 04:03 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/85538-pentax-ra...le-format.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...aw-format.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...at-vs-dng.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/72842-raw-shooting...ormat-dng.html

I could go on and on, but just letting you know that using the search function can turn up some already discussed threads about this subject, which may in fact be the most discussed topic on this forum over the past few years. I don't think anything has changed much.

Jason
Come on now, it's only been two years since this thread was last posted to.

01-18-2010, 04:20 AM   #38
Veteran Member

and what has changed between PEF and DNG since then?

Jason
01-18-2010, 04:31 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well in searching a little for the source of what he posted, I found that that was just the latest entry on his blog. Still haven't found the source for that blog post though to see just how new it may be.
01-18-2010, 04:45 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, found it. workflow dng or Raw (PEF) [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review And it only appears to apply to photos converted to DNG from PEF, not those shot in the camera as DNG. Deejjjaaaa seems to have a beef with Adobe.
01-18-2010, 05:25 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
and what has changed between PEF and DNG since then?

Jason
a lot. the new dng 1.3 spec allows for more non-destructible edits to the dng such as dust spots, maybe red eye (was this 1.2 or 1.3)? and a few other things i don't use.
01-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Ok, found it. workflow dng or Raw (PEF) [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review And it only appears to apply to photos converted to DNG from PEF, not those shot in the camera as DNG. Deejjjaaaa seems to have a beef with Adobe.
my beef is simple - they discard raw data and keep silence about that plus good raw converters like C1, DxO, Bibble do not have the same support for DNG as they have for PEF (and Adobe products are as good w/ PEF as w/ DNG)...
01-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Well in searching a little for the source of what he posted, I found that that was just the latest entry on his blog. Still haven't found the source for that blog post though to see just how new it may be.
if you are asking about GordonBGood - check Pentax forum @ dpreview - he writes there... I will help you with the search though, just in case - workflow dng or Raw (PEF) [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

you might want to hear the author of rawnalyze (Gabor Schorr) too

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/528900?tstart=0

"...This attitude of Adobe we know it better what is useful and what is not comes up time and again. For example the masked area is removed from Nikon D90 and D300 files as well; although the pixel values of the image are black level corrected already, still that data should not be removed. The fact, that one doesn't know any usefulnes of that data is not the same that there can be no use of it...."
01-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by attack11 Quote
a lot. the new dng 1.3 spec allows for more non-destructible edits to the dng such as dust spots, maybe red eye (was this 1.2 or 1.3)? and a few other things i don't use.
all raw converters are doing non destructive edits to all raw files... except may be Adobe's own ( Adobe Forums: I canīt extract all raws from dng )
01-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My vote has changed a bit since the thread began. The additon of the K-x to my stable has forced me back to DNG for that camera, since I'm not ready to upgrade my software.