Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
After some window shopping...some lenses seem to be on the rise...again...
Posted By: brecklundin, 08-05-2010, 12:08 AM

I was doing some window shopping over the last week and can say for sure the Limited's are creeping up in price and now the K7 bodies are doing the same on Amazon...then there is some oddness which seems to be happening with the DA*55 on Amazon and now another vendor is showing that as a Clearance lense though both could easily be errors.

But Limited's are seriously increased over the past month...the 77ltd is pushing the $900 level and even the $1000 level in some places. The 35ltd is holding steady at B&H for about $540 though it has increased a good $30-$40 other places...and the 15, 21, 43 all seem to have taking not insignificant price increases as well...

I have not been following the SDM lenses but they too seem higher than the beginning of the year but a good 5% or more...

or is it just me?

My concern is Hoya is playing a sticker shock diversion game with the looming new bodies which will be announced in a few weeks...by increasing the current models the significantly increased prices of new models/builds will not see as such to all those new K-x users who now want the latest and greatest and still have a warm-fuzzy from the K-x "experience"...I am taking new from the P&S market who really don't follow it all like folks here...

Or it could just be nobody is carrying Pentax but a handful of shops so there is no competition and now they are raising prices until sales slow then will hover in that area as long as sales remain viable.
Views: 2,233
09-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I agree with what you are saying. Could also be the supply and demand game. The K7 and Kx turned out to be very popular, increasing sales. While it is normal to see a price decrease after time, if more people are buying them, the manufacturer has less incentive to lower prices. The life cycle curve sometimes gets strange at this point in a products life. In any event, it will be interesting to see what happens to the prices now that tht eKr has been released and the K5 has been announced.