Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax FA 85mm f/1.4
Posted By: blackbirdoor, 08-08-2010, 08:14 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

hey guys just a quick post on what looks like to be a very well cared for lens on auction at ebay, link is Pentax FA smc 85mm f/1.4 F1.4 IF - eBay (item 280545855324 end time Aug-10-10 22:25:50 PDT) , It'll be interesting to see how high this lens can fetch on the used market in this condition, as stated by seller.
Views: 6,231
08-09-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should come close to the $2k range. Definitely interesting to watch!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-09-2010, 03:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackbirdoor Quote
hey guys just a quick post on what looks like to be a very well cared for lens on auction at ebay, link is Pentax FA smc 85mm f/1.4 F1.4 IF - eBay (item 280545855324 end time Aug-10-10 22:25:50 PDT) , It'll be interesting to see how high this lens can fetch on the used market in this condition, as stated by seller.
My main concern would be the fact that the seller has (literally) zero feedback. I understand that everyone has to have a first sale at some point, but I would just proceed with caution buying something this expensive under these circumstances.

That said, I saw it yesterday and has thoughts about upgrading to a better condition FA*85
08-09-2010, 05:30 AM   #4

Original Poster
the no feedback history does bother me too...at least seller has 7 days return, if that works you know? lol

08-09-2010, 05:36 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With all the buyer protection out there, I would personally not be that concerned. Usually it's the seller that has a hard time finding reputable buyers!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-09-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

the no feedback history does bother me too...at least seller has 7 days return, if that works you know? lol
True, although keep in mind that the shipping cost back and forth to China isn't cheap (although relative to the cost of the lens it's not that bad I suppose).

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
With all the buyer protection out there, I would personally not be that concerned. Usually it's the seller that has a hard time finding reputable buyers!
That's true, the buyer should be covered by the paypal/ebay protection if something were to go wrong. I was just pointing it out as it is something to be aware of as a buyer as even with protection, it can be a pain in the butt to deal with and you could potentially be without the money you spent while the issue is being resolved. Then again, it is a FA*85 in excellent+ condition with the original box... so perhaps it's worth the small risk
08-09-2010, 05:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
It doesnt' concern me if its a high priced item here in the states im bidding on, but my flag goes up when its overseas, places like china. I don't know if they have relevant authorities to go after the person if it turns out they're a fraud. And it would take a while for ebay or paypal to return the funds to you, since you have to open a resolution case and they would have to investigate it.

I have more trust in stores in china or elsewhere than i do for individual person selling out of their homes, but then again thats what makes up most of the sellers on ebay and on the marketplace right? lol

---------- Post added 08-09-10 at 08:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
True, although keep in mind that the shipping cost back and forth to China isn't cheap (although relative to the cost of the lens it's not that bad I suppose).
Right, I suppose if the seller can ship it to the states for $16 dollars, I can probly match that or a bit more. Usually that turns out to be not the case. $16 dollars might be bit more when converted to yuans I imagine, I wouldn't know if he feels the same pain of shipping cost that I do if it needs a return.

08-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Right, I suppose if the seller can ship it to the states for $16 dollars, I can probly match that or a bit more. Usually that turns out to be not the case. $16 dollars might be bit more when converted to yuans I imagine, I wouldn't know if he feels the same pain of shipping cost that I do if it needs a return.
FWIW, you can ship a 2 pound package to China for about that ($16) via 1st class mail, but there would be no tracking nor any insurance. If you ship it via Express Mail with insurance (and tracking), it runs about $40.
08-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
FWIW, you can ship a 2 pound package to China for about that ($16) via 1st class mail, but there would be no tracking nor any insurance. If you ship it via Express Mail with insurance (and tracking), it runs about $40.
I can't believe someone tried to offer him only $500.
08-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Not sure what you mean; $500 was just the opening bid.
08-10-2010, 06:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Not sure what you mean; $500 was just the opening bid.
Ha! I saw that too--it's in the questions at the bottom:

"Q: I offer the $500 including free shipping to Ireland or Germany. Item has to be shipped with insurance and tracking."

Could've at least offered to kick in for shipping!

There's another question asking about a buy-it-now price and he replies:
"Hi, Please just bid. Thanks."

I love it!
08-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Ha! I saw that too--it's in the questions at the bottom:

"Q: I offer the $500 including free shipping to Ireland or Germany. Item has to be shipped with insurance and tracking."

Could've at least offered to kick in for shipping!

There's another question asking about a buy-it-now price and he replies:
"Hi, Please just bid. Thanks."

I love it!
Ahhh, I didn't see the questions at the bottom. Hey, I guess it never hurts to ask
08-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #13

Original Poster
he knows what its worth, low-ball offer cracks me up. We'll see how reasonably high this can go, haha. The guys got a sense of humor, not letting anyone take shortcuts by just offering him low ball offers, JUST BID MAN JUST FRIGGIN' BID !!!
08-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

he knows what its worth, low-ball offer cracks me up. We'll see how reasonably high this can go, haha. The guys got a sense of humor, not letting anyone take shortcuts by just offering him low ball offers, JUST BID MAN JUST FRIGGIN' BID !!!
Maybe I'll make him a lowball offer for just the hood, to go with my hood-less FA*85
08-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #15

I wonder why the seller even bothers to sell it on ebay. If you have been in China, you would know Camera lenses there are much more expensive than U.S. If the lens is as good as he claimed, he can easily sell it for 2000 dollars. I know a lot of Pentax fanboys personally from China. This just doesnt make any sense to me. Keep one thing in mind, the exchange rate of Chinese Yuan to US dollars are getting higher and higher recently. One US dollar was equal to 8 Chinese Yuan couple years ago. Now it is worth 6.4.

I have heard that a lot of Chinese photography gear sellers collect old/beatup lenses and refurbish it to make it look new. Hopefully, this is not the case.

Adam was right. Under ebay buyer protection policy, you probably will get your money back if the seller is s scammer. However, it takes month to go through the stupid process.

Anyway, good luck for whoever buying this.