Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax K-5 for $1,297.99 @ Amazon Warehouse Deals
Posted By: Clinton, 01-25-2011, 09:03 AM

Someone should really snap this up quick.

Amazon.com: Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 3-Inch LCD (Black Body Only): Warehouse Deals
Views: 3,812
01-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice find (used though)!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Clinton, you amaze me. You're always finding deals... :P
01-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hate to rain on the parade, but it's a customer return and given the number of K-5 bodies that have been returned to Amazon (at least 2 from me), there is at least a decent chance it has issues. Granted, if you mark your return as defective it won't end up there, but if someone just returned it as "no longer wanted" within the return period despite it having issues, it would be resold in the warehouse deals section. Again, this could be a great deal, but I just wanted to give potential buyers a heads-up.

01-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Hate to rain on the parade, but it's a customer return and given the number of K-5 bodies that have been returned to Amazon (at least 2 from me), there is at least a decent chance it has issues. Granted, if you mark your return as defective it won't end up there, but if someone just returned it as "no longer wanted" within the return period despite it having issues, it would be resold in the warehouse deals section. Again, this could be a great deal, but I just wanted to give potential buyers a heads-up.
That is definitely true - I wonder what their policy would be if that were the case - whether it would be refund only, or if they would do a replacement. The other option would be to get it serviced under warranty - you have a receipt and the camera, Pentax couldn't deny service for that could they?
01-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting discussion. Wouldn't there be a full amazon return policy on it? If so, if it were defective (stained) then you should be able to get a refund or exchange (or maybe not the exchange)...
01-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Could also be a non-US warranty camera. Worth finding out some more.
01-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I bought the first of the warehouse deals before they just dropped the price. I paid $1,338 with the full expectation that it would come with a stained sensor. When it arrived my suspicion was confirmed and after a quick call to Pentax I had a prepaid shipping label to send it in for warranty repair/replacement. So I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks to save $130 off of the B&H price.

01-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
However they'll quickly take a return (and cover return shipping) on something from warehouse deals that's defective.
01-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
I bought the first of the warehouse deals before they just dropped the price. I paid $1,338 with the full expectation that it would come with a stained sensor. When it arrived my suspicion was confirmed and after a quick call to Pentax I had a prepaid shipping label to send it in for warranty repair/replacement. So I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks to save $130 off of the B&H price.
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
However they'll quickly take a return (and cover return shipping) on something from warehouse deals that's defective.
You're both correct. I was just throwing it out there that it would be somewhat likely to be stained.

Having just gone through two purchases and returns, I'm just not (personally) in the mood to do it a third time right now

As for sending it to Pentax for service, my concern was how long the wait would be to receive it back since I assume they are getting a ton of them in daily to deal with the same issue. I was somewhat concerned with how long it might take them (Pentax) to get a sufficient number of "clean" sensors (or new bodies) to do the replacements. I figured it was quite possible that by the time I got my K-5 back from them the price might have already dropped that same $130
01-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter

You're both correct. I was just throwing it out there that it would be somewhat likely to be stained.

Having just gone through two purchases and returns, I'm just not (personally) in the mood to do it a third time right now

As for sending it to Pentax for service, my concern was how long the wait would be to receive it back since I assume they are getting a ton of them in daily to deal with the same issue. I was somewhat concerned with how long it might take them (Pentax) to get a sufficient number of "clean" sensors (or new bodies) to do the replacements. I figured it was quite possible that by the time I got my K-5 back from them the price might have already dropped that same $130
If supply remains less than demand given the popularity and the need for replacement units, the price is not coming down anytime soon.
01-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
If supply remains less than demand given the popularity and the need for replacement units, the price is not coming down anytime soon.
I know. It's going to be a balancing act between a lower than expected supply (due to QC issues and the need for replacements) vs a potentially lower demand (again, due to QC issues and people sitting out until things are resolved).

I would agree that the net effect is probably going to be a somewhat stagnant price for at least a couple of months. I was kind of joking when I said by the time I got the K-5 back from Pentax the price would be$130 lower.... I was more suggesting it might be a (really) long time before I got the camera back