Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
FA*24 for $569 at KEH (please read before buying)
Posted By: dgaies, 03-09-2011, 01:22 PM

Just to let everyone know, there is an FA*24 for $569 at KEH.com. I actually bought this lens a couple weeks ago and had to return it because it backfocused badly and would not focus past 3-4 meters. I tested it on more than one body and I have no reason to believe that it was my own user error that caused this problem. Now, it's entirely possible that KEH fixed the lens before putting it back up for sale, but I just wanted to make any potential buyers of the lens aware of this as there is at least a decent chance that you may encounter the same issues.
Views: 2,136
03-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Either the mechanism slipped out of focus or the lens was repair b4. Pentax should really redo this lens with updated optics in DA package w/o SDM.
03-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Either the mechanism slipped out of focus or the lens was repair b4. Pentax should really redo this lens with updated optics in DA package w/o SDM.
It would be nice to get a fast ~24mm prime in production. To be honest, I would be ok with it being a DA* lens (w/ SDM) similar to the DA*55. I know that won't be a popular comment, and I'm not suggesting that is my preference. I just think if Pentax were to release a lens in the 24 range, it would be an SDM/DA* lens since there is already a 21mm limited.

Regarding the one I returned; it's possible that the one I had was able to be repaired and that they did so and are now relisting it. I really like KEH and I would hope that they would not knowingly resell a lens that was defective in anyway. That said, I just wanted to put it out there for anyone who was thinking about buying it in case they run into the same issue.
03-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I really like KEH and I would hope that they would not knowingly resell a lens that was defective in anyway.
Did you tell KEH there was a problem, or that you just didn't want it?

03-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Did you tell KEH there was a problem, or that you just didn't want it?
No, I was very specific and told them exactly what the issue was, including the different bodies I tested it on, the K-x and PZ-1p (I didn't have the K-5 at the time).

They certainly treated it as a defective item return as they paid for shipping back (which they don't so if you just decide you don't want an item).
03-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #6

There's 2 there now. This lens might not be so rare. It could have been a different lens.
03-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pz1fan Quote
There's 2 there now. This lens might not be so rare. It could have been a different lens.
The one I was referring to was sold a couple days after I made this post, which was over two weeks ago at this point.