Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax FA* 300/2.8 on Ebay for $3400 BiN
Posted By: Clinton, 05-16-2011, 06:32 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Pentax FA* 300mm f/2.8 | eBay

Here's your shot at this glass.
Views: 4,261
05-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would love to try it but unless its IQ is visibly better than the equivalent Sigmas (300/2.8 and the 120-300/2.8) its overprice already. Of course, if I had Clinton's kind of money that wouldnt be an issue and I might order TWO of them.
05-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Saw that last night. Even considered it for a second as there's only a few days left before the 10% rebates on ebay end. But as strong as my LBA is for lenses I don't need, even I won't be trying this one out
05-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #4

its overprice already

05-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How many here are waiting for the last second to submit a $2800 bid? If there are too many, I better buy it now. Anyone?
05-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
How many here are waiting for the last second to submit a $2800 bid? If there are too many, I better buy it now. Anyone?
If someone wanted this lens and was planning to bid on it, I'm pretty sure it would be counterproductive to let you know so that you could buy it first. Just saying
05-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One sold on ebay yesterday for $3550 I believe

05-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I would love to try it but unless its IQ is visibly better than the equivalent Sigmas (300/2.8 and the 120-300/2.8) its overprice already. Of course, if I had Clinton's kind of money that wouldnt be an issue and I might order TWO of them.
Well, since I've got all the cake (apparently) I'll take 4, just for good measure.

By the by, the cake is a lie.
05-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
DJP

Photos: Gallery
I've been watching this and I'm interested in the lens, but what do you think about the feedback score of 0 on ebay. Is it just a fraud. Someone who just made an ebay account to sell this one lens? Is there any security here?
05-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DJP Quote
I've been watching this and I'm interested in the lens, but what do you think about the feedback score of 0 on ebay. Is it just a fraud. Someone who just made an ebay account to sell this one lens? Is there any security here?
By "any security here", I assume you mean on eBay?

FWIW, there is a fair amount of seller protection on eBay. That said, a "0" feedback on an item this expensive would certainly cause me to be cautious. It's certainly possible the seller is legitimately selling an FA*300 and just hasn't sold or bought anything in the past. The seller's account was created over 2 years ago, so unless someone hijacked the account, the seller didn't create this account specifically to sell this lens (unless it was a multi-year plan).
05-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
DJP

An ebay feedback score of "0" seems like a big risk the more I think about it. I always thought you start out small with ebay and slowly build up your feedback score then move on to sell the bigger items. This seller has nothing invested in ebay and has no established reputation. Seems like it would be easy for them to screw someone out of $2800.00 and then close this account and move on to another one (that they could have opened years ago). Am I wrong or is there some security for the buyer through ebay that I don't know about.
05-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

An ebay feedback score of "0" seems like a big risk the more I think about it. I always thought you start out small with ebay and slowly build up your feedback score then move on to sell the bigger items. This seller has nothing invested in ebay and has no established reputation. Seems like it would be easy for them to screw someone out of $2800.00 and then close this account and move on to another one (that they could have opened years ago). Am I wrong or is there some security for the buyer through ebay that I don't know about.
Yes, as I stated in the previous post, eBay/PayPal does offer pretty substantial buyer protection (link). Obviously you run the risk of being out $3000+ for a couple of months while all the paper work is done, but you will get your money back eventually. I have a friend (no really, it was a friend, not me) who bought something on eBay that turned out to be a scam and he got his $1000+ back eventually.
05-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
DJP

Thanks for the link! I have used ebay, but not a lot. Its good to know there is some protection.
05-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link! I have used ebay, but not a lot. Its good to know there is some protection.
You're welcome, good luck with whatever you decide to do
05-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have sold expensive items on ebay ($4,000 guitars) and most people are always concern, that is the reason you can use an escrow services. That is, you pay, but the money does not get to the seller until the item is delivered. Once you signed satisfied, the escrow person pays the seller. They charge a small fee. It is worth.