Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Amazon warehouse deals K-5 for $1159
Posted By: Clinton, 05-24-2011, 09:23 AM

Amazon.com: Used and New: Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 3-Inch LCD (Black Body Only)
Views: 2,502
05-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Forum Member

My fear would be the warehouse has older productions that have the sensor problem. There is a thread someplace from a guy who ordered from the warehouse and it had that problem. Food for thought, not that Pentax wouldn't fix it.
05-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KLSMpls Quote
My fear would be the warehouse has older productions that have the sensor problem. There is a thread someplace from a guy who ordered from the warehouse and it had that problem. Food for thought, not that Pentax wouldn't fix it.
Mhm, I think Pentax would go good on it though. So if you don't mind having your camera in the shop for a month or so, then it's a great price!
05-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
yeah i saw them too. very tempting price..but worry about issue too.

05-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #5

I bought a used K5 from the Amazon Warehouse and sent it back the next day. It was listed Like New. It came 4,200 shutter counts on it and was very dirty I found a defect in that it would not auto rotate the image on display, and the owners manual was coffee stained on about a third of the book. It was shipped in a long box three times the length of the camera box, and with a single air pillow to hold it in place in one end, there was no other packing material. When I sent it back, the UPS store would not accept the original shipping container from Amazon, and I did not get a refund on all of my shipping. I decided that I'd spend the extra money to buy new. It looks like the Amazon Warehouse wasn't paying attention, or in a hurry. So, my experience was disappointing with them.
06-01-2011, 04:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scottk13 Quote
I bought a used K5 from the Amazon Warehouse and sent it back the next day. It was listed Like New. It came 4,200 shutter counts on it and was very dirty I found a defect in that it would not auto rotate the image on display, and the owners manual was coffee stained on about a third of the book. It was shipped in a long box three times the length of the camera box, and with a single air pillow to hold it in place in one end, there was no other packing material. When I sent it back, the UPS store would not accept the original shipping container from Amazon, and I did not get a refund on all of my shipping. I decided that I'd spend the extra money to buy new. It looks like the Amazon Warehouse wasn't paying attention, or in a hurry. So, my experience was disappointing with them.
FYI the K-5 doesn't auto-rotate images on playback - so you're not disappointed when you get one again!
06-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #7

Really, I didn't know this! There was a menu item where you could set auto rotate. Since my K7 would auto rotate I assumed the K5 would. Has assumption bit me again?!
06-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Brooke Meyer

Bought one from Amazon Warehouse Deals, its okay.

I've been wanting a 2nd K-5, always shoot with 2 bodies. Bought the Amazon Warehouse deal for 1,146. Arrived this afternoon. In original box with all accessories. Looks new. Mfr date was 2 weeks prior to my B&H purchased K-5. Had latest firmware and 1,688 exposures which in my case is a ballet rehearsal. Sensor is clean, DA 50-135 & Tamron 28-75 ok. Still had photographer name in it, Jim Saureressig, a guy on this forum. Wrote and asked him why he returned. Reset to defaults, DNG & turned off AF assist light, distracts dancers.

So now I have 2 K-5s with a K20 backup which is where I wanted to be. A year ago it was 2 K20's and a K10 backup. The lenses stay the same.

The only auto function I use is focus. Shoot DNGs & manual exposure guided mostly by experience and a Digisix meter. I have no use use for Liveview, HDR, Video, etc.

Quiet shutter, okay focus, clean high iso, rugged and DNG out does the trick. Okay, so there is the great dynamic range.

06-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scottk13 Quote
Really, I didn't know this! There was a menu item where you could set auto rotate. Since my K7 would auto rotate I assumed the K5 would. Has assumption bit me again?!
wait, I might be thinking of something different. With the K-7, if you physically turned the camera during playback (i.e. from landscape to portrait), the photo would rotate so that it would be still be viewed properly. That doesn't happen with the K-5.

The images will however still auto rotate based on the original orientation of the camera (i.e. it vertical/portait orientation is still auto rotated on playback so that it is viewed correctly with the camera held in the landscape position).