Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Porst 135mm 1.8 Ultra Fast Teleportrait lens Pentax K
Posted By: jjdgti, 06-16-2011, 10:47 AM

I never seen this lens before. Certainly looks like a very fast lens. I am familiar with the Porst 50mm 1.2 but not this one. Is this price a little high for this manual lens?

See it here:
Porst 135mm 1.8 Ultra Fast Teleportrait lens Pentax K | eBay
Views: 2,878
06-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The price is a little high, but it seems, these lenses get rarer now. I have one, albeit in M42 with a K adapter. It is nicely made, with smooth focusing. You need a substantial hood to increase contrast, especially wide open. Nevertheless at f/1.8 the contrast is quite low, which adds some glow to the subject. That can be quite nice for portraits or some nature shots (close-up etc.) The f/1.8 aperture setting is ideal to isolate subjects from the backgrounds. Colour rendering is of course always a personal thing, but I quite like it.

Stopped down, sharpness and especially contrast improve - but taken the size and weight into consideration, you'ld be better off, if you'ld buy a slower lens, unless you want to use the lens at aperture between f/1.8 and f/2.8.

It is an old lens and the giant front element is prone to scratching, so be careful, if you consider to buy one. On the other hand, it is only a five lens elements construction and quite easy to take apart, if it needs cleaing inside.

All in all, I like this lens very much, but use it (too) rarely.

Ben
06-17-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ben: Thanks for your feedback.
06-17-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Nevertheless at f/1.8 the contrast is quite low, which adds some glow to the subject. That can be quite nice for portraits or some nature shots (close-up etc.) The f/1.8 aperture setting is ideal to isolate subjects from the backgrounds. Colour rendering is of course always a personal thing, but I quite like it.
I tried this lens(M42) about two years ago with a K20D and found it didn't suit my needs. The biggest issue with my copy was with fringing at wider apertures. Which was fairly prominent up until the f/3'ish range. Which pretty much negated the whole wider option considering I had a TAIR-11 that was consistently sharper with better CA/PF performance.

PS. I payed a little over 400USD for mine(if memory serves).

06-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I tried this lens(M42) about two years ago with a K20D and found it didn't suit my needs. The biggest issue with my copy was with fringing at wider apertures. Which was fairly prominent up until the f/3'ish range. Which pretty much negated the whole wider option considering I had a TAIR-11 that was consistently sharper with better CA/PF performance.

PS. I payed a little over 400USD for mine(if memory serves).
CAs or PF is a problem of many fast lenses, unfortunately, especially, when they are as old as this one. Whether it is bothering depends on the application. If you can avoid shooting into bright backgrounds with hard edges in the foreground (typically: tree branches with the sky behind them), the abberations seem quite tolerable to me. But everybody has his/her personal tolerance level.

Ben
06-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems a little overpriced. There was one on ebay for a while for about $500 if memory serves. Also, from reading hither and thither, it's not as sharp wide open as the A* 135/1.8.
06-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
It seems a little overpriced. There was one on ebay for a while for about $500 if memory serves. Also, from reading hither and thither, it's not as sharp wide open as the A* 135/1.8.
Ofcourse the Porst is not in the same league as the Pentax - but show me the Pentax 135/1.8 for under 1000 USD in good condition and I happily buy it at once...

Given the price tag, the Porst is a commendable lens. If it is used with a matching lens hood, contrast and thus perceived sharpness are visibly increased.

Ben
06-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look at the price drop to $632. If you're hungry for 135/1.8, this might be the time for you.