Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax K-5 for $1,169, shipping included
Posted By: EsBee, 07-17-2011, 01:08 AM

BestPricePhoto.com is advertising Pentax K-5 Body (Black) for US $1,169, with free shipping.

Although I was more than a bit tempted, I decided to sit this one out but would like to know how the transaction went if anyone ends up getting one from them. The website says this deal expires midnight on July 17th. Earlier it was midnight July 15th but that must have been changed later in the day. I called them in the afternoon but like a lot of similar shops in NYC, they are also closed on Saturdays.

I've never dealt with this merchant so I don't know anything about them first hand. But they seem to have better than acceptable overall rating on PriceGrabber

Last edited by EsBee; 07-17-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Views: 3,267
07-17-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Just another scam website, stay away.
07-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks and good thing someone here knows about them, I couldn't find anything on them in a quick search.

Phew, that was a close call!
07-18-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Black)

1119 USD, and this place has decent reviews on resellerratings - 8.2 lifetime score.
Also, they mention it has a one year USA warranty, which means it is an official Pentax USA import.

07-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bhairavp Quote

1119 USD, and this place has decent reviews on resellerratings - 8.2 lifetime score.
Also, they mention it has a one year USA warranty, which means it is an official Pentax USA import.
Wow the prices are just great!
Really must remember this the next time a new body is announced.
07-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bhairavp Quote

resellerratings.com lists several comments about buyers having to call the merchant (hope it's toll-free) and having to run a gauntlet of accessory pitches. Bleh! Also, some mention of a 3% sales fee of some sort, sounds a lot like the merchant passing the credit card processing charge directly to the buyer so the advertised price can me made low as possible.

I'll wait a few more months when I can get this price at BH or Amazon and skip all the games.
08-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This website has a huge negative following ... google for more info.
08-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #8

Watch out for other fees too!

Many of these bait-and-switch firm reputedly offer free shipping, but tack on an "insurance" fee to the sale (typically 9%), which seems to be another common tactic of these guys to increase profit.

For those of you who can't do the math, that would increase the price from $1,169 to $1,275, or pretty close to some of the main retailers.

I recommend staying away from these shady operators and sticking with known entities - Adorama, B&H and other well-established reputable stores.

Mike

08-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The price at main retailers will likely his 1199 soon enough- I've been seeing increasingly many offers from shady dealers such like these, and would avoid them as well.
08-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I learned to stick with Adorama or B&H. Three times I've fallen for these "deals," and they were always followed by a phone call under false pretenses. Then they try to sell you other stuff, and you find out you need to buy things like batteries, chargers, etc. By the time you add the accessories you need to actualy take pics, it ends up being more than the full package from Adorama or B&H. I've cancelled every one of these shams and now only order from Adomama or B&H. Stick with them.
08-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As with nearly everything, it it sounds too good to be true, it is.

BPP Review

Fraud
10-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #12

BestPricephoto.com and Pentax K-5

I saw the advertisement online and after doing a lot of research on their negative rating, I decided to go for it. I ordered Pentax K-5 body alone with them on September 27th. The order was online. I just wanted to let you all know that this website, although has a ton of negative ratings, is "Not a Scam".They do sell all kinds of imaging products. I contacted the Pentax customer support at Colorado, and was inquired with them if bestpricephoto.com was registered re-seller with them. They said bestpricephoto.com is not a registered re-seller, and also they gave an official list of re-sellers, which they have certified.

Store Locator - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Regarding Shopping Experience:

Although they did kinda ship the product on time, ($999 body ALONE with lots of freebies worth $30), shopping experience wasn't that great to be frank. I didn't believe them until the product shipped out of their warehouse. When i ordered online, they advertised they are closed from Sept 28th to October 2. One bad thing about them is that, they work only from 10AM-3PM EST. So you really don't get a chance to get hold of them. When i ordered K-5 Body online, they emailed me saying i need to call them up and confirm the order as its a high value order, and they do this on order to avid any kind of email-Scams, which sounded convincing. They did mean what they said, but when i tried them, they were constantly trying to sell their crappy accessories along with the confirmed order.They even said the original battery is a demo one and would come only for 30min, which is total bullshit. The OEM Pentax DLi90 battery has earned solid reviews and is a very high quality battery. They did finally push my order through the system, and said they will do their best to process it on 28th before they close. The order didn't go through till October 3rd although i placed the order on Sept 27th, a day before Sept 28th. On October 3rd, the money got charged from my Credit card and the order status showed as "Sent out to be Drop Shipped". I got worried and contacted them on October 3rd. They said the Camera along with Freebies has been shipped out, and that i would get a FedEx tracking number in a day or 2. Meanwhile, i tried calling them several times, and also emailed them several times. But the response was very poor. When i googled what was really meant by rop Shipping", it meant re-sellers usually do this to deceive the customers by charging them for product which is not in stock. I was again worried. But finally, i got a FedEx tracking number email from them. But to my surprise, when i punched in the number into FedEx system, it was recognizing the number as invalid. I contacted FedEx and gave them this number, they said the number is perhaps a tracking number from FedEx, just that it might have not yet been received by FedEx, but the shipping label might have been created. I again called bestpricephoto, who are dam hard to reach over phone. They said the tracking number usually becomes active after 24-484hrs, and as they said, it did become active, and will be delivered on October 7th.

Overall, the shopping experience was frustrating and customer service was very inconsistent, like some technicians were knowledgeable and helpful, while others were simply rude and hung up the phone. so OVERALL, I WOULD GIVE THEM A 6.5/10 RATING. Although they are not a scam, they do give good deals, their customer service, communication and shipping time is horrible. I would recommend this site if you are running tight on money, because they do offer the best prices. * i am not sure on the reviews by some customers that they sell refurbished and grey market items. I contacted Pentax headquarters in Colorado, and they said they don't face any grey market issues, only Nikon and canon do. So far, it hasn't happened to me., They do sell Factory sealed brand new items, but try really hard to sell their Chinese-made junk accessories along with the main good, which is is up to you to dodge them. That is one of the main reason why they would want you to speak to them over phone although you would place the order online. If a slightly costly deal was there with amazon, B&H Photo, Adorama, JR.com or a bunch full of other reputed re-sellers, i would suggest to go with them as they are all certified re-sellers from Pentax, so that if you contact them for future issues, support and exchange would be reliable and better. * In my opinion, Amazon.com is simply unbeatable. i also read some reviews online that, if you buy from bestpricephoto.com and try to return the product, you will be having a horrible time to get your refund, and even if you do so, the restocking is usually 20-30% of the product cost it seems. However, they don't create any trouble with exchanges if the received items are damaged/defective.

My take on buying Cameras from bestpricephoto.com:

They are a real company and not a scam. They are headquartered in New york. They do have on operational office and a warehouse with a toll free Phone number.

Phone: 1-888-782-1617

Sales Department:

Toll free Number - 1-888-782-1617
International - 1-718-280-1015
Fax - 1-718-280-1016
Email - Sales@BestPricePhoto.com

sales department is open:
Sunday: CLOSED
Monday - Thursday: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm EST
Friday: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm EST
Saturday: CLOSED

Customer Service Department:

Toll free Number - 1-888-782-1617
International - 1-718-280-1015
Fax - 1-718-280-1016
Email CS@BestPricePhoto.com
customer service department is open:
Sunday: CLOSED
Monday - Thursday: 11:00 am - 5 pm EST
Friday: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm EST
Saturday: CLOSED

So, i insist not to buy any accessories from bestpricephoto.com, but they are kind of reliable when buying DSLRs. Pentax support did tell me that no matter from where the camera is purchased ( weather its certified re-seller or not) , it is covered with 1year Pentax warranty, provided the product is factory sealed,new and there is an original bill/proof of purchase with you.

So first thing you need to do is to register the camera online at Pentax website, in case you purchased it from bestpricephoto.com. and verify with chat support/phone support if the S.NO and Customer information have been taken in by the Pentax Imaging company.
10-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neeraj137 Quote
Pentax support did tell me that no matter from where the camera is purchased ( weather its certified re-seller or not) , it is covered with 1year Pentax warranty, provided the product is factory sealed,new and there is an original bill/proof of purchase with you.
This is not what I have read or been told in the past. It is my understanding that if you buy a Pentax product from a non-authorized reseller, you can pretty much forget about the 1 year warranty. I suppose this could have changed since I contacted them a couple years ago, but I can't imagine they changed that policy.
10-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #14

I contacted them today and verified this. They do accept warranties if the product is factory sealed and new. * They will do this with the Serial number you register. This has got nothing to do with the Reseller. But the reason why i insist you need to buy stuff from an authorized re-sellers is, they don't play around with available/unavailable stocks. Exchanges and their level of service is far more superior.