Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Pentax FA* 250-600mm Gov't surplus
Posted By: thorswolf, 09-07-2011, 06:09 PM

The Canadian Government's surplus site (Crown Assets) has posted a FA* 250-600mm f/5.6 lens for sale. Being in the region, I went to take a look today. The lens is in great condition, a few dings on the finish (normal) but the glass is pristine. Comes with case, filters, cover, etc. It is complete. The rather cute RCMP officer who showed it to me said it was 2 years old (I can;t vouch for this). I tried the lens and the clarity was excellent. Link below. Inside the case was a Pentax Forums printout from the lens database so they could "evaluate the value".

Right next to this drool fest lens is something that is going up in the next few days: an A* 1200mm f/8.

A few caveats:
I believe you have to be a Canadian citizen to be able to buy. Not sure about that. You may want to look further into it, or lean on a Canuck buddy for this one.
There is NO SHIPPING INCLUDED. It's pick-up only, so you have to make your own arrangements.
It's closed bidding so you place your bid and hope it's the highest.

This is legit, folks. I have bought quite a few things from there, including camera gear, musical instruments, jewelry, etc.

What's for Sale - CADC

Follow the link and type "Pentax" in the search field.

Last edited by thorswolf; 09-07-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Add for completeness
Views: 12,225
09-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #76
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
Adding in the vagaries of Canadian-US exchange rates, couldn't this price be considered "market correct"?
I had no idea people were willing to pay this much when I bought mine. o.o

Don't tell @DrJulie. She'll start encouraging me to sell ours. :P

09-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #77
Site Supporter

Well, I placed what I thought was a low-ball bid on the A* 1200mm assuming one of you other fine ladies or gents would win it.

I won the lens. 1200mm of SMC Pentax glory will be headed my way soon, just as soon as I can get the detailes worked out with GCSurplus.

Two legendary lenses, headed to two forum members? Pretty awesome.

A huge thanks goes out to @thorswolf. I have alerts set up for Pentax 600mm, but I might not have seen the 1200mm without him pointing out it would be out for sale. Should you be in Salt Lake, I owe you a dinner and some shots with this epic glass.
09-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Pretty awesome.
Very awesome! Congratulations! That's the one I would have gone for myself.
09-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #79
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Way to go Clinton!! I will definitely let you know if I'm in Salt Lake. I have seen this baby and it is a marvel to behold. This beast will generate "lens envy" wherever you shoot, my friend!

Yves

09-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #80
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Clinton, did I miss something? Did we find who the buyer of the 250-600mm was??
09-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #81
Site Supporter

Well, I placed what I thought was a low-ball bid on the A* 1200mm assuming one of you other fine ladies or gents would win it.

I won the lens. 1200mm of SMC Pentax glory will be headed my way soon, just as soon as I can get the detailes worked out with GCSurplus.

A huge thanks goes out to @thorswolf. I have alerts set up for Pentax 600mm, but I might not have seen the 1200mm without him pointing out it would be out for sale. Should you be in Salt Lake, I owe you a dinner and some shots with this epic glass.
Nice one Clint! Congratulations!!!

I'm typing this message on a phone - who won the 250-600? I see your reference to both going to forum members, hence my question.

Cheers,
Marc
09-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #82
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats Clinton.
Look forward to seeing what you can do with that hunk of a lens.
09-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #83
Marketplace Reseller

Good for you! i forgot to up my original bid thinking it ended tomorrow... but you still would've out bid me, i'm kind of happy now that i don't have to fork out any cash though

09-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #84
Marketplace Reseller

So Clinton I guess you'll be traveling soon? If you're passing through the Toronto area give me a shout, send a PM, but of course you might be flying.

Mike
09-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Last time I drove across the Canada into US border, my car got searched. (maybe they were looking for Cuban cigars or something). I have only driven across in to the US twice in my life so thats a 50% chance!.

I'd imagine you'd see the whites of the border patrol officers eyes when he sees that Bazooka in the trunk!!
I'd be making sure your paperwork is in order.
09-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Anything to declare?

No Officer, I was just visiting Canada to take pictures of the little birdies with this great big lens I've always had.
09-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #87
Site Supporter

My understanding is that Camera lenses marked for personal use fall under free trade between our nations. I've bought something expensive from Henry's before and it wasn't an issue. I hope it will be so again here.

Presently I'm just hoping to avoid HST.
09-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My understanding is that Camera lenses marked for personal use fall under free trade between our nations. I've bought something expensive from Henry's before and it wasn't an issue. I hope it will be so again here.

Presently I'm just hoping to avoid HST.
You might have to pay it and then fill out some paperwork to get it back. That used to be the case if you had a receipt (and I'm sure the Canadian Government will give you a receipt)!
09-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #89
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
You might have to pay it and then fill out some paperwork to get it back. That used to be the case if you had a receipt (and I'm sure the Canadian Government will give you a receipt)!
Oh? Tell me more!

Edit: NM, I've worked it out with the seller.

Last edited by Clinton; 09-20-2011 at 04:40 PM.
09-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Congrats on the lens!

There should be no Canadian tax payable if the lens is sold directly into the US.
If you have a Canadian friend doing the transaction for you Canadian tax will be charged.
I wouldn't have bid on this but for future possibilities were you able to arrange shipping on the lens with Gov. Surplus?
Hope this makes sense, I'm probably confused.

Regards