Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Amazon pricing
Posted By: Jeff Bennett, 09-20-2011, 07:02 AM

Do they track your and tempt you with bardgains? I looked at this adapter many times.

Amazon.com: Novoflex Adapter MFT/PENT Pentax K Lens to MicroFour Thirds Camera Body: Camera & Photo

It was alway in the 220's 2 days ago it dropped to 210 yesterdat it weas 190 and i went back an hour later and it said 185. I bought it. Today it's back up to 210? We they just trying hard to sell me one?
Views: 1,124
09-20-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm curious why go with the novoflex when fotodiox makes a decent adapter that also controls aperture for $40? I realize it will be a better build quality, but they are both essentially a tube with a small arm built in!

As to your question, Amazon absolutely tracks your browsing and targets goods - my wife was surfing while my account was logged in and I started getting emails about towels on sale!
09-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
I don't think you can control the aperture with the fotodiox adapter unless the lens has an aperture ring. Most of mine are newer lenses that do not have one.
09-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Bennett Quote
Do they track your and tempt you with bardgains?
That has been done by some online retailers. They track your visits using cookies and based on some algorithm either rise or lower the price. Years ago people noticed some retailer (was it Amazon back then also?) offerered a lower price to new customers and by removing the cookie they took advantage of that as a new customer.

09-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow...............I'm going to Amazon to see if the lens I was looking at yesterday is cheaper....

Nope; still the same, but I'll continue to watch it....
09-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, Amazon does track your viewed items and makes recommendations based on that, your past purchases, and items you've marked as "Like". Quite often, the items you view can end up in the "Goldbox" section where you get a nice little discount (typically an extra 5-15% off the sale price). If you search on Google, there are written guides on how to manipulate the Goldbox system.
09-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Bennett Quote
I don't think you can control the aperture with the fotodiox adapter unless the lens has an aperture ring. Most of mine are newer lenses that do not have one.
It is sitting on my shelf, and it most definitely does control aperture on current DA series lenses! In case you want to save a few bucks, the Novoflex doesn't do anything that the fotodiox doesn't...actually you can get the exact same adapter as the fotodiox on ebay from other sellers for even cheaper, I've got this one:

Pentax K lens to MICRO 4/3 M4/3 adapter GH1 E-P1 E-P2 | eBay

These will also do the same job (they are actually probably all made in the same factory, including the fotodiox). note that they are all identical - the wording on the item OPEN--------LOCK is the indicator that these ones control aperture, by a simple twist of dial with the writing, they even have light turn stops that approximate full f-stops):

Pentax K lens to MICRO 4/3 M4/3 adapter GH1 E-P1 E-P2 | eBay

Pentax K lens to MICRO 4/3 M4/3 adapter E-P1 E-P2 GH1 | eBay
09-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #8

Original Poster
Seriously wondering if I should cancel the piece of German metal now?

09-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #9

Original Poster
My DA limited lenses would look so good on that Novoflex adapter on my PEN though.