Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax-A SMC 1:5.6 F=600mm ED for $3400 BiN or $2300 low bid
Posted By: Clinton, 10-14-2011, 10:14 AM

Look at what turned up on ebay this-morning...

Pentax-A SMC 1:5.6 F=600mm ED (if) lens. VG. | eBay
Views: 1,257
10-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The buy it now is gone now. Happy bidding!
10-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
And it finished for $3011. Who is the lucky winner M***o?
11-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Pentax-A SMC 1:5.6 F=600mm ED (if) lens. VG.

I sold this lens some time ago on eBay. Well described and accurate. The buyer has complained about not being able to clean up the "CA" in his photo's the whole time. This lens does shoot with a higher ca in digital than film. So far, two of his photo's (and only two so far) have shown been shown to me and while I agree that the ca is prominent, I disagree that the color cannot be dealt with. Is the buyer not using the lens properly? Any telephoto lens should shoot at less than max for excellent photo's. Also, his lighting is very poor with the two photo's he's shown me. At any rate, I suggested he mix it up and try several techniques as you need to do with any lens. Writing back the buyer states: Quote:

I've tried some more photos, and they've all shown the same thing.

I've tried other lenses, like the Sigma 500mm f/4.5, and it doesn't have anywhere near the same CA. In fact it has none that I can see.

I've used other lenses that do have some CA (the sigma 150-500, for example) that *are* able to be corrected in post processing.

If you'd like, you can download a copy of Adobe Photoshop lightroom and see if you can correct these problems yourself. I was not able to do so, and this is not the first time I've tried to correct for CA.

I guess the bottom line is that I've tried the lens, I've tried doing what you've recommended, and it really hasn't worked. I'd like to return the lens. UN quote:...

How best to proceed here? I will have his photo's and try to correct the ca. Does anyone else want a shot at them? Be happy to send them to you. I will in the end return his money. If I find that with film or with digital shooting that i'm able to correct for ca, I believe I will have no other choice but to leave a negative feedback as I will have determined that he is not using the lens correctly. Any ideas would be helpful, thanks!

11-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I suggest the discussion keep rolling on the user's other thread here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/welcomes-introductions/164361-new-member.html