Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

A* 600/5.6 sold for $2600
Posted By: Clinton, 11-15-2011, 06:08 PM

PENTAX SMC A 600mm f5.6 1:5.6 ED IF TELEPHOTO LENS w/CASE (0027075002159) | eBay

This really was a steal. It came and went so fast that I didn't even have a chance to post about it before it was gone.
Views: 2,076
11-17-2011, 11:25 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup definitely depends on what you want to use it for- for nature/wildlife the MF would be fine, but you're not going to capture anything that's moving fast (like model planes!).

Even with AF lenses, though, the Pentax system needs improvement as it tends to hunt too much. Better than before the K5, but still lacking for action.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Maybe that will be the January announcement?
11-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nice lens, but am I the only one who questions the usefulness of a manual telephoto in the digital era?
These are of the Pentax-A series. Not manual except for focus. While I would much prefer that Pentax produce some auto focus versions
of these grand old optics, and these can and will reliably take some pretty special photos if your tripod is big enough and you have a remote release.
11-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #19
Forum Member

@Adam

My special field with long lenses are birds - admittedly not in flight but perching on trees, in bushes, etc. . More often than not it is very useful to focus manually in order to avoid the AF going to and fro as you move the lens along branches and leaves that get in the way. I suppose I'd write differently if my sujet were fast action sports - as it is I am using MF more and more....

11-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angus Quote
My special field with long lenses are birds - admittedly not in flight but perching on trees, in bushes, etc. . More often than not it is very useful to focus manually in order to avoid the AF going to and fro as you move the lens along branches and leaves that get in the way. I suppose I'd write differently if my sujet were fast action sports - as it is I am using MF more and more....
I agree.
11-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Believe it or not I've had *some* success photographing even flying birds with manual lenses, even the 500mm Takumar.
11-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I'm not sure if I will get to the LBA stage of all of you guys... LOL

Hm...for me $2600 I might spend it on a used FF Camera. Or complete my DA* series, or DA ltd series lenses.

Enjoy your lens and hope to see some pictures!