Show Printable Version Search this Thread
FA*300/2.8 on the 'bay
Posted By: bhairavp, 12-01-2011, 07:58 AM

SMC Pentax-FA* 300mm F2.8 ED [IF] | eBay
1 day to go.
Views: 1,118
12-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I drooled over this for a bit, but even the opening bid is more than I can justify spending.
12-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder what this one will go for? It looks nice!!
12-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Yeah, I've been watching that one, its had that 1 bid since the first few hours, there's a very excited person out there someplace.

12-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
usual suspect bought it.

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Yeah, I've been watching that one, its had that 1 bid since the first few hours, there's a very excited person out there someplace.
I'm the guy. probably overpriced, but those things are bleeping rare as far as I can tell. I received it today. I sort of see it as a 1 for 2 trade so I'll be OK.

I own a Pentax-A* 300 f/2.8 which will be for sale shortly, and I did have
a Pentax DA* 300 which went by-by on Ebay a few days ago. I had one for speed and one for auto focus, now one that does both. Pleasantly it is
significantly smaller and lighter than the Pentax-A* model....--- Not sure how they did that.

out of curosity-----has anyone evaluated the IQ of this FA/2.8 compare to either
the DA*300 or the Pentax-A 300 2.8? or know what the list price of this was?
12-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The DA is a stop slower so it's a different ball game, but the FA* is one of Pentax's sharpest lenses. Only thing it lacks is quick shift
12-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I hope you got a good one. The one I had was not sharp even stopped down at distances over about 30 feet. I had to trade it to a dealer at some loss because I didn't want to sell it to anybody and pentax wouldn't fix it after two tries. After they said they would under warranty. I'm sure most are just fine though.
12-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The DA is a stop slower so it's a different ball game, but the FA* is one of Pentax's sharpest lenses. Only thing it lacks is quick shift
I guess so, not like the DA's but it has a 'slip collar' clutch like the DA* 24 f/2
and a focus limit switch. I haven't gotten it in the same room with my camera yet, and it will be the end of the week before I can have a shoot off, but it sure looks nice. It comes with a soft bag case and shoulder strap instead of the
traditional 'hard Aluminum case' which though probably cheaper, for the size of lens may be an improvement, particuarly because it is actually light enough that you might go for a walk with it.

12-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I hope you got a good one. The one I had was not sharp even stopped down at distances over about 30 feet. I had to trade it to a dealer at some loss because I didn't want to sell it to anybody and pentax wouldn't fix it after two tries. After they said they would under warranty. I'm sure most are just fine though.
Hopefully I didn't end up with your opticial lemon. I paid enough it ought to be good..... If it is front or back focusing the cameras now have some adjustments for that which didn't used to exist.
12-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
Hopefully I didn't end up with your opticial lemon. I paid enough it ought to be good..... If it is front or back focusing the cameras now have some adjustments for that which didn't used to exist.
I'm sure yours is fine, mine wasn't front or back focusing nothing was in sharp focus. I am pretty sure there was an element in the focus group needing adjustment but Pentax Colorado was unwilling or unable to adjust it. They finally told me it was designed for film and some film lenses may not be optimal on digital.(BS) What got me is a skilled lens guy could probably have adjusted it no problem, but pentax didn't care about having made an expensive lens that was sub par and I didn't want to have a third party work on it and break the seal, possibly affecting resale value even more. I had to get another brand for a 300mm f2.8 as a result, mainly on principle.
12-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
out of curosity-----has anyone evaluated the IQ of this FA/2.8 compare to either the DA*300 or the Pentax-A 300 2.8?
I too would like to know how these lenses compare, I really want an FA*300, but they're so dag blasted hard to find and expensive when you do find one. With modern cameras ISO 200 is the new ISO 64**, so the main advantage of the FA* over the DA* would be the shallower DoF, still, there's just something sexy about the FA*.

Edit: **for image cleanliness I mean

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 12-06-2011 at 06:47 PM.
12-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I too would like to know how these lenses compare, I really want an FA*300, but they're so dag blasted hard to find and expensive when you do find one. With modern cameras ISO 200 is the new ISO 64**, so the main advantage of the FA* over the DA* would be the shallower DoF, still, there's just something sexy about the FA*.

Edit: **for image cleanliness I mean
I just ran a series of tests at 18 feet with low indoor lighting-----f2.8 at 1/13th of a second. Learned a couple of things.

a) if you lie about the focal length of a Pentax-A lens it seems to impact more that the anti-shake it seems to change the exposure a little.
b) I deem the Pentax A* and FA* equal for IQ at 18 feet in bad light
c) Hold off your responses----I intend to start a thread in a more appropriate topic in the next couple hours.
12-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Congrats on the Lens. One day I'll have one.......One day..
12-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I put the new thread under SRL lens discussion and the topic has morphed and the thread cops will be circling.