Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 for Pentax - $549.99 at Amazon.com
Posted By: ahw, 02-28-2012, 08:15 AM

Amazon.com is currently selling the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 for Pentax for $549.99. The Canon/Nikon/Sony models are still at the $594 post-$75 rebate price, so it looks like Pentaxians get a $44 discount on top of the rebated price.

Amazon.com: Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD Large Aperture Standard Zoom Lens for Pentax Digital DSLR Camera: Camera & Photo

I've looked around and it's $594 at the regular camera retailers at the moment.

Amazon prices are pretty unstable and their return policy is pretty good, so I figured I'd jump on it while it was hot. Lens was well-regarded in the three lens in-depth review, so I'm excited to see it in action.
Views: 1,416
02-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Still $100+ more expensive than an equivalent Tamron. Though $120 below the December-January price. Maybe it is related to the announcement of the new version with no OS and Amazon is clearing old stock?

Good find!
02-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Given how popular the Tamron version of the same lens and the fact they have the same focal length and constant f/2.8 aperture I'm always surprised at how much more expensive the Sigma is. What am I missing?
02-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
Given how popular the Tamron version of the same lens and the fact they have the same focal length and constant f/2.8 aperture I'm always surprised at how much more expensive the Sigma is. What am I missing?
Some reviews including the official one on this forum have rated the Sigma higher than Tamron. + overall better reputation for Sigma. And many are ready to pay a premium for getting the best product available. I'm not one of these people though

02-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
ahw

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vanyagor Quote
Still $100+ more expensive than an equivalent Tamron. Though $120 below the December-January price. Maybe it is related to the announcement of the new version with no OS and Amazon is clearing old stock?

Good find!
Do you know if the no OS version is being sold under the same model # as the OS version?

I thought that the official review tested the OS on the lens, but the Amazon listing says (in bold) that the Pentax version of this lens does not have OS. So it sounds like Amazon is selling a non-OS version.
02-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The OS and non-OS versions both have OS in their names. In fact, Sigma isn't even bothering to change that, so you won't know whether or not the lens has OS until you see the actual product!

Perhaps the one that Amazon has is the new non-OS one? I'm pretty sure those are already available.
02-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
ahw

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The OS and non-OS versions both have OS in their names. In fact, Sigma isn't even bothering to change that, so you won't know whether or not the lens has OS until you see the actual product!

Perhaps the one that Amazon has is the new non-OS one? I'm pretty sure those are already available.
Thanks for the info. This may be a stupid question, but does the removal of OS substantially change the build of the lens? Is it safe to assume that the review of the OS version would be accurate as to the non-OS version (excepting the bits about the OS system, of course)?

02-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Adam, you may want to change the original info post in news on that then as it says: "The new version will be marketed as "Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM"
02-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by ahw Quote
Do you know if the no OS version is being sold under the same model # as the OS version?

I thought that the official review tested the OS on the lens, but the Amazon listing says (in bold) that the Pentax version of this lens does not have OS. So it sounds like Amazon is selling a non-OS version.
Amazon product description is often inconsistent. One can chat with their customer service and they can provide more accurate info often.
02-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone know the Sigma/HSM provides better/faster AF in low lights and normal situations than the Tamron?