Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax Kr at Australia Post
Posted By: calsan, 03-26-2012, 02:29 AM

Australia Post now sells a Kr kit for (AU)$669.00

Is this a good sign for increased market share and availability of Pentax in Australia?
Views: 979
03-26-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, Australia Post will sell anything it will get it's have on... and to be honest, it dosen't make Pentax look good being sold at Aus Post, for one it's a Post Office - they sell stamps????.

Sure they will get sales, but don't expect any after-sales support or ask the if my Asahi 50mm f1.7 will still get good IQ with it
03-26-2012, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had someone I didn't know from a bar of soap grumbling about what's sold there, in a queue at the Post Office a while back. Frankly, they needed something to generate income from, to hold up the operations they have without outrageously raising the price of stamps, and it's a strategy that's been fairly successful for quite a while now. Some people wish things were the way they used to be (not picking on you, honestly) but as much as I find the inside of a Post Office to be pretty unattractive these days, I'd rather have my postal costs kept down, thank you, and if that's what it takes, then so be it.

As for them selling the K-r, if you're worried it might damage the brand, then ask yourself what audience it's been aimed at. Harvey Norman (the loudest TV adverts in Australia) sells Canon: do you think that damages the brand? If it helps raise brand awareness, then who cares? Nine times out of ten, people won't remember where they saw something, a week later.
03-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dunno about Pentax in Australia, but over where I live (Central Europe) the post office sells all kinda of crazy stuff.
But if the post starts selling something like this it stands to reason the brand will be gaining entry into that market. The Post is pretty mainstream, after all. And some of these mainstream people will then ask pro stores for accessories and lenses for their Pentax cameras.