Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
grey market k5 for $850 - ebay daily deal
Posted By: vagrant10, 05-25-2012, 11:38 AM

Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body (Black) K5 - NEW! 27075176546 | eBay

"This camera is an imported model. It is completely identical to the USA model and is produced by the same factories. This product comes set in English as a standard, with USA connections, and English manuals. Imported models do not carry a USA manufacturer warranty card. Your purchase is covered by a BigValueInc store warranty which covers you for 1 Year. "

but it's new and comes with all the correct accessories. tempted to buy another and use my other receipt if I have an issue - hopefully the serial # wouldn't give me away that this is grey market.

Never heard of this company, but they seem to have good feedback on ebay.
Views: 744
05-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
BigValueInc.com Reviews - bigvalueinc.com Ratings at ResellerRatings

Read the link first please.

I personally would not do business with them for a number of reasons...

First,no physical address. We're not talking an individual but a corporation. This is just a bit of a red flag. But the number listed at the bottm of your sellor listing is in fact traceable to an address.

It's also not that difficult to get a good sellor rating on Ebay. Sell ten items for one dollar to fellow emplyees, friends, etc... and have them give you a good rating. All of the sudden you (the company) is now at ninety plus percent. Unfortunately the rating thing is done everyday and tends to be a bit misleading.

Here is my number one issue - the gray market camera; the company (actually corporation) is not trying to hide this, but they are in fact stating that they do have a one year warranty through their own company. IF the camera would in fact work perfectly there would never be an issue, but... You are really rolling the dice with this one... One minor defect out of about one hundred can make the K-5 in need of a professional repair. Would the corporation really repair it or have the repair done properly? What if it would effect the sensor?

And one of the minor issues; the link I've used - it took me less than a minute to find it. And there is not one single company out there that has a perfect rating, that doesn't have at least a few complaints, but... These four mentioned onthat link are in fact major red flags. That someone bought a cmaera there and then was given a significant run-around, etc...

But if you realy must... Give it some time and think about it. If you really must purchase it; try to know ones credit policies first. There are a number of credit card accounts out there that do completely warranty their purchases for an amount of time.If you happen to have one of those accounts, then it may be worth it, but still knowing that the camera could go south and stick you with a bit of a headache. IF you would want this K-5 as a type of secondary or shared camera system, then it could be worth the gamble.

I've been a career professional since the 80's and have made more than a fair share of purchases. My personal experience is;if I'm electing to purchase a system stateside;then I entrust my well earned money to a company that I know will be there for me. Let me give a shameless plug; B&H has always been there for me.