Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

128Gb SD card - almost $100 off today only
Posted By: Adam, 06-05-2012, 01:12 PM

B&H just posted a 1-day deal on this card. $94 off the regular price for a total of $139.

SanDisk 128GB SDXC Memory Card Extreme Class 10 SDSDRX3-128G-A21
Views: 2,224
06-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You guys trying to buy those D800s should be lapping these up. You're going to need them.

06-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Is it supported by, say, my k-r?
11-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
you would never run out of memory card space!
I said that when the first 1GB card came out... never say never
11-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I said that when the first 1GB card came out... never say never
Yes, recall that Bill Gates once said that all any PC would ever be able to use was 640kb..........

11-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

SDXC is already designed to support 2TB. In 10 years a 2TB card will cost $20 tops.

I'm done with hard drives. A SSD has revitalised my 17" MacBook Pro.
11-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I'm making the move on the K-5 IIs today ("Cyber Monday") and contemplating picking up some new SD cards too. I've been shooting with a K-7 and a 32Gb SanDisk Extreme (SDHC I / Class 10 / 45MB/s)—and I've been pretty frustrated with generally-slow operation while shooting.

Quick question:
How much of that lag is due to the K-7 / Will the lag be largely mitigated with the K-5 IIs?
More specifically—is there any advantage to be gained (while shooting/reviewing) by upgrading my card to an SanDisk Extreme Pro (SDXC I / Class 10 / 95MB/s)?

I can't seem to find the precise metrics on write-speed(s) with the K-5 IIs, so I'm hoping someone can enlighten me quickly. Pulling the images off the card faster would definitely be nice either way, but I'd consider that more of a luxury—whereas the in-camera operation is more of a necessity. FWIW, I don't shoot much video, but I've started to shoot in rapid succession more frequently these days (birds in flight, etc.). Thanks in advance for any help...

Last edited by jasonwarth; 11-26-2012 at 08:22 PM.
11-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jasonwarth Quote
I'm making the move on the K-5 IIs today ("Cyber Monday") and contemplating picking up some new SD cards too. I've been shooting with a K-7 and a 32Gb SanDisk Extreme (SDHC I / Class 10 / 45MB/s)—and I've been pretty frustrated with generally-slow operation while shooting.

Quick question:
How much of that lag is due to the K-7 / Will the lag be largely mitigated with the K-5 IIs?
More specifically—is there any advantage to be gained (while shooting/reviewing) by upgrading my card to an SanDisk Extreme Pro (SDXC I / Class 10 / 95MB/s)?

I can't seem to find the precise metrics on write-speed(s) with the K-5 IIs, so I'm hoping someone can enlighten me quickly. Pulling the images off the card faster would definitely be nice either way, but I'd consider that more of a luxury—whereas the in-camera operation is more of a necessity. FWIW, I don't shoot much video, but I've started to shoot in rapid succession more frequently these days (birds in flight, etc.). Thanks in advance for any help...
You won't notice a big difference because of the SD card. Even with the fastest card, you may see an hourglass when going to instant review.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Even with the fastest card, you may see an hourglass when going to instant review
Thanks for the quick reply, Adam. Much appreciated. I was hoping to avoid the hourglass entirely, but it sounds like I should temper my expectations some. (…tough to do after spoiling myself on SSDs and oodles of RAM on my computer...)
The K-5 IIs does still have a much faster processing engine than the K-7, correct?

11-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jasonwarth Quote
The K-5 IIs does still have a much faster processing engine than the K-7, correct?
I believe it's the same processor (PRIME II). The k-30 and k-01 are faster (PRIME M).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: