Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
DA*60-250 $1287 at Digidirect (AUS)
Posted By: selar, 06-18-2012, 06:02 PM

PENTAX DA 60-250mm f4 ED AL LTD Lens | DigiDIRECT Australia

I went to see them, they dont keep stock, they have to order in. I asked on Monday, he said he can get by Monday. Apparently CRK is giving some sort of rebate to retailers for clearing inventory of this lens. So if you cant pick up from Digidirect, bargain hard with your local retailer.
Views: 2,469
06-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Take what Digidirect say about being able to order anything quickly with a HUGE grain of salt.

I've been waiting for a DA* 300 from them for over two weeks now, with no indication yet from them of any stock arriving or anything being delivered to me. In a few days I will have to cancel the order I think and buy from someone who can actually sell me a lens.

Note that when you place an order with Digidirect, they charge your credit card immediately, so you end up paying for the lens even though you haven't received it yet. Places like DCW and other more reputable camera dealers only charge your card upon shipment.
06-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Australia doesn't get allocated many Pentax lenses, so the delay is most likely caused by CR Kennedy being out of stock and having to order a new batch in. Back in Nov, I was told I would have to wait till after Christmas for a K5 because thats when the next shipment would arrive. If you are stuck waiting for a DA* 300 for two weeks, its most likely going to be 4-5 weeks.

However, in this case the low price seems to be because CR Kennedy wants to dump stock, and possibly you might get it quickly.
06-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There's an easy way to find out of course, the frog and bone is the source of all wisdom

06-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
frog and bone
I've tried the dog and bone, being tight lipped.
06-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
so the delay is most likely caused by CR Kennedy being out of stock and having to order a new batch in
I'd be surprised if CRK would let the channel empty out of stock before bringing new stock into the country. That means very lumpy stock management and lots of frustrated consumers. As the local Pentax distributors since 1954, I'd like to believe CRK should know how to do things better. So I'll stay grumpy at Digidirect for the moment, rather than CRK.
06-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Take what Digidirect say about being able to order anything quickly with a HUGE grain of salt.

I've been waiting for a DA* 300 from them for over two weeks now, with no indication yet from them of any stock arriving or anything being delivered to me. In a few days I will have to cancel the order I think and buy from someone who can actually sell me a lens.

Note that when you place an order with Digidirect, they charge your credit card immediately, so you end up paying for the lens even though you haven't received it yet. Places like DCW and other more reputable camera dealers only charge your card upon shipment.

I've had mixed experience with Digidirect but find it is better if you can get into the store.

I ordered the DA*300 from Digidirect TWICE!!!. I did it from in store, paid only a 10% deposit. CRK told Digidirect that there would be some coming in 1 week and then the day after that they had suddenly got one in stock. I bought it and paid for it. It was DOA. (methinks a warranty return)
I took it straight back, the manager initially offered me a 6 -7 week wait for another copy or credit for something "of a compatible equivalent". I said ......"What might that be that's compatible?.... How about a Sigma 300mm f2.8?". A full refund was quickly issued. No problems there.

Full of SDM paranoia I missed a couple of FA*300's on ebay and the marketplace so In the end I relented and went back to reorder with my 10% deposit expecting to wait 6weeks. The DA*300 arrived from CRK in about 1 week. Different serial number and I picked it up and throughly tested it with my camera in store first and then paid for it.
This copy is perfect and the price is still the same. now @ 1320. In think the 60-250 was 1399 or something.

The only other lens I ordered from Digidirect over the phone was the DA70 (then $543 which was cheaper than anywhere local) they charged me straight away saying it would be 1-2 day because they had one at another store. Apparently it got sold and I had to wait 7 weeks to get another in from CRK. In the meantime the price went up to about $650.

I also bought a Canon compact from them for the wife. The only model left in the colour she liked was the one in the glass cabinet. It was as new but on display only a couple of shots taken. the guy packed it in the box forgetting to take the SD card out but remembered at just as put it in the bag so I n-e-a-r-l-y scored a free card.

Looking at a tripod they say they can do "a bit better" than the online price to keep you in the store. I supppose it depend on what you're ordering.
They try to sell me the DA40 everytime I go in there.

I bought my K-7 with DCW in Dec 2009 and they were pretty good but wouldn't move on the price. Granted, the price did drop by $350 2 days before I purchased but you have to try.

I think most of the blame goes to CRK. I heard a horror story from a retailer I know that sold a "new" 645D to a customer. He phoned up a week later to say that his "new" 645D already had somebody elses Copyright Info already loaded into it. !!!

Last edited by steve1307; 06-19-2012 at 01:48 AM.
06-19-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for your comments steve1307.

I've bought from digidirect before, various items, experience hasn't been too bad. So I am inclined to wait it out with them on this DA* 300 for a little while longer, I guess.

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
I had to wait 7 weeks to get another in from CRK.
You are a very patient man. I would have bailed on the item long before then.

I mean, air-freight from Japan into Melbourne only takes 24hrs or so So what's up with these sort of delays CRK?
06-19-2012, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Thanks for your comments steve1307.

I've bought from digidirect before, various items, experience hasn't been too bad. So I am inclined to wait it out with them on this DA* 300 for a little while longer, I guess.
as long as the Ser no. ISN'T 9056054

SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
06-19-2012, 04:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
as long as the Ser no. ISN'T 9056054
Thanks very much for that. Noted!!!

I'll be sure to squeal like a stuck pig if anyone tries to dump that one on me.
06-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its also same price at Digital Fun Stuff - Buy Pentax DA 60-250mm F4 ED SDM Lens at Digital Fun Stuff
06-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Its also same price at Digital Fun Stuff - Buy Pentax DA 60-250mm F4 ED SDM Lens at Digital Fun Stuff

Special price for limited stock only, while stock last!
Availability: Out Of Stock More Stock Arriving Soon

but I reckon the standout is this one Buy Pentax D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR Lens at Digital Fun Stuff $655 AUD

Its 750 - 900 elsewhere around here and now 850 USD at B&H. !!!!
06-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

As far as I'm aware Digidirect is a gray market importer ( From Hong Kong) I was told if you have a warranty issue it has to be shipped directly back to them and CRK won't touch it if it fails,
correct me if I'm wrong. I know CRK doesn't stock a lot of the Pentax range in Australia I was lucky enough to get my order for my DA* 60-250 on the back of an existing order. That's why I only waited two weeks for the lens the people at the front of that order waited 3 months.
06-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Westoz Quote
Digidirect is a gray market importer
No, they are not grey - they are official Canon, Nikon etc stockists and get their Pentax stuff from CRK.

I wish they were grey though - I probably would have gotten better service from them. I am still waiting on my DA* 300 and it will soon be 1 month since I placed my order with them. I've been calling them once a week to ask about the item and they say something similar to 'OK, we'll call out supplier and I'll email you back with an update', but they have never done so. Not even once. I am getting tired of their unreliability and poor service.
06-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
No, they are not grey - they are official Canon, Nikon etc stockists and get their Pentax stuff from CRK.

Thank for the correction I just assumed because everything is shipped out of Hong Kong from their eBay adds.

Though the camera shops tell me CRK only place an order for the bigger ticket items when they have enough deposits on the books and they don't stock much in Australia.

Good luck with the DA*300 it's worth the wait have had mine for three years and I love it.