Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Pentax-A* 135/1.8 on ebay ending soon
Posted By: jhaji, 07-17-2012, 08:34 AM

Bidding @ USD 1,000 currently-

Minty, Rare, and Superfast SMC Pentax-A* 1:1.8 135mm Lens | eBay

Hope somebody from here grabs it.

I saw a Chinon 135/1.8 offered by a South African seller there a while ago and it sold for a lot less.

Last edited by jhaji; 07-17-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Views: 2,959
07-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,211
still holding at a grand.

IF (when ) Ff comes out they need to reintroduce a AF 135 at F2 or less (this is going for more than the used modern Nikon and canon do used)
07-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member
jhaji's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 425
Original Poster
The average buying price of the reviewers is over $900 here. Mostly great reviews.

I'm pretty sure the Chinon 135/1.8 that I saw on ebay was a M42 and I was a little surprised at that time that it didn't go higher because of the Canon crowd. It makes sense now that you mention that Canon has a 135/2 in their line up.

SMC Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
07-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,211
I didn't even know Chinon made a 1.8 there are plenty of 2.8 ones of course.

07-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member
RXrenesis8's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orlando, FL (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 523
Sold for ~$1500
07-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,738
QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
Sold for ~$1500
It is a nice piece of glass.
Did anyone form PF bought it?
07-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,211
QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
Sold for ~$1500
that's nuts, a new AF model would likely sell for that or less (the nikon and canon f2.0 models are about $1200)
07-17-2012, 01:14 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,352
It's reached the point in Pentax land that the absence of new good glass is pushing the prices of old glass to new prices. Is anyone in Pentax land paying attention to this stuff? How can they not be looking at the prices these lenses are bringing and not think they could make money selling them new. IN many of these cases, they are leaving money on the table, the guy who bid $1400 was willing to pay that much for the lens, and still doesn't have one. Sometimes, I just don't understand what they are thinking.

Just basic economics, if one guy will pay 1500 there are probably 20 that would pay $1200 and 100 that would pay $900. Just making up numbers here, but you get the idea, when will Pentax?

07-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,191
QuoteOriginally posted by jjdgti Quote
It is a nice piece of glass.
Did anyone form PF bought it?
It is an incredible piece of glass and yes, I bought it on behalf of an Aussie member.
07-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,898
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's reached the point in Pentax land that the absence of new good glass is pushing the prices of old glass to new prices. Is anyone in Pentax land paying attention to this stuff? How can they not be looking at the prices these lenses are bringing and not think they could make money selling them new. IN many of these cases, they are leaving money on the table, the guy who bid $1400 was willing to pay that much for the lens, and still doesn't have one. Sometimes, I just don't understand what they are thinking.

Just basic economics, if one guy will pay 1500 there are probably 20 that would pay $1200 and 100 that would pay $900. Just making up numbers here, but you get the idea, when will Pentax?
Yeah definitely agree, if he's willing to spend that much money on that non-AF lens then he would most definitely have the cash for a Nikon equivilant with AF... Some people just love Pentax too much to let go. Wonder when Pentax will re-make some of their old lenses into AF versions, so much money can be made with so little R&D as the optics are already existing.
07-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,191
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Yeah definitely agree, if he's willing to spend that much money on that non-AF lens then he would most definitely have the cash for a Nikon equivilant with AF... Some people just love Pentax too much to let go. Wonder when Pentax will re-make some of their old lenses into AF versions, so much money can be made with so little R&D as the optics are already existing.
I guess AF is more important to some people than others. I'm in the "others" camp. The most important thing to me is IQ and the A*135/1.8 has it--big time. I do agree that it's perplexing and frustrating that Pentax (excuse me--I mean "Ricoh") doesn't bring out AF versions of these legendary legacy lenses.
07-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millstone,NJ
Posts: 6,491
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
that's nuts, a new AF model would likely sell for that or less (the nikon and canon f2.0 models are about $1200)
Amazon has the Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM Lens for $1,014 and it was $959 on March 8 2012.
07-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
that's nuts, a new AF model would likely sell for that or less (the nikon and canon f2.0 models are about $1200)
The price doesn't really indicate its actual value due to how rare the lens is. You can buy a Canon/Nikon f2.0 version pretty much everywhere anytime you want, but you won't see this gem show up that often ...
07-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,211
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
The price doesn't really indicate its actual value due to how rare the lens is. You can buy a Canon/Nikon f2.0 version pretty much everywhere anytime you want, but you won't see this gem show up that often ...
I understand rarity and desirable items. But when you see this pricing and the way it bid up it's blatantly obvious Pentax is leaving money on the table. If there was a DA* variant of this same lens design on the market, AF weather sealed even at F2.0, the value on this lens would drop. Sure some of the people bidding are collectors and completists, but others are people just looking for the FL with fast F stop, who have the money to do so. The same thing happens every time you see a nice 85 come up, a 24...... there are gaps that need adressing, and the resale value on lenses 10-30 years old indicates the areas where there is a big gap.
07-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member
jhaji's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 425
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I didn't even know Chinon made a 1.8 there are plenty of 2.8 ones of course.
Neither did I and I wasn't very convinced even after seeing the pictures. But there is mention of it in their instruction manual for the Memotron -

Chinon CEII Memotron camera manual, instruction

Last edited by jhaji; 07-18-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
ebay, pentax deals, pentax-a*
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it not time we take a serious look at ending the two party system? Chwisch87 General Talk 62 11-10-2010 10:06 PM
Strange ending to an Interesting season. Peter Zack Photographic Industry and Professionals 6 10-21-2010 10:36 AM
Inception Ending (Spoiler if you have not seen it) KxBlaze General Talk 8 07-29-2010 06:08 PM
DA*50-135 at Masuyastore on ebay Wethphotography Pentax News and Rumors 4 07-29-2007 07:23 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:15 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top