Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Q is $399 with leather case at Adorama with free shipping
Posted By: Docrwm, 07-23-2012, 03:28 AM

Pentax Q Compact Digital Camera with Standard F1.9 Lens - Black 15073

Pentax Q Compact Digital Camera with Standard F1.9 Lens - Black 15073

Last edited by Docrwm; 07-23-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Views: 2,898
07-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Sorry, just noticed a small note with the listing:

Buy together and save

Save $59.95 on Pentax Q Vintage Leather Case with purchase.
07-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Okay, now it has me interested.... but still, what advantage does the Q have over say the Olympus XZ-1? Same size sensor, the Olympus has a great FAST lens with a wonderful zoom range... I basically want to know what makes the Q so much better that I should forgo a fast zoom for a fast prime?

Charles.
07-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Okay, now it has me interested.... but still, what advantage does the Q have over say the Olympus XZ-1? Same size sensor, the Olympus has a great FAST lens with a wonderful zoom range... I basically want to know what makes the Q so much better that I should forgo a fast zoom for a fast prime?

Charles.
On paper - I would say nothing. However, the Q is an ILC, while the Olympus is not. The Q allows for great fun with K-mount and C-mount lenses with an adapter - so if you have K-mount lenses, it's a plus.

According to Snapsort - supposedly the Q has much higher image quality than the Olympus. Not sure how to verify that. It also says the Q has higher dynamic range, higher color depth, and lower noise.

Also - I played with the Q in store, and it is VERY nice to hold and use. If not for that experience, I may not have wanted a Q over something like the S100 or the XZ-1, but now I really do want the Q.

07-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Can't definitively say what makes it better but I did play with Jezza323's when we met for a pint and the Q is pretty darn impressive, The big advantage of course is the ILC functionality. The shots from the Fisheye seem very good too, the prime is quite nice, and the ability to apdapt just bout anything to it is tempting (there are some pretty good really fast c mount lenses out there - as fast as 0.75 from what i have seen.
Build quality is also excellent.
doesn't seem to suffer the same shutter lag that P/S do as well
Doubt i'd be really into adapting K mount/m42 myself since anything is a telephoto on it
07-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What is ILC? Unless that K-mount adapter includes autofocus, it's useless to me. I don't do manual focus - especially manual focus without a viewfinder.

Charles.
07-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

What is ILC? Unless that K-mount adapter includes autofocus, it's useless to me. I don't do manual focus - especially manual focus without a viewfinder.
so i guess the Q is not for you.

that said, the Q is @ 370€ on Amazon and my paycheck is on the way ... maybe the K30 won't be my next body

07-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Charles.
then the Q is not your camera at least until the lenses on the roadmap come out giving you a broader choice, Certainly none of the adapters will allow AF

For many though it is one of the draws .
07-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
$449 at Amazon today in the US. Adorama is a far better deal right now.
07-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
$449 at Amazon today in the US. Adorama is a far better deal right now.
hasn't really hit us yet the cheap guy is 479, the rest are 549
If it's a permanent price move i imagine we will also see a drop (though probably to 419 or so)
07-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Charles.
ILC is Interchangeable Lens Camera.

The k-mount adapter is going to be manual focus. However, it still is an option for people to use - for example, some users use it with a long lens for birding. Just a benefit of ILCs.

Snapsort is saying that the Q's sensor is better than the XZ-1s. I don't really know of other comparison sites that can compare the two sensors, so I'm going by Snapsort for now.

Edit - I think Snapsort uses DXO, which has been pretty good for sensor ratings. The Q's sensor scored 47 while the XZ-1 scored 34.
07-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The Q's sensor scored 47 while the XZ-1 scored 34.
that is a huge difference in scores,
I can believe it though from the shot's i've seen from the Q
the Low score on DXO mostly comes from the iso section, it's not far off the K7 on colour depth and DR surprisingly (I know the KR wasn't prefect but in good light it is excellent)
07-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Those are surprising numbers. Another plus in the Q column. It's getting pretty attractive, but I need to wait for Photokina.......
07-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't think it's a coincidence that this price drop for the Q comes at the same time of Canon announcing their new EOS-M mirrorless camera with APS-C sized sensor.

I wish there could be a Pentax with the sensor size and AF of the Canon M, the external controls of the Q, and an attachable or integrated EVF. Imagine putting the little Limited lenses on a camera like that. Make the fast flash sync (maybe just up to 1/1000) work with the Q's leaf shutter lenses when syncing with external flashes too. I don't care if the camera would be a fair amount larger than the Q as long as it's significantly smaller than the K-01. That would be one hell of a compact camera system! I would pull my credit card out for a camera like that. Well, sigh, that's enough dreaming...
07-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Back up to $449 at Adorama. He who hesitates is lost!