Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Instant Rebates from PENTAX USA on Bodies & Lenses
Posted By: Docrwm, 08-30-2012, 10:13 AM

Special Offers & Rebates - PENTAX Imaging USA
PENTAX Lens Instant Rebate

Save instantly on these combinations:
smc PENTAX DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED, AL - $75 (with DSLR purchase - $150)
smc PENTAX DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED, IF - $75 (with DSLR purchase - $150)
smc PENTAX DA* 55mm F1.4 - $75 (with DSLR purchase - $150)
smc PENTAX DA* 60-250mm F4 IF, SDM - $100 (with DSLR purchase - $200)
smc PENTAX DA* 300mm F4 ED, IF, SDM - $75 (with DSLR purchase - $150)
smc PENTAX DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED, WR - $50 (with DSLR purchase - $100)
August 30th, 2012 through December 31st, 2012
Download PDF

K-30 Instant Rebate

Save $50 Instantly on the K-30 from September 1st - October 31st.
August 30th, 2012 through October 31st, 2012
Download PDF

K-01 Instant Rebate

Save instantly on the K-01 September 1st -30th.
- K-01 Body Kit - $200 savings
- K-01 with DA 40mm XS - $300 savings
- K-01 with DA L 18-55 + 50-200 - $250 savings

August 30th, 2012 through September 30th, 2012
Download PDF
Views: 7,275
09-02-2012, 04:07 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Pentax must have some awesome camera coming at PK if they think people will be prepared to pay 2x the usual going rate. Now is definitely the time to sell all my Pentax gear to get that 2nd D800E and 300/2.8 VR telephoto. ;-)

I suspect a 'leak' will occur tomorrow. (Monday)

09-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #47

I had the DA* 60-250 in my online shopping cart on Thursday at B&H, didn't pull the trigger because I wanted to shop used and aftermarket before committing $1250. I really would have bought it at that price. If this is the way Pentax really plays, maybe I should have gone Nikon instead, maybe I should get out and switch before I invest any more money in Pentax gear. (About $3200 so far)
09-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #48
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I agree with the BS part, but who is to blame? Is it Pentax USA? Or B&H and Adorama?
While I don't know exactly what terms Pentax USA gives retailers, but it is more than likely that they are dictating the prices, rather than retailers themselves. I have contacted B&H to see if Pentax can be motivated to make a statement, but I doubt that will get us anywhere.

As far as Pentax Japan goes, they are entirely out of the equation. They only thing they do is send gear and information to the distributor here.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #49

This is such a sham!

As a brand new Pentaxian, this is gut-wrenching news. I knew I was already taking a risk with the Pentax name because of lack of support in today's market and the pricing instability earlier this year, but I really liked the gear on offer. Unfortunately, I'm only a month in and already the decision to go Pentax has blown up in my face!

I was looking at the 50-135 for $899 on Friday, but held off for the "rebate". Next day = $1600 for the 50-135, are you kidding? Should have called it an instant re"bait", as in Re-Bait 'n Switch!

Yet, there's no other choice, because the aftermarket (namely Sigma in the case of the 50-135/50-150 arena) doesn't support Pentax anywhere near the same as the Big "2". Hell, even Sony is getting more aftermarket support these days...what a shame!

Tough decision time...stay with Pentax or jump ship while my limited amount of Pentax gear is still worth something and invest in Canon/Nikon?

09-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #50

Photos: Albums
Ohhhhhh my, this is awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can NOT agree with what Pentax is doing here!

But I DO agree with everyone in the forums, especially Masta'C
, about how Pentax is full of crap!!!

THIS IS DEFINITELY A REBAIT.

What is anyone to think of Pentax when they produce mediocre lenses, with exception of the DA* 50-135/60-250 and 2 to 3 primes, all priced high to begin with, and now WAY OVER PRICED after announcing they will have a sale on them??? I mean really, price the 50-135 900 bucks for quite some time now, announce a rebate, jack the price to 1600 dollars and give a WHOPPER of a 75 dollar rebate making the total price 1525 dollars???

PENTAX, YOU ARE INSULTING US IN ONE OF TWO WAYS:
1-YOU THINK WE ARE DUMB AND CANNOT DO MATH
2- YOU THINK WE WILL ADMIRE USING A BRAND THAT LIES AND PULLS OFF SHAMS, UNDERMINING OUR BETTER JUDGEMENT

Then again, maybe we were to be insulted on both counts.

Frankly, PENTAX, you just made yourselves look like a bunch of monkeys!!! This is ugly!!! And it makes me feel stupid for using Pentax Products!!!

Given the QC issues I have seen/read concerning SDM, and now this ReBAIT sham, little confidence can be placed in Pentax Corp's view of dealing with the public and marketing products in a respectable manor.

Last edited by JF Jayhawk; 09-04-2012 at 06:11 AM.
09-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I have contacted B&H to see if Pentax can be motivated to make a statement, but I doubt that will get us anywhere.
Thanks for trying.

Definitely curious as to why Amazon seems to get away with ignoring the stupid Pentax USA prices.

As far as Pentax Japan goes, they are entirely out of the equation.
Good to know.
I think it would be good to write "the Pentax USA distributor" rather than "Pentax" next time, in order to avoid confusion.

It makes a big difference to me whether it is Pentax proper being out of their minds or just Pentax USA.
09-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JF Jayhawk Quote
I just bought a new K5 6 months ago, loved it, but it recently quit working.
Apparently you have been extremely unlucky with your K-5 and 16-45 failing.

With respect to the 18-55 and 55-300, they are very good value for money. They are surely not top glass, but very, very good for their price.

With respect to the Pentax USA prices, I'm sure this nonsense will stop eventually. And don't blame Pentax, the brand, for the stupidity of one of their distributors. You could try to get your gear from Canada instead.

I can sympathise with your frustration but in terms of the gear, I think Pentax is a more interesting choice than Canikon, unless you have specific needs and a bag full of cash.
09-03-2012, 05:43 AM   #53
Veteran Member

This might be well know, but I just read the fine print when a vendor does not show a price on their web page - this is where you need to add the item to your cart to see the actual selling price.

Here is the copy/paste from Samy's Camera:

Because our price on this item is lower than the manufacturer's suggested retail price, the manufacturer does not allow us to show you our price until you place the item in your shopping cart. Samys has the legal right to set their own prices independently. Adding the item to your cart allows Samys to show you our price.

Copy/paste from B&H:

This Item has a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) restriction set by the Manufacturer / Distributor that limits how we can display our selling price. The price above is our actual selling price.

So from reading these disclaimers, it looks to me like the vendor does have a choice on how to price their Pentax gear.

09-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I sincerely doubt it but I hope some of the Pentax marketing geniuses read these threads. I was ready to trip the shutter and buy a new K-30 and perhaps one more lens.

After this that isn't going to happen anytime soon. It may never happen. For sure it won't happen until they realize they need to stop pissing off their loyal base. Inflate prices and have a sale might work for cheap shoes and the such but is not a sound marketing practice for durable goods.

I think court rulings have said that manufacturers may demand " a no lower lower advertised price" but I am pretty sure it is not legal in this country to set an absolute no lower selling price. Whether it is or not I choose not to spend my money and support a company who tries to control prices.

BTW Pentax this is not sour grapes on my part. If I chose to do so I could pay cash for at least one or two units of everything you market in this country. Isn't going to happen.
09-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
While I don't know exactly what terms Pentax USA gives retailers, but it is more than likely that they are dictating the prices, rather than retailers themselves. I have contacted B&H to see if Pentax can be motivated to make a statement, but I doubt that will get us anywhere.

As far as Pentax Japan goes, they are entirely out of the equation. They only thing they do is send gear and information to the distributor here.
Adam,

I'm wondering why you say that "Pentax Japan....are entirely out of the equation."? I was wondering about Pentax USA and exactly who they are, legally. I went to their website and found this under "About Us"

"We're proud to be a subsidiary of PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD., one of the world's leading suppliers of technically advanced products including digital cameras, sport optics and security products for consumers and businesses."

On the Ricoh website I found this:

"Tokyo, October 1, 2011–Ricoh Company, Ltd. (President & CEO: Shiro Kondo; hereinafter referred to as "Ricoh") announces the establishment of PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. as its wholly owned subsidiary on October 1, 2011."

So, it would seem from these sources that Pentax USA is a subsidiary of Pentax-Ricoh Imaging Co, Ltd.. which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ricoh Co Ltd of Japan.

If that is the case how is Pentax Japan out of it entirely or should we be looking to Ricoh for some oversight of Pentax USA?
09-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Hmmm - a bit off topic since this lens doesn't have a rebate apply.....

At B&H, the DA 21 Ltd has been steady at $549.95 for the few weeks I have been watching it - today it shows at $646.95

The DA 15 Ltd was $539.95 - up to $646.95 today

Adorama still holding at their earlier prices at $539.00 and $539.95 respectively.

More yo-yo prices with lenses that are not affected by the rebate scam.
09-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Hmmm - a bit off topic since this lens doesn't have a rebate apply.....

At B&H, the DA 21 Ltd has been steady at $549.95 for the few weeks I have been watching it - today it shows at $646.95

The DA 15 Ltd was $539.95 - up to $646.95 today

Adorama still holding at their earlier prices at $539.00 and $539.95 respectively.

More yo-yo prices with lenses that are not affected by the rebate scam.
Makes me even happier that I bought the 15 ltd for $489 last week. The 15 & 21 (which I also looked at) are each also back to Maximum Assured Pricing levels at most retailers.

Last edited by Docrwm; 09-03-2012 at 03:35 PM.
09-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Whether it is or not I choose not to spend my money and support a company who tries to control prices.
That excludes Nikon. They heavily control retail prices and have even gone further by extremely limiting the supply of spare parts thus ensuring that they earn with each repair. A LensRental article complained about Nikon repairs having become more expensive because of that.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Add to that that Amazon has not been following "orders" at all in the past and are still selling Pentax gear, I'm not sure to what extent all retailers are trying everything to keep prices low.
09-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #59
Pentaxian

It's good to see that US prices are now at more of a parity with Europe. We're fed up with subsidising your low prices.
09-04-2012, 03:50 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Orloff Quote
It's good to see that US prices are now at more of a parity with Europe. We're fed up with subsidising your low prices.
That's not how free economies work. You weren't subsidizing anything. If Adorama couldn't make a profit on the old prices they wouldn't have kept selling for the old prices. Plus Pentax USA admitted that they did NOT raise the wholesale prices on the lenses. And the increases in prices have gutted sales. Finally, we do not have VAT. This is simply someone at Pentax being too stupid to understand that you can't dictate price on an underperforming consumer product in an era of internet price checking and communication.