Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ritz / Wolf Camera in Liquidation
Posted By: E-man, 09-12-2012, 12:33 PM

I just read that Ritz / Wolf Camera is now in liquidation and the company will shut down in the next couple of months. All of their retail locations have begun marking merchandise down to move it out. Prices are cut 10-30% now. Could be some good deals to be had.
Views: 8,356
09-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I just read that Ritz / Wolf Camera is now in liquidation and the company will shut down in the next couple of months. All of their retail locations have begun marking merchandise down to move it out. Prices are cut 10-30% now. Could be some good deals to be had.
Is it 2008 again? Wish there were still some around here, I got some real steals when they were closing up shop.
09-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

They closed some locations here in Denver, but then after bankruptcy opened some new ones again. There is one nearby that has been there less than a year. Now it is going away again? Not that I've ever been in there -- the old one was terrible...
09-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The one by me closed last month, some great deals if you were a canikon or you wanted some basic bags and stuff I bought some lens hoods camera straps filters and such but no big scores. I heard that they were keeping some locations open.

09-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My understanding is they're going under for good this time. They closed one of the locations where I live a few years ago and now the other one's on the way out. Here's a link to the article: Ritz Camera Liquidation Approved After Second Bankruptcy - Bloomberg
09-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While it's sad to see brick and mortar camera stores shutting down, I can't say I'm too broken up about seeing Ritz go.
09-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We've got a nearby Wolf Camera (suburban Dallas area) that's been hanging on for the past couple years. I never saw any Pentax gear in there, but I'm gonna check to see if there are any goodies hidden in the back

09-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
We've got a nearby Wolf Camera (suburban Dallas area) that's been hanging on for the past couple years. I never saw any Pentax gear in there, but I'm gonna check to see if there are any goodies hidden in the back
You won't find any. Before they declared bankruptcy the first time, Pentax refused to let them sell cameras "on consignment" as it were, instead they had to purchase their cameras up front. As a result, Ritz/Wolf stopped carrying the brand. Canon and Nikon let them sell on consignment, and when Ritz declared bankruptcy, they walked away with millions of dollars in free merchandise from those two companies.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 09-12-2012 at 03:57 PM.
09-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #9

Last time I went into a Ritz store I was looking for a standard cheap threaded cable release. When I asked the clerk if they had any he had no idea what I was talking about. Once I explained what it was he said "wow, I don't think I've seen an old camera that would use one of those in a long time, we wouldn't have anything like that." I facepalmed myself and walked out. I was able to get one at the Shutterbug store in the freaking mall across the street no problem.
09-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The last time I was there was like a month ago... so I don't know about my location, I will have to check it out this weekend.
However; mine only carries Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus and some PS cameras and I don't think I really need any more bags/tripods/ect. But if they get to the point where they're marking things 50%+ off, it might be worth buying something.
09-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree with this sentiment on the surface. Ritz was never my favorite camera store. What's truly unfortunate about its demise is that it leaves a lot of communities without anywhere but Walmart and Best Buy for their camera needs since Ritz's expansion over the past 20 years or so has centered around absorbing established, local independent camera stores. I can think of several fine camera stores that I used to frequent in various communities where I've lived that got 'Ritzed' over the years. But I guess that's the way the (Ritz) cracker crumbles...

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
While it's sad to see brick and mortar camera stores shutting down, I can't say I'm too broken up about seeing Ritz go.
09-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had the local Wolf Camera tell me I was stupid for buying Pentax since "You can't get anything for them here." They closed a couple months ago.
09-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Was this one of the hoped for B&M stores that MAP was supposed to save?
09-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Was this one of the hoped for B&M stores that MAP was supposed to save?
Nope. All the rest, but not Ritz as they don't carry Pentax.
09-12-2012, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Nope. All the rest, but not Ritz as they don't carry Pentax.
But that is the stated purpose of MAP - to get Pentax into all those B&M camera stores that don't carry Pentax already.