Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread

F 250-600 on eBay, BIN USD3500
Posted By: baro-nite, 09-30-2012, 04:40 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Pentax SMC F* 250-600mm F5.6 ED(IF) lens-model 27900,metal case,auto focus RARE | eBay

Shouldn't last long at that price.

Only two photos of the lens itself, one of which is the same as the photo in the lens review here.
Views: 3,339
09-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oeriies Quote
I bought it. I have a very bad case of LBA and couldn't for the life of me pass on this lens at the listed price even though I own the Sigma 500 4.5, which I love. I got very quick feedback from the seller on shipping arrangements, which was reassuring. I'll post something in a week or so when it arrives and find out if I'm a pig in slop or a fool.

Russ
Congrats Russ! Thanks for coming forward and letting us know one of our members snagged this awesome lens. Really hoping the rest of the transaction goes smoothly, and look forward to your thoughts once it is in your hands.

09-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought it.
Congratulations Russ. What a nice find. I'm also glad we found out who bought the lens.

If you don't like the lens can I be first in line?
09-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #18

I bought it.
Definite congrats!
10-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I bought it. I have a very bad case of LBA and couldn't for the life of me pass on this lens at the listed price even though I own the Sigma 500 4.5, which I love. I got very quick feedback from the seller on shipping arrangements, which was reassuring. I'll post something in a week or so when it arrives and find out if I'm a pig in slop or a fool.

Russ
Very nice!
Create a "F 250-600 club", and you'll post alone, leaving us completely jealous!
Congrats

10-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Russ! I was wondering about the photo(s) too, and Adam has weighed in. Fingers crossed that you're a happy man soon enough! I do mean that. Hopefully you don't have to do a gimbal head and tripod upgrade too.

So... welcome to the club! Think you'll enjoy it - I like mine... really.
10-08-2012, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #21
Inactive Account

Russ
Thanks to everyone for the public comments and PMs on this lens. I've been on a business trip for the last week. Came home last night to find the lens waiting for me. It is a beauty! The seller was the original owner, paying $6,100 in 1990 from the Camera Mart (original bill of sale was enclosed). She and her husband bought it to shoot the 1991 solar eclipse and used it only a few times since. Everything is in as-new condition except for the foam-backed leather hood, which has areas of foam exposed on the edges. I'm going to try Plasti-Dip as a fix -- if anyone has a better idea let me know.

It is a dreary overcast day on Long Island and I have to get ready another business trip tomorrow, but I had to drive down to the duck pond to give it a quick spin. I fired off about 50 shots. The birds and light weren't doing me any favors but I can tell this is going to be a very appealing piece of equipment. The first photo below is straight out of the camera with Camera Raw defaults. The second is also unedited, except for a 40% crop. I was shooting with a K-5 off a carbon fiber tripod and a Chinese knockoff of a Wimberly head with shake reduction turned on. Ordinarily these shots wouldn't be keepers, but people asked me to post a couple of pictures and I think these give a hint of what the lens is capable of. In any case, it is the best I could do today.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/oeriies/ducks%20and%20birds/robinwith250-600.jpg ISO 1000, 1/1000, f/5.6 at 520mm (distance about 20 feet)
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/oeriies/ducks%20and%20birds/americanwidgeon250-600.jpg ISO 320, 1/500, f/7.1 at 600mm, 40% crop (distance about 50 feet)

A couple of quick observations:

The zoom is incredibly useful. If I were shooting with my Sigma 500mm the robins would have been out of the question.

At about 15 lbs. with tripod and camera attached, this is a heavy kit. I'm a take-a-walk see-what-turns-up shooter, so this lens is going to force me to plan ahead and pick a spot (and that spot isn't going to be an hour away on foot). This will probably be good for my photography but it is going to make my dog very sad.

I'm not sure the Pentax at 500mm is sharper than the Sigma. It will be a couple of weeks before I can test that. I'll report back.

Thanks again for the interest and advice on this lens. I'm very happy with the purchase.

Russ

Last edited by oeriies; 10-08-2012 at 12:40 PM.
10-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting the follow up! I am very happy to find you received the lens in good condition - and as a bonus your lens is from the original owner who obviously took care of it.

Your first couple pics are great - shows great promise especially being on a fairly light tripod. You obviously have the right technique to shoot this lens.

You got yourself a great deal on a fantastic lens - enjoy it!

11-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #23
Inactive Account

I'm the one who purchased this lens off eBay a few weeks ago. I've just listed it for sale here in the forums. It is a gorgeous thing and I've lost sleep over the decision to sell it, but I simply can't handle the weight and can't justify holding on to it if I'm only going to be able to use it off the deck of my house

Russ
11-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm the one who purchased this lens off eBay a few weeks ago. I've just listed it for sale here in the forums. It is a gorgeous thing and I've lost sleep over the decision to sell it, but I simply can't handle the weight and can't justify holding on to it if I'm only going to be able to use it off the deck of my house

Russ
Not a tripod person?
11-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Not a tripod person?
Take a look at his listing for the answer to your question.
11-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Take a look at his listing for the answer to your question.
Sorry, had other things on my mind like a sick dog.
11-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Sorry, had other things on my mind like a sick dog.
No need to apologize. Sorry if I appeared abrupt, I was just pointing you to more information, but after reading my post I can see how it might seem harsh. (I get in trouble at work when co-workers complain about my mean e-mails because I write so concise and direct. )

Also, sorry about your dog. That's no fun.