Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread

Some serious photographer's kit for sale...
Posted By: mgvh, 10-15-2012, 10:35 AM

(If this post is inappropriate, I trust the moderators will delete it. The link is to a Goodwill sale, so I have no connection to the sale, and it would be for a good cause. Sale ends 10/17/2012)

Some serious photographer's Pentax kit is for sale at Goodwill. In addition to the ME Super, there is a lot of other gear, but check the lenses:
  • SMC Pentax K 50mm f1.2
  • SMC Pentax M 85mm f2
  • SMC Pentax-M Zoom 80-200mm f4.5
Price is already too rich for me, but some of you would probably be interested!
Views: 3,127
10-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The majority of lenses are listed as whatever filter is screwed into it.
Yes, I hate that.
Then you have to go through all the pictures, zoom in, and see if you can find out what lens it is.
But sometimes it is to your advantage because if someone searches up that specific lens, the listing won't show up.

10-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
It generally is Goodwill's policy to sell things as is, and Goodwill Online is actually a whole network of stores. Some are better than others about testing things. There are some stores who charge crazy shipping for almost anything who will try to sell anything they get in. My local Goodwill is one of them.

At that store I once saw a camera lens combo that that was obviously dunked in suds, still had soap scum all over it with an $89 ticket on it. Right now there's a bag with 2 old Kodak rangefinders, nothing special or particularly collectible, and a mini tripod that's been sitting there for a month marked at $120. I seriously doubt looking at them that either works. But I've also walked into that store and found $65 lenses for $5 in beautiful condition. Two of the Taks and all of the Ricoh's in my bag are there because of that store. I never buy from them without a walk outside and/or a bright light check though, and they know that at this point. I tend to bring batteries for most of the old cameras that I collect with me actually so that I can check things out.
Don't worry, it's not just your Goodwill, mine is pretty crazy with over-pricing (and sometimes, but pretty rarely, underpricing ).
Generally, if they get something branded "Canon", "Nikon", or "Vivitar", they think it is a treasure worth who-knows-how-much and proceed to mark Canon AE-1 cameras with 50mm f/1.8 FD lens for $50-60.
However, if it is a lesser-known brand, such as Panagor, Yashica, Ricoh, Exa, etc, they think is is pretty worthless and price it pretty low. I've gotten some really nice deals like an M42 Yashinon DX 50 1.4 for $5, an M42 Panagor 28 2.5 for $2, a Pentax ME Super with M 50 1.4 for $20, and an Exa with Cazl Zeiss Jena 50 3.5 for $7.

They also seem to be under the impression that camera bodies are worth more than lenses (which in most cases isn't true considering all the old and broken K1000's and Canon AE-1's they get- but it works to my advantage, so I'm not complaining ).

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
It's not a Pentax K-x DSLR, but a Pentax KX film SLR.
The KX uses a pair of 1.5V 44, 76 or 357 button cells.

Chris
Chris, I'm not sure if you were referring to my post, but if you were, the camera that I saw was a K-x DSLR.
I think it was about two years ago that I was looking for a DSLR and was very surprised to have come across it on shopgoodwill's website- that is the reason why I remember that auction.
10-15-2012, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that Rico's rules apply here - co$t of a hamburger (even a super deluxe version) and no more.

10-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually they get DSLR's all the time though I rarely see anything Pentax. Mostly it's Canon ones, some Nikons, through far more often it's Canon's particularly the early 6 MP ones. I tend to stay away from things like that. I figure being relatively new tech if they ended up at Goodwill likely they're not in the greatest shape. People do dump film cameras when they go to digital, so condition can be good a lot of the time, but they rarely just donate good quality DSLR's though you do get some from estate sales. People do also buy new items to donate once in a while. I've seen that brand new current dolls or cameras pristine in box up for auction on there. People will bid like fools on those. Pay more than a new one costs sometimes. Right now I'm wishing I had more money than I do. Someone must have left a whole Tonner doll collection to them. I've been eying those auctions all week, but the doll people on there bid too high for me usually. I shouldn't even be looking right now but there is this one lens I've got my eye on, kind of. Probably won't spring for it though. Too much competition of late....

Last edited by magkelly; 10-15-2012 at 06:58 PM.
10-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm juts wondering from where the flood of Pentax WG-1's has been coming. There have been so many on shopgoodwill, it has kind of scared me off that camera all together.

I've had some great buys from that site, although less recently - not sure if I haven't been watching as carefully, or if there is just more bidding action. I bid like things have a 50% chance of being trash, and I've made out okay. The actual rate is less, but certainly not zero.
10-15-2012, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I'm juts wondering from where the flood of Pentax WG-1's has been coming. There have been so many on shopgoodwill, it has kind of scared me off that camera all together.

I've had some great buys from that site, although less recently - not sure if I haven't been watching as carefully, or if there is just more bidding action. I bid like things have a 50% chance of being trash, and I've made out okay. The actual rate is less, but certainly not zero.
Goodwill gets things from Target (at least in my area). Usually they are display models or once they go on clearance at Target (I think it goes 15%, 30%, 50% and 70% off). Usually when electronics hit 30-50% off at Target and still don't sell, they donate them to Goodwill so they can knock off the full-value price from their taxes. They don't just do this for electronics, but clothes, accessories, holiday items, household items, furniture- just about everything (except food).

I can understand the WG-1s because the WG-2 was introduced recently and the WG-1s at my Targets have been replaced with the WG-2s the past few weeks.
10-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Goodwill gets things from Target (at least in my area). Usually they are display models or once they go on clearance at Target (I think it goes 15%, 30%, 50% and 70% off). Usually when electronics hit 30-50% off at Target and still don't sell, they donate them to Goodwill so they can knock off the full-value price from their taxes. They don't just do this for electronics, but clothes, accessories, holiday items, household items, furniture- just about everything (except food).

I can understand the WG-1s because the WG-2 was introduced recently and the WG-1s at my Targets have been replaced with the WG-2s the past few weeks.
Thanks Julie! That makes a lot of sense.

10-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Thanks Julie! That makes a lot of sense.
No problem.
If you walk into a GW store, you are likely to spot quite a bit of new stuff from Target, especially when it is the end of a season.
10-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
No problem.
If you walk into a GW store, you are likely to spot quite a bit of new stuff from Target, especially when it is the end of a season.
Was GW part of Ned's plan?