Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sigma Dp1x for 249
Posted By: hongzhibin1987, 11-07-2012, 07:54 AM

Dude, best deal came.
Sigma DP1x--with Fevon 3 sensor. And as a previous sigma dp1 user, I have to say-----disregard the poor control and bad interface, the sensor itself worth more than this price.
Just bought one.
here is the link:
Amazon.com: Sigma DP1x 14MP FOVEON CMOS Sensor Digital Camera and 2.5 Inch LCD: Camera & Photo
Hope sigma deal does not violent the rules.
Best,
B
Views: 1,949
11-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's the difference between a DP1x and the others? (DP1 original, DP2, etc.)

I've also been curious about the Foveon...
11-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote

All three use the 20.7x13.8mm Foveon X3 14MP (4.6 effective MP) sensor.

DP2 has a 24mm (40mm FF equiv) F2.8 lens while DP1 has a 16mm (28mm FF equiv) F4 lens. The DP2 is supposed to have better AF than the DP1.The DP1x comes after the DP2 and has improved AF algorithms, but the 16mm F4 lens.
11-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster

here is the sigma website for dp1x;
SIGMA DP1x : Special Contents

what I wanted to say is:
from sensor size,
FF>APSC>FEVON X3>4/3.
so from some level this little machine is a monster. And FEVON X3 is the best sensor I have ever seen so far (among nikon/canon (including 5D)/PENTAX...etc).
The color, details and resolution provided by FEVON is definitely monster level.
From my experience, Pentax K5+DA15 can compare with it. others? Idk.
The cons of it is the poor interface and bad feeling when you try to do some controlling. and ISO----forget about this. No good IQ over ISO 400 or 800 i think.
So this one:
If you want to ZOOM, forget about it;
If you want to AF, wait it. The AF really sucks, but I hope they improve it in the DP1x,
If you want to continuous shooting, forget about it. I will take forever.
If you want to get the best IQ among all the small compact camera-------------only sigma dp1/dp2.

11-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the explanations, folks! The biggest drawback for me is the apparent lack of support for the Sigma Foveon raw files in any third party application, which includes Adobe Camera Raw. I emailed Dave Coffin (creator of dcraw, the utility that almost every software that reads multiple camera raw uses) and he said the Foveon X3 format was so rarely encountered and so "confusingly proprietary" that it wasn't worth the effort (for app makers using his utility) to get really good colors out of it. His utility can read it, but the output is almost grey, which means it's up to the third party application to further decode the colorspace and modify the weak input (without introducing noise), which is why AFAIK no one other than Sigma makes conversion software for Foveon chips... sigh.

Last edited by panoguy; 11-10-2012 at 09:25 AM.
11-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the explanations, folks! The biggest drawback for me is the apparent lack of support for the Sigma Foveon raw files in any third party application, which includes Adobe Camera Raw. I emailed Dave Coffin (creator of dcraw, the utility that almost every software that reads multiple camera raw uses) and he said the Foveon X3 format was so rarely encountered and so "confusingly proprietary" that it wasn't worth the effort (for app makers using his utility) to get really good colors out of it. His utility can read it, but the output is almost grey, which means it's up to the third party application to further decode the colorspace and modify the weak input (without introducing noise), which is why AFAIK no one other than Sigma makes conversion software for Foveon chips... sigh.
Hi Panoguy,
Thanks for this information.
the Sigma Photo Pro, a 50 MB-ish software----Can do everything with the X3F. I understand ppl want to solve everything in one application, however that one can still work.
Best,