Posted By: halfspin, 11-09-2012, 01:42 PM

Includes shipping!

Sigma APO 500mm F4.5 EX DG HSM $4,457.00
Views: 2,129
11-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remember that import products carry no warranty. You have to buy them from the USA distributor in order to be covered- sometimes it's worth it to spend the extra penny!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I don't think this would be such a deal because of the very reason that it is indeed "imported" so that they can offer it at a lower price.
In Canada, such a lens carries a 10 year warranty !
They affer a "free" 5 year warranty !

JP
11-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just ordered one from them, so I will see how it works out.I paid with my CC and it doubles the warranty to 10 years..

11-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
I just ordered one from them, so I will see how it works out.I paid with my CC and it doubles the warranty to 10 years..
Congrats, Dane !

Good idea to purchase with the CC..
Is this 10 year warranty going to be with the seller?

JP
11-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you buy Nikon import products, the prices are lower, but you don't get any sort of warranty, in the US or elsewhere. Reputable sellers generally warrant the gear, though, but you never know what they'll fix and what they won't. On this site it says it doesn't cover any sort of wear and tear or accidental damage.

Personally I'd rather pay 400 extra for the US version of the lens, but if nothing goes wrong with your copy, then you've definitely secured yourself a bargain!
11-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you buy Nikon import products, the prices are lower, but you don't get any sort of warranty, in the US or elsewhere.
It depends on where you live.

If I buy from a parallel importer in my country, I get one year worth of warranty (enforced by national law). If I buy from B&H, I get no warranty at all.
11-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm talking about purchases within the US only, so if you buy a Nikon import product in the US and you live in the US, you will neither get a US warranty nor any international warranty.

If you buy import products in a different countries, it's probably a whole different story. I understand that my original post was a big ambiguous.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Personally I'd rather pay 400 extra for the US version of the lens, but if nothing goes wrong with your copy, then you've definitely secured yourself a bargain!
Unfortunately, it is not only $400 extra. Per new California law we are now obliged to pay 9.75% (LA) sale taxes on all Internet purchases.

BTW: could anyone from East Canada validate basatne.com (Mississauga, Ontario) shop?

Last edited by Greyser; 11-09-2012 at 07:11 PM.
11-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Greyser, that's who I bought my lens from. The cheapest I could find this lens from in Canada was 5600.00 + 12% tax,so this seemed like a great deal. I HOPE..
11-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Greyser, that's who I bought my lens from. The cheapest I could find this lens from in Canada was 5600.00 + 12% tax,so this seemed like a great deal. I HOPE..
I saw your earlier post that you pulled the trigger on the Sigma with them. Congratulations! I talked to the guys today over the phone. It looks like they get them from Hong Kong. They also offer insurance through US (NY) based company and say that they exchange defective lens, if defect is claimed within first few weeks or a month. It sounds good enough, but I'm in US and have no local law protection.
Are you going to pick it up locally? Do you know the shop?
Anyway, good luck to you!
SG
11-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Glad I could help. I only wish I could afford one myself! I look forward to seeing some amazing shots you get with it.
12-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Is there any significant US customs

Guys, I'm seriously considering this opportunity. I understand that it is imported item, but they supply 5 years warranty (US NY based insurer) instead of 3 years warranty elsewhere in US. One lens was already purchased from them. And it works fine as I see (congratulations Travis again).

In the past I bought a few $400-600 lenses from Ontario based Prodigital2000 and never was noticeably charged. How much would be all extra charges at US customs for $4500 lens?
12-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Greyser ,there is a bastane in the states and the lens is 4416.00, why would you not buy it from them, taxes??
12-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Greyser ,there is a bastane in the states and the lens is 4416.00, why would you not buy it from them, taxes??
That is exactly what I want to do. I'm only not sure will I be charged any substantial customs and fees for such amount of money goods at crossing of US border?