Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Pentax Q zoom kit 246.21 @ ShopNBC
Posted By: Classico, 11-25-2012, 02:34 PM

White or black I went with white. free SD card also but its class 4...
Pentax Q 12.4MP 3" LCD Screen Digital Camera w/ Zoom Lens Kit & 8GB SD Card ShopNBC.com
Views: 7,286
12-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The kit arrived yesterday late in the day?? Odd, but glad it is here.

I posted this in another thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/207030-there-q-extended-warranty-pentax.html

I will update the results of my inquiry to Pentax on the other thread, but wanted to post the information here for those following this one:

I asked here a month or more ago about a Q extended warranty from Pentax and the silence was deafening.

Well, I got my ShopNBC Q in the mail today (wow, Saturday delivery - even if it did take them 4 days to just put it in the mail to begin with). Guess what was in the box, along with the normal Pentax items like the body, battery, lens, etc.?

There was a "Pentax Q-Series Extended Warranty" card (80255 - UPC Code: 027075209428). The text reads the same as the K camera extended warranty - 2 more years + 1 cleaning and checkup.

This is a real plus for the ShopNBC purchase. The Kingston 8gb card is a piece of garbage and doesn't work in the Q, but the 2 year extended warranty is a real bonus!!
Attached Images View Picture EXIF

Unfortunately it does say "purchased at the same time" which is what the K series warranty says and Pentax has repeatedly told those who have asked that they interpret that to mean within 30 days.

I've run the UPC and the Pentax part code that I provided in the original post through Google with no results other than this thread.

I just used their online web form through the Pentax USA site to submit the following:

The Extended Warranty for the Pentax Q series of cameras is not readily available from ANY authorized dealer in the US and is not on your website. However, I got one with my Q purchased from ShopNBC, so I know that they exist.

I already owned a Q and would like an extended warranty for my first one as well. Two problems, since it isn`t available anywhere - where can I purchase one? and since it was not available anywhere when I purchased the Q will Pentax wave the "purchased at the same time as the camera" stipulation in the warranty?

12-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Now I find that "at the request of the shipper" my package, which would have been delivered today via UPS, has been "transferred to the local post office for delivery".
I've had this happen a time or two and it ended up being PAINFULLY SLOW I got frustrated just reading that this is the way they chose for it to be delivered!!
12-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Pentax Q 12.4MP 3" LCD Screen Digital Camera w/ Zoom Lens Kit & 8GB SD Card ShopNBC.com

Its back at $246 and still includes the extended warranty. You can also do 6 payments over time (41ish each) with no interest.
12-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Sure - that figures. And I waiting so long before pulling the trigger at Newegg yesterday......could have saved $27.80 plus received the extended warranty......oh well.

12-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Sure - that figures. And I waiting so long before pulling the trigger at Newegg yesterday......could have saved $27.80 plus received the extended warranty......oh well.
Sorry. If its any consolation, I returned an 02 kit to Target because it would have cost me $60+ more and did not come with the warranty. I will say that Target was great on the return, even gave me the shipping back.
12-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Sorry. If its any consolation, I returned an 02 kit to Target because it would have cost me $60+ more and did not come with the warranty. I will say that Target was great on the return, even gave me the shipping back.
Yeah, I kind of thought of returning the one to newegg and buying this one, but after a couple minutes of thought... I've saved so much over the years with newegg's great prices and specials that I'll just let it ride. If it were $60 like in your case I might have done it though.

Newegg does have a price guarantee on this on - their "iron-egg holiday guarantee" - maybe I'll try to file that.

Edit to add - I just filled out the price match form at newegg - will see what happens. For $20 it was worth 2 minutes to fill out the form.

Last edited by stormtech; 12-03-2012 at 05:18 PM.
12-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Yeah, I kind of thought of returning the one to newegg and buying this one, but after a couple minutes of thought... I've saved so much over the years with newegg's great prices and specials that I'll just let it ride. If it were $60 like in your case I might have done it though.

Newegg does have a price guarantee on this on - their "iron-egg holiday guarantee" - maybe I'll try to file that.

Edit to add - I just filled out the price match form at newegg - will see what happens. For $20 it was worth 2 minutes to fill out the form.
Good for you. Newegg is a great company and their new Iron-egg guarantee seems like a great idea. I got 2 3Tb HDs for $69 each from them near midnight on Black Friday and they are up and running in my Probox right now. I hope it works out for you. I still can't believe that I got the Extended Warranty from ShopNBC AND a $241 price on the 02 Kit! The 02 by itself is listing at $259 at Amazon and $239 at WalMart!
12-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #38
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I just ordered using this deal, mostly for reviews- imagine that a year ago this setup would cost over $1k!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I just ordered using this deal, mostly for reviews- imagine that a year ago this setup would cost over $1k!
Congratulations!

I tried to talk to Pentax USA about th Q warranty and got drivel from them about the K camera warranty always having been the warranty for the Q!?!

No response AT ALL to my request that they accept extended warranties purchased outside the 30 day window because NO ONE knew that there was a Q warranty, or even that the K camera warranty was being used for the Q (still having trouble with that one personally).
12-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #40
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Congratulations!

I tried to talk to Pentax USA about th Q warranty and got drivel from them about the K camera warranty always having been the warranty for the Q!?!

No response AT ALL to my request that they accept extended warranties purchased outside the 30 day window because NO ONE knew that there was a Q warranty, or even that the K camera warranty was being used for the Q (still having trouble with that one personally).
Did you see my post in the thread with the photoplus video about the Q? JC of Pentax said it's got the same sensor, while the Japanese reps said it's got a different one. Nobody knows anything and it seems like Pentax doesn't even care about Pentax

I've got a K to Q adapter loaner ordered, so expect a review or blog post about it at some point. I doubt the Q will be in my hands much (got other writers), but at this price I think it's worth having around even if it's just to properly answer user questions!

There might also be an order in for the tele zoom, I can't even remember. Definitely want to review that lens as well.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #41

Photos: Gallery
These only come with the zoom lens correct? The standard lens is not included?

Thanks
12-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #42
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by korimako Quote
These only come with the zoom lens correct? The standard lens is not included?

Thanks
Yup that's correct, it's the zoom lens kit. Zoom lenses > prime lenses for a camera like this, though, IMO.

Adam

12-07-2012, 05:11 AM   #43
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup that's correct, it's the zoom lens kit. Zoom lenses > prime lenses for a camera like this, though, IMO.
When would you use any mirrorless camera instead of a DSLR or something like a Canon Gxx?
12-07-2012, 05:36 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoman1 Quote
When would you use any mirrorless camera instead of a DSLR or something like a Canon Gxx?
The Q is really small. I can take the 01-02-03 lens combination, 4 batteries, optical viewfinder, camera, remote, mini-tripod, hoods, and cleaning gear in a bag that I had written off as too small for my K-x plus 35/2.4! That means I can have a very nice kit with me in very little space. Also, if I need extreme telephoto I can use my adapter + Q + K300 and have a 1650 equivalent lens that produces rather solid images. Some have said that the Q is another tool in their main camera bag for times when they need to extend their telephoto reach even more or they want some crazy close macro. So, a Q+Adapter in your main bag can be like the days when we added auxiliary lenses to change the characteristics of the lens.

I realize some do not like the image quality of the Q. Frankly most photographers are not good enough to really know the difference between the output from the Q and the K-5. However, if you need maximum IQ, crazy bokeh, etc. then stick with a dSLR. If you want small, good optics, easy to use, and really crazy fun creative then the Q can be for you. Frankly, Adam is not a fan of the Q but he just bought one because at the ShopNBC price it becomes another tool in his camera bag and allows him to check for answers for PF members. This price is basically the same as for the 02 Zoom by itself from the big 2 camera suppliers.

I'd take a look at these threads to see the output from various users:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/172196-lets-share-shots-q.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/173602-reach-q-images.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/176169-pentax-q-street-shots-post-them-here.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/194467-pentax-q-real-world-user-review.html

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-07-2012 at 05:42 AM.
12-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #45
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by photoman1 Quote
If you're asking me, then my answer would be never unless the size of a DSLR would prohibit it from being used (i.e. at a restricted event or whatever). In a decade or two, though, I'd expect technology to evolve to the point where EVFs are almost just as good as OVFs, though.

Adam