Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
3-year extended warranty reminder!
Posted By: Adam, 11-26-2012, 01:45 PM

If you bought a new K-5/II/IIs, K-01, or K-30 in the US this weekend, don't forget to add the $19.95 3-year warranty. You can buy the warranty anywhere, regardless of where you bought the camera, as long as it's within 30 days of your purchase.

Views: 8,462
11-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
So, I have a warranty from late last year that has never been activated or used. Is it no longer any good?

I cannot not buy it with a shipping address in Florida, but a friend in NJ did so and had it sent to me. For some reason, they didn't mind that the mailing address was in Florida, as long as the billing address was not. I never bought the camera to use with which to apply it.
11-26-2012, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
So, I have a warranty from late last year that has never been activated or used. Is it no longer any good?

I cannot not buy it with a shipping address in Florida, but a friend in NJ did so and had it sent to me. For some reason, they didn't mind that the mailing address was in Florida, as long as the billing address was not. I never bought the camera to use with which to apply it.
They are not activated. The one from last year should match a camera body from that period. The rules are that the 2-year extended warranty is for a K body and has to be purchased within 30 days of the camera purchase of a new body. When you send the camera in for cleaning or service they want copies of the sales receipts for both the camera and warranty and the warranty card itself. That is how they check it, not through online registration at the time of purchase.
11-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
They are not activated. The one from last year should match a camera body from that period. The rules are that the 2-year extended warranty is for a K body and has to be purchased within 30 days of the camera purchase of a new body. When you send the camera in for cleaning or service they want copies of the sales receipts for both the camera and warranty and the warranty card itself. That is how they check it, not through online registration at the time of purchase.
That makes sense, since otherwise one could buy a warranty after the fact, as it were. In this case, it was bought before the fact, but I can understand how the same rules apply. Fortunately, it is only a $20 mistake.

11-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
That makes sense, since otherwise one could buy a warranty after the fact, as it were. In this case, it was bought before the fact, but I can understand how the same rules apply. Fortunately, it is only a $20 mistake.
Sorry that you have one that is useless but it is one of the best bargains for any Pentax item as it comes with 2 more years and a free cleaning and adjustment.
11-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I presume that doesn't apply to the UK for cameras bought from B & H and shipped here? I would buying the K5 ii s now if i knew this would apply for this part of the world!
11-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All is good, except that this warranty does not work if you are in FL and VA.

11-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

For clarification - it is a 2-year extended warranty, not 3-year.

The factory warranty is 1 year. The extended warranty gives you 2 more years of factory coverage so that you end up with 3 total years of Pentax Factory warranty coverage.
11-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Aww shucks. I'm in Florida.
11-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you bought a new K-5/II/IIs, K-01, or K-30 in the US this weekend, don't forget to add the $19.95 3-year warranty. You can buy the warranty anywhere, regardless of where you bought the camera, as long as it's within 30 days of your purchase.

Thanks for posting about the extended warranty, Adam. I didn't know about that, and for less than twenty bucks it's pretty much a no-brainer. I ordered a white K-01 yesterday from Adorama and also ordered the warranty at the same time. Too bad there's not something similar for the q.
11-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

"NOTE: This warranty may be purchased up to 30-days after initial purchase."
--- Anyone confirm "initial purchase" means date of purchase or the actual ship date? I pre-order the K5IIs, and not sure when it will be shipped? Should I buy this warranty AFTER the camera arrive or I can buy it now?
11-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Aww shucks. I'm in Florida.
What a rip. I am going to be raising some sand over this b.s. with FDACS.
11-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
"NOTE: This warranty may be purchased up to 30-days after initial purchase."
--- Anyone confirm "initial purchase" means date of purchase or the actual ship date? I pre-order the K5IIs, and not sure when it will be shipped? Should I buy this warranty AFTER the camera arrive or I can buy it now?
If you bought it from Adorama or B&H they do not charge your card until the day it ships. So, your invoice should have that date on it. In any event, I would order it and ask them to charge and ship it with the camera body.
11-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If you bought it from Adorama or B&H they do not charge your card until the day it ships. So, your invoice should have that date on it. In any event, I would order it and ask them to charge and ship it with the camera body.
Thanks.... chat with them and they change my order of the warranty to the same order as the camera, and will only charge and ship by then.
11-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #15

For those who are concerned about purchasing the warranty and their new K cameras have yet to ship ---

Since I purchased my K-5 on 23 Nov and the warranty on 27 Nov, the two receipts showing that I purchased the warranty within 30 days of 23 Nov would suffice when they solicit the documents showing that the camera is still in warranty service at the time of service. Just wanted to embolden what Docrwm had already said.