Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread

3-year extended warranty reminder!
Posted By: Adam, 11-26-2012, 01:45 PM

If you bought a new K-5/II/IIs, K-01, or K-30 in the US this weekend, don't forget to add the $19.95 3-year warranty. You can buy the warranty anywhere, regardless of where you bought the camera, as long as it's within 30 days of your purchase.

Views: 8,464
01-19-2013, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Good question. I bought a K5II this week off Amazon as well, $100 cheaper than B&H. Didn't hear about this extended warranty offer until just now... I read the info from B&H site for the warranty, and it says the purchase must be from an "authorized Pentax dealer". Those sound like the key words, and I wonder if an Amazon seller is excluded. (In this case it was a place called "Emmy Photo".)
I did a little checking on this as I bought one of my K-5's from Emmy Photo through Amazon last year. The warranty is good since you are buying through a third party vendor and that the order was fulfilled through Amazon. So the extended warranty that you can buy through B&H or Adorama is also valid. It is true that you must buy the warranty within 30 days of your camera purchase.

With many things from Amazon, the key to buying from a third party seller is that the order is fulfilled by Amazon.

01-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
I got mine in the mail a few days ago. I expected to have to go online and register the warranty, but the card said it was already registered. There's a bar code on the card, so did Adorama scan that and PRE-REGISTER the warranty in my name with Pentax USA before sending it out to me? I'm just trying to be clear, because like I said I'm used to having to register warranties myself.

So, I just keep the card in a safe place until I need to use it (I hope not)?
01-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NiftyFifty Quote
I got mine in the mail a few days ago. I expected to have to go online and register the warranty, but the card said it was already registered. There's a bar code on the card, so did Adorama scan that and PRE-REGISTER the warranty in my name with Pentax USA before sending it out to me? I'm just trying to be clear, because like I said I'm used to having to register warranties myself.

So, I just keep the card in a safe place until I need to use it (I hope not)?
As far as I know there is no registration for Pentax warranties. You simply keep you warranty card and receipt (both the original camera receipt and the extended warranty receipt). If/when you need a repair, it within the first year of normal warranty, send along a copy of the camera receipt with the camera. If in years 2 & 3, send along a copy of the original camera receipt, a copy of the extended warranty card, and a copy of the receipt for the extended warranty card.
01-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
As far as I know there is no registration for Pentax warranties. You simply keep you warranty card and receipt (both the original camera receipt and the extended warranty receipt). If/when you need a repair, it within the first year of normal warranty, send along a copy of the camera receipt with the camera. If in years 2 & 3, send along a copy of the original camera receipt, a copy of the extended warranty card, and a copy of the receipt for the extended warranty card.
That is absolutely correct. CRIS will check the receipts for who, when, and what - if it all matches then they do the repair and send the paperwork back with the item being repaired.

01-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #35

Photos: Albums
quick question, does it also applied if i am applying an internatinoal warranty card when my camera ships? is the extended warranty only through pentax USA? or is it a worldwide warranty?
01-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yen800 Quote
quick question, does it also applied if i am applying an internatinoal warranty card when my camera ships? is the extended warranty only through pentax USA? or is it a worldwide warranty?
US only. Many other countries offer much longer basic warranties on Pentax gear.
01-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
US only. Many other countries offer much longer basic warranties on Pentax gear.
well but what if I bought my camera in the US and ship across the border??

01-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #38
Veteran Member

well but what if I bought my camera in the US and ship across the border??
Typically it has to have a US return address for CRIS to deal with it or they'll recommend you use the service center authorized for your country.
01-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #39

Typically it has to have a US return address for CRIS to deal with it or they'll recommend you use the service center authorized for your country.
so just to confirm, it's good to go for Canadian to purchase it as well? since there should be authorize repair center around here...
01-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #40
Veteran Member

so just to confirm, it's good to go for Canadian to purchase it as well? since there should be authorize repair center around here...
NO. It is a US only add on to the warranty. In Canada you get 2 years with the Camera. In the US we get 1 year with the camera. We can add 2 more years for $19. It is only good in the US.
01-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
For clarification - it is a 2-year extended warranty, not 3-year.

The factory warranty is 1 year. The extended warranty gives you 2 more years of factory coverage so that you end up with 3 total years of Pentax Factory warranty coverage.
FYI for Canada it's 2 years

01-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #42

I just got my k01 today from amazon and just ordered this from adorama.
01-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #43

NO. It is a US only add on to the warranty. In Canada you get 2 years with the Camera. In the US we get 1 year with the camera. We can add 2 more years for $19. It is only good in the US.
I am starting to get confused.. I actually mean purchasing camera in the US and I am a Canadian, so the warranty won't be effective as worldwide warranty but US only?
01-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I was told by someone at Henry's Camera that Pentax has international warranty, and so if someone from US buy a Pentax DSLR from a Canadian retailer he still gets warranty coverage from Pentax USA. I just extrapolated that information and assumed that you can buy additional extended warranty for that product in the USA. Sounds like I am wrong.

Edit: I confirmed with Pentax USA support center that this extended warranty will be valid only for cameras sold in the US. But since Pentax has international warranty you will still 1 year of standard warranty.

Last edited by TropicalMonkey; 01-26-2013 at 11:28 AM.
01-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #45

That is absolutely correct. CRIS will check the receipts for who, when, and what - if it all matches then they do the repair and send the paperwork back with the item being repaired.
You can register your camera on the Pentax website....they just ask for camera model, serial number, month/year of purchase, name, and address. However, this is not required to be elgible for warranty service. What about new cameras purchased on ebay? Will Pentax honor that or does the purchase have to be from an authorized dealer?