Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

DA 300mm F4 - $1059
Posted By: Adam, 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM

Working on getting some better deals, but here's a new one from B&H:

Pentax SMCP-DA* 300mm f/4 ED (IF) SDM Autofocus Lens 21760 B&H ($1059)

Views: 1,852
12-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks for including the extra info calculator and Douge - the part of non-returnable etc must only be in the emails.

When I click on the link in the original post, and put it in my cart, there is no mention of this. It was not that I was doubting what you guys were saying.

At any rate, like I said above, I am still pondering the move. At this point I will just wait until they get it back in stock and see what happens with the price from there.
My thoughts exactly. As soon as I go to pull the trigger on this lens, out of stock

It says price is sticking until Dec 31, so I am really hoping they drop it another $75 for some after Christmas shopping

12-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
My thoughts exactly. As soon as I go to pull the trigger on this lens, out of stock

It says price is sticking until Dec 31, so I am really hoping they drop it another $75 for some after Christmas shopping
Well that part that says "until Dec 31" is for the $75 rebate - that was also there when the net price was $1054.

Douge quoted part of the email which says the lens should be back in stock within 7-14 days. I'm going to keep watching the site for when it comes back in stock. Maybe if they get them in before the 31st they will offer the same $1054 price until the 31st (wishful thinking).

My own fault for not just grabbing one in the past couple weeks..........
12-18-2012, 12:46 AM   #18

Nonreturnable/nonrefundable has long been the case at B&H for special order items. Note that backordered items don't come under that category; just items they no longer plan to stock on a regular basis.
12-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I've always been worried about SDM, so I've been very hesitant to buy any SDM lenses. In a way, I'm glad all of the old stock has been cleared so that if I do buy one this time around, I can be assured it will be the newest (and hopefully most reliable) iteration of the SDM motor.

12-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Youngster Quote
I can be assured it will be the newest (and hopefully most reliable) iteration of the SDM motor.
I dont think they ever redesigned the SDM motor or the mechanism.
12-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Oh. Boy.
I just got the DA*300.
I don't think I have EVER had a telephoto lens this SHARP!!! I might have to go to the Emergency Room as it cuts so crisp!!!
This in an astonishing lens!
Why are the reviews so downplayed?
I am floored at how awesome this lens is!

I think I just had a Pentagsm!!!
12-20-2012, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Oh. Boy.
I just got the DA*300.
I don't think I have EVER had a telephoto lens this SHARP!!! I might have to go to the Emergency Room as it cuts so crisp!!!

Well it got a 9/10- so I'd say it's among the best DA lenses out there!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Oh. Boy.
I just got the DA*300.

Ha! While I don't have the DA* version but the FA* version, I would say that every time I use it, and sit down to review my pics, I am amazed every time. Yeah - makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up straight it is so sharp.

Congrats on your purchase. I am so on the edge of buying this lens, but don't know if I would be gaining anything over my FA* except for the SDM, tripod foot, and WR.

12-20-2012, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Ha ha The DA*300 is a favorite for sure. This one is the best I have tried on the Q, too.
12-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Ha! While I don't have the DA* version but the FA* version, I would say that every time I use it, and sit down to review my pics, I am amazed every time. Yeah - makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up straight it is so sharp.

Congrats on your purchase. I am so on the edge of buying this lens, but don't know if I would be gaining anything over my FA* except for the SDM, tripod foot, and WR.
Tell me about it! Although SDM, the tripod foot and WR should be enough. Don't forget that the tripod foot works perfectly with the K -> Q adapter!

This lens is over the top awesome.