Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
DA* 55mm F1.4 -$595
Posted By: Adam, 12-05-2012, 01:48 PM

Cheaper only when in cart, save an additional $75 when purchased with a camera!

Pentax Telephoto 55mm f/1.4 DA* SDM Autofocus Lens 21790 B&H

Views: 1,680
12-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is apparently back in stock. My order from cyber Monday shipped today, I am told.
12-05-2012, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks Adam for the news. Just ordered one. Hopefully they'd send it out soon.

Now my WR setup complete: 16-50, 50-135, 55, 100WR

Ordered through the above link btw

--

Edit: got email from B&H, my lens is on the way

Last edited by frank; 12-06-2012 at 11:18 PM.
12-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #4

I just bough a k01 from b&h, if I had bought my da 55 with it together the price of the 55 would be a mere $515.

12-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's no point us buying it here from oz , shipping is close to $100.00 so lens works out the original price. Also there are the issues with warranty regarding Pentax gear bought in US , CR Kennedy will not honour the warranty I'f it's not purchased from them ,that's if the sudden death motor decides to let go. The price is tempting Adam but the other aspects are not.
12-13-2012, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
It's no point us buying it here from oz , shipping is close to $100.00 so lens works out the original price. Also there are the issues with warranty regarding Pentax gear bought in US , CR Kennedy will not honour the warranty I'f it's not purchased from them ,that's if the sudden death motor decides to let go. The price is tempting Adam but the other aspects are not.
Another member from Australia e-mailed me saying he ordered a lens and the shipping cost was just $50- but the order might have been from Adorama (btw, Adorama will always match B&H's prices).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

mine arrived!
(from B&H)
12-14-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I really want this lens.... To add another WR lens to kit...decisions decisions...

12-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EdwardConde Quote
I really want this lens.... To add another WR lens to kit...decisions decisions...
If the DA* lens club images aren't enough to help with your decision, also remember that the regular (list) price on this lens is $796.95 which it was listed at before the $75 rebate started but ends December 31.
12-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Gave in and bought the lens... i have been wanting this for some time now...
12-17-2012, 01:56 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Another member from Australia e-mailed me saying he ordered a lens and the shipping cost was just $50- but the order might have been from Adorama (btw, Adorama will always match B&H's pricesHidden content may not be quoted).
I get the part about Adorama matching the B&H price but warranty is a big deal , where do we take the lens to incase SDM fails ? do we ship it back to US at our cost to get it repaired ? as I said earlier CR kennedys won't honour the pentax warranty here if it's not bought from them.
12-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I get the part about Adorama matching the B&H price but warranty is a big deal , where do we take the lens to incase SDM fails ? do we ship it back to US at our cost to get it repaired ? as I said earlier CR kennedys won't honour the pentax warranty here if it's not bought from them.
Either that, or you'd have to pay for the repair in Oz. The SDM on the 55mm isn't prone to failure, though (fortunately):
SDM Reliability Survey - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-17-2012, 02:15 AM   #13

I think that Pentax should honor the warranty for the purchase of their products. When I bought my K10 when they first came out, I wanted to register with CR Kennedy but they didn't want to know me. They have a monopoly on the service in Australia for warranty. I checked their site when I just bought my new K5. Nothings changed.
My K10 was a great camera, sorry I sold it on ebay., as I have taken about 700 shots trying to capture the IQ of the K10 and a little frustrated with the always out of focus.
12-17-2012, 02:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Either that, or you'd have to pay for the repair in Oz. The SDM on the 55mm isn't prone to failure, though (fortunately):
SDM Reliability Survey - PentaxForums.com
Sorry Adam , but you say SDM isn't prone to Failure , but according to your statistics Graph there was 3 x SDM failures in 2011 out of 39 units that were surveyed. how does that work?
12-17-2012, 04:58 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry Adam , but you say SDM isn't prone to Failure , but according to your statistics Graph there was 3 x SDM failures in 2011 out of 39 units that were surveyed. how does that work?
Well there were 81 lenses in the survey and 4 SDM failures. I don't think anyone will guarantee that your SDM won't fail, it is just a lot lower percentage with the Pentax primes than with the DA * zooms (particularly the 16-50 and the 50-135). Anecdotally, I have owned one of these for three years and it hasn't shown any signs of problem.

It would make sense that the motors in the 55 would be less prone to failure -- the lens elements are smaller and the overall design is a lot less complex than with the DA * zooms.