Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
K-01 for $316 with 40XS at Amazon is back!! $399 Now.
Posted By: Docrwm, 12-28-2012, 05:51 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Pentax K-01 16MP APS-C CMOS Compact System Camera Kit with DA 40mm Lens (Yellow)

You must go to the additional sellers page and go to the Amazon.com offering. They are out of stock but taking orders at that price. Nladt tome this happened the price didn't ladt long, but Amazon honored the sales.

Down to $314.95 as of 1/8/13

$399 now 1/18/13

Attached Images

Last edited by Docrwm; 01-18-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Views: 26,882
01-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
You can always piggyback with step up rings. Doc is right on 27mm filter choices. I found a 27-37 and 37-49 to gift my son many of my forty year old filters. Actually looks pretty good on the pancake.
Great suggestion. Yes, rings will help with the filter choices a lot. I'm using some on my Q right now because 40.5 is a bit oddball too and its weird seeing the 49 or 52mm hanging off the front of the Q, nearly obscures the camera body itself Rings run $5-6 and can really save you a LOT on filters if you have the right ones.

01-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Works in reverse too. Either the lens or the body will sell for 150-200 on the marketplace, so it's like a massive rebate.
If anyone is buying the kit for the lens, I'll take the body off your hands at that price range - yes, even the yellow one

Last edited by jhaji; 01-09-2013 at 12:14 AM.
01-09-2013, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #78

Photos: Gallery
As a non-US resident, seeing pricing like this on Amazon pisses me off just a little bit. Call it envy, I don't care.

Click here for K-01 prices as offered on Amazon Japan.

With the present exchange rate between US$ and the Japanese yen, we get the following:

(rounded to the nearest dollar for sensibility's sake)

BODY ONLY
  • black: $340
  • white: $340 (actually costs five cents more than black!)
  • yellow: $374

WITH 40XS
  • black: $523
  • white: N/A as a bundle
  • yellow: N/A as a bundle

The 40XS alone goes for US$247.

Even Pentax's home customer base subsidises the US market.

Would like a yellow one, but feeling a bit broke in the wake of Christmas
01-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam G Quote
As a non-US resident, seeing pricing like this on Amazon pisses me off just a little bit. Call it envy, I don't care.

Click here for K-01 prices as offered on Amazon Japan.

With the present exchange rate between US$ and the Japanese yen, we get the following:

(rounded to the nearest dollar for sensibility's sake)

BODY ONLY
  • black: $340
  • white: $340 (actually costs five cents more than black!)
  • yellow: $374

WITH 40XS
  • black: $523
  • white: N/A as a bundle
  • yellow: N/A as a bundle

The 40XS alone goes for US$247.

Even Pentax's home customer base subsidises the US market.

Would like a yellow one, but feeling a bit broke in the wake of Christmas
Interesting perspective on the "subsidizes" issue. Do you know what Pentax and its distributors are charging Amazon in the US and Japan? I seriously doubt that Amazon US is loosing money on this deal, so where is the subsidy? It's really annoying, this issue came up with Maximum Assured Pricing was introduced in the US and many vented their spleen again the US when we complained. Pentax, the distributors, and retailers are all FOR PROFIT companies. If they sell, in an open market, at a specific price point one would hope that their managers are smart enough not to loose money on the proposition. "Fairness" has nothing whatsoever to do with Capitalism.

01-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #80
Forum Member

Can you people please post your estimated date of delivery? I ordered one on 5th of Jan and yet to get an estimate.
01-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #81
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tmsunil Quote
Can you people please post your estimated date of delivery? I ordered one on 5th of Jan and yet to get an estimate.
Have a look here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/210653-has-shipped-yet-thread.html

There are two situations, if you ordered when Amazon had "1-2 months estimated ship date" listed, then you would have been provided with an estimated shipping window. If you ordered after they took that down and put up "back ordered," then you would likely not get an estimated ship date (based on past experiences). They are basically saying that they don't know when the heck they will get any more in stock, but they are working on it and will honor the price.
01-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrbdm99 Quote
Have a look here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/210653-has-shipped-yet-thread.html

There are two situations, if you ordered when Amazon had "1-2 months estimated ship date" listed, then you would have been provided with an estimated shipping window. If you ordered after they took that down and put up "back ordered," then you would likely not get an estimated ship date (based on past experiences). They are basically saying that they don't know when the heck they will get any more in stock, but they are working on it and will honor the price.
Just to reinforce what you have said, that has been my experience buying from Amazon for our practice and for personal use. They have been the best supplier for us in honoring prices out of any across a variety of areas.

01-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess that is the main thing...that while they don't know when they will get it, they will get it and honor the price. I would hate to get an email a few weeks from now saying, "Sorry, but...."
01-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #84
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I guess that is the main thing...that while they don't know when they will get it, they will get it and honor the price. I would hate to get an email a few weeks from now saying, "Sorry, but...."
I think the only "Sorry, but..." email you would get from Amazon is one saying that they just couldn't acquire any more stock. Maybe a Sorry, but Pentax actually stop producing any more K-01s! Otherwise, I would just expect a bit of a long wait. I think they got pretty far back ordered. I'm inpatient. I check prices all over the web several times per day. The only thing that has kept from from ordering a 399 version from somewhere else is that most other places have a 7-10 day shipping/delivery window. By then, it will have run into the window Amazon said they might get new stock. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to get one else where and sell this one when it came in.
01-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
No, it means that IF they get it they will honor the price. Pentax and its distributors could be out of them and then there are none to sell at any price. If they get ANY they will honor that price and they'll do it in the order that the actual order was placed so if they get 12 and there are 100 orders then 88 people will get "Sorry...." letters.
01-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #86

Just received notification that Amazon will ship mine Jan. 25.
01-10-2013, 05:37 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hamiltom Quote
Just received notification that Amazon will ship mine Jan. 25.
When did you place your order?
01-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #88

I placed the order New Years Day. I was originally looking at the lens only, but this was too good of a deal to pass up.
01-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #89
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tmsunil Quote
The estimated window that I just got is Jan 30 - Feb 25. Thank you for everyone who responded.
01-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hamiltom Quote
I placed the order New Years Day. I was originally looking at the lens only, but this was too good of a deal to pass up.
Ok, so do you mean you received an estimated ship date with a window, or does it say it specifically will ship on that date? My order still has a window between jan 17 and feb 7 (just wanting to get some clarification!).

Edit: nevermind, saw your post in the has it shipped yet thread