Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Pentax 300mm f/2.8 SMC FA* IF ED AF Lens FROM KEH on Ebay
Posted By: dmort, 01-03-2013, 08:58 PM

Pentax 300mm F 2 8 SMC FA If Ed AF Lens 3038363 Free Shipping 12128 | eBay

Spotted this on ebay - couldn't find it on KEH's website but sometimes I find their listings of Pentax gear a bit wonky.

Anyways, figured someone might be interested!

Attached Images

Views: 9,355
01-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I'd love to have this, but as crewl1 points out, paying roughly 4x the price of a DA* 300 to gain one stop is a questionable value proposition.
Not if you want to show off your big white lens to the Canonites! ("Hello everyone, look at me I'm a PRO!" )

Sweet lens though!

01-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's back up, but now it's at $3800

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-300mm-f-2-8-SMC-FA-IF-ED-AF-Lens-3038363-Free...21038006128%26
01-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

guess they are not in any hurry to sell because it's been on ebay forever
01-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
guess they are not in any hurry to sell because it's been on ebay forever
At $3800 I can understand why.

01-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

$3820 OBO. Actually I expected it to have sold by now. Who knows what they mean by OBO but surely they'd accept $3800, really not a bad price for what looks like a very clean copy, given free shipping and a no-hassle return policy (though buyer pays return shipping).
01-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #21

QuoteQuote:
I'd buy that right now, but they won't sell to Australia..... Getting So P'ed
off with ebay sellers in the
US that wont sell internationally, They take it to the Post office, what
difference does it make if the delivery address is around the corner, or around
the world??? They never post until payment is cleared and they have the money,
so I am at a complete loss, Cant even messagethem as they dont accept
international messages.... Very dissappointing..

I second that itís so frustrating great deals go begging not necessarily this one, for me way to pricey . but other retailers whatís the deal you go to the post office and bam itís in Australia
01-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I'd buy that right now, but they won't sell to Australia..... Getting So P'ed off with ebay sellers in the US that wont sell internationally, They take it to the Post office, what difference does it make if the delivery address is around the corner, or around the world??? They never post until payment is cleared and they have the money, so I am at a complete loss, Cant even messagethem as they dont accept international messages.... Very dissappointing..
Where do I start? By saying I'm sorry you are frustrated but you really don't know what you're talking about when it comes to shipping internationally from the US.

First, it's not just take it to the post office. If its within the US I have 0 paperwork, can have my secretary take it, or can leave it in the drop box if the right postage is affixed. If its international I have to have the right forms - one for customs and one for the USPS (and I mean the right one out of hundreds) filled out in 5x, I have to appear in person with ID, and I have to affix the 5x forms to the outside of the box (and bigger costs more, but smaller worn't accept the size of the 5x forms envelop).

Second, PayPal has started playing nasty with sellers by holding money until the buyer says that everything is fine with the order. If its overseas the chances of getting your item kept and the money refunded is very real.

If they only posted once the money was cleared, in many instances that would mean you would not see it in the mail for 21 or more days because that is how long they can hold you money waiting to see if there is a complaint.

If you don't sell internationally why would you accept international messages?
01-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the price isn't completely silly. I bought a nice one for $3600 in December of 2011 and around the same time sold a perfectly good DA*300 for much less.
Besides the fact that I have a long fast lens disease (incurable), my reason was the so far unfulfilled promise of Pentax to release an automatic 1.4x converter.

Converters eat f stops like candy---1 fstop because it's a converter, and a 2nd f stop because it's bad form to expect a lens to do its best wide open with
a converter---- if you start with an f4 lens and blow off 2 fstops, you are at f8 which can be a challenge in deep shadows or on dreary days. Additionally
the FA *300 is usable with the classic and historic dedicated converters sold by Pentax years ago which I own.

If I am going to play the pile on the converters game, I'd much rather start with the rather rare Pentax-A* 400 f2.8 that I also own unless portability is an issue.
but if you are dealing with a fleeting opportunity, the FA*300 on a monopod with a converter in your pocket. bagging a photo of a little guy like
this just works so well with the FA*300

01-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Doc, No offense, but. it seems that some people/companies have zero problems with selling Internationally, they do all the paperwork and have zero hassles doing it, then we have the others that won't, reason being "because of Paperwork?" and so many times I've seen these people reduce and reduce their price, up to 30-40% to get a sale, and constantly bump their posts or re-list their item, when you can clearly see buyers internationally willing to pay the original price and all the fees to purchase internationally, so the seller (and consequently the buyer) miss's out on selling for good money because don't want to have to do a few forms?, That's kind of like leaving you hand stuck in a mouse trap, because you couldn't be bothered with having to, open the mouse trap, then, take your hand out of the open mouse trap.......

In Australia, to send any Larger parcel in the Post, I have to go to the Post Office in person, doesn't matter if it's destination is around the corner or around the world, and I have to fill in a form and everything, Hasn't stopped me. And when I recieve a parcel, I again have to go to the Post Office to collect it and Show them My ID to prove who I am, sign a form, doesn't make me think twice about getting things, it's just part of the process.

If a company is struggling to sell a $3000+ dollar item (which with this, they obviously are see it has been around so long on their KEH site, and now re-listed on fleabay) and they have had it instock for more than a quarter, that money starts to burn a hole in their overdraft, so for a company it makes sense to sell internationally for the sake of a few forms. If They did, They would have their money right now.

I've purchased so many items from the US without any hint of hassle from the company or individual selling, some of it big and heavy stuff for my Jeep where they normally did not ship overseas, but were quite happy to give me a price and ship the items, I've also purchased items form Germany, Spain, Italy, England, France, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore ect ect, so it just seems "disappointing" to me, when the reason I can't buy something from the US, is that somebody doesn't want to spend a little time filling out a form and walking into a Post Office so "They" can make some money selling an item. If I had bought it, then I would be be selling my Sigma APO EX DG 300/2.8, most likely - Internationally.
01-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Doc, No offense, but. it seems that some people/companies have zero problems with selling Internationally, they do all the paperwork and have zero hassles doing it, then we have the others that won't, reason being "because of Paperwork?" and so many times I've seen these people reduce and reduce their price, up to 30-40% to get a sale, and constantly bump their posts or re-list their item, when you can clearly see buyers internationally willing to pay the original price and all the fees to purchase internationally, so the seller (and consequently the buyer) miss's out on selling for good money because don't want to have to do a few forms?, That's kind of like leaving you hand stuck in a mouse trap, because you couldn't be bothered with having to, open the mouse trap, then, take your hand out of the open mouse trap.......

In Australia, to send any Larger parcel in the Post, I have to go to the Post Office in person, doesn't matter if it's destination is around the corner or around the world, and I have to fill in a form and everything, Hasn't stopped me. And when I recieve a parcel, I again have to go to the Post Office to collect it and Show them My ID to prove who I am, sign a form, doesn't make me think twice about getting things, it's just part of the process.

If a company is struggling to sell a $3000+ dollar item (which with this, they obviously are see it has been around so long on their KEH site, and now re-listed on fleabay) and they have had it instock for more than a quarter, that money starts to burn a hole in their overdraft, so for a company it makes sense to sell internationally for the sake of a few forms. If They did, They would have their money right now.

I've purchased so many items from the US without any hint of hassle from the company or individual selling, some of it big and heavy stuff for my Jeep where they normally did not ship overseas, but were quite happy to give me a price and ship the items, I've also purchased items form Germany, Spain, Italy, England, France, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore ect ect, so it just seems "disappointing" to me, when the reason I can't buy something from the US, is that somebody doesn't want to spend a little time filling out a form and walking into a Post Office so "They" can make some money selling an item. If I had bought it, then I would be be selling my Sigma APO EX DG 300/2.8, most likely - Internationally.
I've just sold two items here internationally, it was a pain but the members were nice guys. For a small outfit the hassles can be a large barrier. KEH is here in my town, although I can't actually go in because they have no showroom. They're actually a small oufit from a personnel standpoint. I've found them to be very responsive in the past, it might make a positive difference if you contacted them with your arguments.
01-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

hey doc, i used to have an online business and i sold through ebay and my inventory was not fake knockoffs ...i sold alot to europe with no more issues than i did to the us...you can open a usps account and actually do all the paperwork at home and then drop the package off at the post office...knock on wood i have not sold this year but never had issues with paypal holding payment but maybe that was because i sold alot through them ??? in any case maybe i was lucky but a high volume of my business was europe because alot of other sellers would not ship to them...i didn't raise my prices either...ebay got so cutthroat and with the knockoffs it became really hard to be competetive even though i was a little guy... just my 2 cents and more on shipping to europe
01-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
hey doc, i used to have an online business and i sold through ebay and my inventory was not fake knockoffs ...i sold alot to europe with no more issues than i did to the us...you can open a usps account and actually do all the paperwork at home and then drop the package off at the post office...knock on wood i have not sold this year but never had issues with paypal holding payment but maybe that was because i sold alot through them ??? in any case maybe i was lucky but a high volume of my business was europe because alot of other sellers would not ship to them...i didn't raise my prices either...ebay got so cutthroat and with the knockoffs it became really hard to be competetive even though i was a little guy... just my 2 cents and more on shipping to europe
All I know is that in the past year the rules at many places have changed. PayPal held my money on 3 occassions, despite our clinic using it to process a LOT of payments, when I sold merchandise. The USPS will NOT accept overseas packages at my branch from anyone but the person that is paying and whose name appears on the paperwork - period. In one instance with PP the buyer of one of my watches decided he did not want it, told me so in email (his mistake), and then claimed to PP that it was not as described. PP told him to keep the watch (rather expensive) and then told me TS. I sent them all the emails and highlighted his statement that he liked it, it was "perfect", but had decided he didn't want it. It took over 90 days for me to get MY money out of them.

As I said, I have sold twice overseas here recently to nice forum members. But, I get to choose to whom I am willing to sell. It's a zoo out there and PP and the USPS are not making it better.
02-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Finally sold, perhaps? Listing has ended when there were still many days left. Last listed price: $3820 OBO.
02-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
Pentax 300mm F 2 8 SMC FA If Ed AF Lens 3038363 Free Shipping 12128 | eBay

Spotted this on ebay - couldn't find it on KEH's website but sometimes I find their listings of Pentax gear a bit wonky.

Anyways, figured someone might be interested!
I have bought it
A bit tricky since the seller dont send outside Us. Cant wait to get it home
02-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mundus Quote
I have bought it
Congratulations! Post some photos soon.