Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Pentax 300mm f/2.8 SMC FA* IF ED AF Lens FROM KEH on Ebay
Posted By: dmort, 01-03-2013, 08:58 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Pentax 300mm F 2 8 SMC FA If Ed AF Lens 3038363 Free Shipping 12128 | eBay

Spotted this on ebay - couldn't find it on KEH's website but sometimes I find their listings of Pentax gear a bit wonky.

Anyways, figured someone might be interested!

Attached Images

Views: 11,909
02-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I'd buy that right now, but they won't sell to Australia..... Getting So P'ed off with ebay sellers in the US that wont sell internationally, They take it to the Post office, what difference does it make if the delivery address is around the corner, or around the world??? They never post until payment is cleared and they have the money, so I am at a complete loss, Cant even messagethem as they dont accept international messages.... Very dissappointing..
The post office often doesn't have tracking information to the rest of the world. The USPS hands it over to Australian post and it 'disappears'. KEH sends it, you "never receive it" or "received a box of rocks". Paypal will take you at your word and refund your money. You have a $3800 lens for free.

02-23-2013, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mundus Quote
The FA 300 f.2.8 arrived today
What a beauty! So glad for you!
02-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #48
Pentaxian

The best and most expensive lenses in the Pentax portfolio are 5-10 years old. That tells a lot.
03-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The post office often doesn't have tracking information to the rest of the world. The USPS hands it over to Australian post and it 'disappears'. KEH sends it, you "never receive it" or "received a box of rocks". Paypal will take you at your word and refund your money. You have a $3800 lens for free.
USPS "First Class International" does not have tracking out of the US, but If you ship with "Priority" or "Express" then you should have full tracking with international shipments. I believe that when the Priority/Express package gets to the foreign country it is transferred to a private delivery company or courier service instead of the local postal system. Of course, those services are rather expensive, especially with large packages. If I'm selling something on eBay and I'm offering something internationally, then I just make sure the shipping charge is high enough. For example, I'm currently selling a Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 on eBay. My shipping charge for US buyers is $9.99, but for International buyers it is $49.99.

I usually offer my items internationally, but if I think that something will be unreasonably expensive to ship Priority or Express, then I only offer it in the US. But I will sometimes still get international buyers asking if I'll sell them the item and ship using USPS First Class in order to save on shipping charges. I usually tell them that the only way I'll sell to them and ship First Class is if they intentionally pay in such a way that they do not qualify for eBay/PayPal's "Buyer Protection" program.

I tell them that if they're willing to waive their buyer protection and assume the risk of shipping First Class to their country, then they can pay me by a direct PayPal personal payment. In other words, they do not use any links associated with eBay, and instead just send me a general payment by logging directly into their PayPal account. That way, the payment is not linked to the eBay transaction and they don't qualify for the buyer protection. I've had a lot of people take me up on the offer.

As others here have pointed out, eBay/PayPal's buyer protection can be very frustrating for US sellers who ship internationally since it is very easy to abuse the system. Basically, if a US seller ships something First Class, then the buyer just has to claim they didn't get it and they almost automatically get a refund from the seller's PayPal account.

I had that happen to me a few years ago when I sold a Pentax K100d Super to someone in South Africa that seemed to be a reputable buyer. He requested that I use First Class to save shipping costs, and at the time I didn't know any better. He later claimed to not receive it. I had documentation proving that I shipped it, but since I used First Class I didn't have full tracking and delivery confirmation. So I lost the camera and PayPal refunded the $250 or so out of my PayPal account.

03-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great lens. I have one that I had sold a couple times but the buyers always decided to back out. Still for sale if somebody wants to contact me. Rarely use it anymore with my 645D and 600mm A*.

One thing to note though for international shipping from the US as a lot of people seem to be complaining about it. I can't remember the exact value but somewhere around 3k to 4k you have to have a special export license to ship outside of North America. As a vendor that regularly ships outside it wouldn't be an issue. But for a company that only rarely sends merchandise of over that value it would be a loss. I ran into a lot of issues with that trying to get my own personally owned equipment shipped from the States to Namibia, let alone an international customer. It isn't as simple as just lowering the value on the invoice because if you get audited then it would result in hefty fines. I ended up having to go through a shipping broker even though I was trying to ship with FedEx. Cost something like $300 for the service but was the only way since I didn't have the export license.

There are services though if it is under that value where you can have it shipped to a US address to meet the sellers requirements and they will slap a new label onto it and forward on to you. I have Australian friends who have done that many times because they are always complaining about the limited children's clothes and skiing gear they can purchase in Australia...

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I had that happen to me a few years ago when I sold a Pentax K100d Super to someone in South Africa that seemed to be a reputable buyer. He requested that I use First Class to save shipping costs, and at the time I didn't know any better. He later claimed to not receive it. I had documentation proving that I shipped it, but since I used First Class I didn't have full tracking and delivery confirmation. So I lost the camera and PayPal refunded the $250 or so out of my PayPal account.
Your buyer could have easily been telling the truth. The government mail service in South Africa (and most all African countries) is not reliable at all. Amazon no longer ships here because so many things get stolen from the mail. FedEx and DHL are about the only two trustworthy deliver services and even they are only trustworthy when they include insurance. There is no investigation when something gets stolen from a non insured shipment. When something is stolen from an insured shipment there is.

I have had work clothes, old but still in excellent condition, shipped to me through UPS uninsured and when the package arrived I opened it up to find some old torn up rags. Just imagine my surprise. One of the customs officers or package handlers obviously opened it up changed into my clothes and through his old ones in the package so it would appear nothing had happened. Submit a notice but nobody cares because they don't have to pay you anything. If it is insured they will go back through all the surveillance video and catch the culprit so the culprits never touch insured goods...

Last edited by atlnq9; 03-10-2013 at 06:03 AM.
03-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
Your buyer could have easily been telling the truth. The government mail service in South Africa (and most all African countries) is not reliable at all.
Maybe he was, but he had specifically requested First Class, and we had agreed that he would assume the liability if something happened to the package, and my auction listing had also stated that the international buyer was responsible for shipping problems once the item was in transit. But then after a couple weeks (even though First Class can sometimes take longer than that) he went ahead and filed an "item not received" dispute with eBay/PayPal, and of course they refunded him the money. So whether he actually got the camera or not, I still consider him to be dishonest and an abuser of the system and of my good faith.
03-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe he was, but he had specifically requested First Class, and we had agreed that he would assume the liability if something happened to the package, and my auction listing had also stated that the international buyer was responsible for shipping problems once the item was in transit. But then after a couple weeks (even though First Class can sometimes take longer than that) he went ahead and filed an "item not received" dispute with eBay/PayPal, and of course they refunded him the money. So whether he actually got the camera or not, I still consider him to be dishonest and an abuser of the system and of my good faith.
Agree, he should have known the high risk of it getting stolen in the mail. Whether or not he is telling the truth about it not being received, as you state, he agreed to accept the risk of no insurance then filed a complaint. Give me his address and next time I am in SA I'll punch him in the nose for you.

03-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would ahve refused to send the item First Class for the reasons you state. Signature Required would force him to say it was a box of rocks - a much more bald-faced lie.
03-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I would ahve refused to send the item First Class for the reasons you state. Signature Required would force him to say it was a box of rocks - a much more bald-faced lie.
It was definately a lesson learned. I hated losing $250 and basically throwing away a good camera, but it could have been worse.
03-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was definately a lesson learned. I hated losing $250 and basically throwing away a good camera, but it could have been worse.
Well it is a good lesson for me. I just sold $900 worth of stuff to a member in Australia. He's bought high-dollar things from me before and it worked out fine - but still.
03-10-2013, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by Mundus Quote
It is mine. (How many of you know the feeling I have now..? ) Bring out the cognac..
haha Congrats... I know who you're feeling right now... I bought this lens last year... and wow what a feeling when you work with this great lens..
enjoy... it's a wonderfull lens..
03-10-2013, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

Congrats ... what a great lens ... J
03-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well it is a good lesson for me. I just sold $900 worth of stuff to a member in Australia. He's bought high-dollar things from me before and it worked out fine - but still.
If you're not selling on eBay, then it's not such a big deal. But eBay has their "Buyer Protection" which is tipped way too much in the buyer's favor. It's gotten so bad, that sellers can't even leave negative feedback for bad buyers anymore.

I think that PayPal also offers some sort of protection for transactions that occur outside of eBay, but I don't think it's as strong. I haven't really looked into it.