Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

DO NOT BUY Pentax 40mm F2.8 from Overstock.com
Posted By: 1812, 01-04-2013, 07:01 AM

REVISED 1-23-2013

Do not buy the Pentax 40mm lens from overstock.com

They have the wrong picture and description.

The overstock.coms lens is the 40mm XS, not the 40mm Limited

By now, I as well as several others have mistakenly bought this lens from overstock and obtained refunds. They originally described the lens as the Pentax Limited in all of there description. Now they have partially changed there description.

Repeat, it is the XS lens, not the limited.

Do not buy unless you want the 40mm XS lens.

Robert

Last edited by 1812; 01-23-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: To make sure nobody else purchases this lens by mistake
Views: 9,538
01-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #31

Original Poster
New Pentax 40mm Limited lens stock at Overstock.com ($272.00 USA)

QuoteOriginally posted by laolao Quote
Back in stock, guys! 5 left
I also got a notice this morning that they now have 5 in stock. I didn't post yet because I wanted to make absolutely certain that they were sending the 40mm limited lens and not the 40mm DA XS lens (or a ceiling fan).

My lens, that I ordered last week, is out for delivery to me today via UPS.I will let everyone know what they deliver as soon as it gets in. It should arrive around 12:00 PM eastern time.

They still have the 5 left at this time.

I strongly recommend waiting to be sure that they are shipping the 40mm limited lens.

Robert

01-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 1812 Quote
I also got a notice this morning that they now have 5 in stock. I didn't post yet because I wanted to make absolutely certain that they were sending the 40mm limited lens and not the 40mm DA XS lens (or a ceiling fan).

My lens, that I ordered last week, is out for delivery to me today via UPS.I will let everyone know what they deliver as soon as it gets in. It should arrive around 12:00 PM eastern time.

They still have the 5 left at this time.

I strongly recommend waiting to be sure that they are shipping the 40mm limited lens.

Robert
thanks Robert.
01-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tzrenz0 Quote
What is this? am I dreaming? An ALL-BLACK K-01? Pentax K-01 16.3MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens | Overstock.com
Not a real product...

The photo is a mockup.
01-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Not a real product...

The photo is a mockup.
thought so. weird

01-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #35
Veteran Member

It's noon Eastern Time, anxiously waiting to find out what colour my fan is

Thanks for the future update, Robert
01-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #36

Original Poster
DO NOT ORDER Pentax 40MM LENS FROM OVERSTOCK

QuoteOriginally posted by laolao Quote
thanks Robert.
I just received my lens from Overstock.com.

It is not the 40mm Limited that they described. It is a brown box DA XS kit lens.

Sorry for causing the trouble for everyone. I guess I should have applied the age old rule "that if if sounds to good to be true, ...."

There should not be any trouble returning to Overstock.com for a full refund.

Robert
01-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #37
Site Supporter

I got one. Great price!
01-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #38
Pentaxian

didn't we see this coming? but what's nuts is that a DA 40 XS shouldn't be this expensive; it goes for $250 brand-new I think, and even under $200 sometimes.

01-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Well... here is the chat I just had with them.

Greg D. : My name is Greg D. . How may I help you today?
Lauren: I just ordered something, and the image might be incorrect. Will Overstock honor it?
Greg D. : What is the item?
Lauren: XXXXXXXXXX
Lauren: That is my order #
Greg D. : For security purposes, may I have you verify the name and complete billing address?
Lauren: Lauren
Lauren: XXX XXXXX XXXX XXXX XXX, XXXX, FL 99999
Greg D. : This is for the Pentax smc P-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Lens?
Lauren: Yes.
Greg D. : That is what you should be receiving.
Lauren: Is that the lens I will be getting?
Greg D. : That is it.
Lauren: Thanks. Can you send me this "chat" via email so I have proof if something goes wrong?
Greg D. : I can't send you a copy of the text. You may copy and paste it in a text document if you want.
Lauren: Ok. Thanks.
Greg D. : There will also be a record of our conversation on your account.
Greg D. : Have I addressed all of your concerns today?
Lauren: Great!
Lauren: Yes, thanks!
Greg D. : Thank you for contacting Overstock.com. Looking for even more fantastic deals? You can save big bucks on Cars, Travel, and Insurance on Overstock.com. Links to those services can be found on the top left hand side of the homepage.
Greg D. has disconnected.
01-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I'd rather a coffee maker >

Email sent to cancel order or confirm it is not a XS
01-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 1812 Quote
I just received my lens from Overstock.com.

It is not the 40mm Limited that they described. It is a brown box DA XS kit lens.

Sorry for causing the trouble for everyone. I guess I should have applied the age old rule "that if if sounds to good to be true, ...."

There should not be any trouble returning to Overstock.com for a full refund.

Robert
Well they are getting better - at least you got some sort of lens instead of a ceiling fan.........
01-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #42
Pentaxian

This absolutely should have been the DA 40 Limited lens. The item description even mentions what it comes with:

• Lens Hood MH-RC 49mm
  • DA 40mm Lens Cap 49mm
  • DA 40mm Lens Soft Case
These are all things that the DA 40 XS does not have! No 49mm lens hood, no 40mm lens cap, and no soft case!

They should give you the DA limited, not question about that. The DA 40 XS is a real bait-and-switch, especially as I noted above that B&H is selling the DA 40 XS for $246 and at Adoroma it's $195 (when added to cart). There's no way it's a hot deal at $272.
01-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #43
Pentaxian

But I will say in Overstock's favor-- they are, in my experience, good at making sure you get a refund. I bought a $170 coffee table from them last year and it came delivered with a small chip in the side of it. They sent me another table and it had several big scratches. I asked them for a refund of my full purchase price, and they did it promptly-- and also told me to keep both tables. So I sold one using Craigslist and made a fast $50, and now I'm using the other one in my basement as a kid's play table.
01-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
But I will say in Overstock's favor-- they are, in my experience, good at making sure you get a refund. I bought a $170 coffee table from them last year and it came delivered with a small chip in the side of it. They sent me another table and it had several big scratches. I asked them for a refund of my full purchase price, and they did it promptly-- and also told me to keep both tables. So I sold one using Craigslist and made a fast $50, and now I'm using the other one in my basement as a kid's play table.
Well if it happens with this lens, then it will be a great deal!
I've documented everything and sent several emails to them in the last hour or so.
If they mess with me, then Visa will hang them out to dry!

01-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #45

Thanks all. I ordered this morning, but was able to cancel my order in time after hearing that it was a 40 XS and not a limited lens