Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread

DO NOT BUY Pentax 40mm F2.8 from Overstock.com
Posted By: 1812, 01-04-2013, 07:01 AM

REVISED 1-23-2013

Do not buy the Pentax 40mm lens from overstock.com

They have the wrong picture and description.

The overstock.coms lens is the 40mm XS, not the 40mm Limited

By now, I as well as several others have mistakenly bought this lens from overstock and obtained refunds. They originally described the lens as the Pentax Limited in all of there description. Now they have partially changed there description.

Repeat, it is the XS lens, not the limited.

Do not buy unless you want the 40mm XS lens.

Robert

Last edited by 1812; 01-23-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: To make sure nobody else purchases this lens by mistake
Views: 12,523
01-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess the old saying "too good to be true..." Tried to cancel my order, but no luck. Placed the order Friday, but still says "processing..."

Last edited by HenrikDK; 01-08-2013 at 12:28 PM.
01-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #47
Veteran Member

OM (Overstock manager): Hey Joe, I've got some stuff here for you to put up on the site.
Joe: Okay, whatayagot?
OM: Well it says Pentax on the front.
Joe: Kotex? Ya want me to list some Kotex?
OM: Nah, not Kotex, Pentax.
Joe: Spell it for me.
OM: P-E-N-T-A-X Pentax.
Joe: Is it some kind of ink pens to use for taxes?
OM: Nah, they have a 40 and mm and a F 2.8 on them.
Joe: We got any stock photos?
OM: Nah, Google it, then copy the picture and description.
Joe: Okay Boss.
Joe: Hey Boss, done and done! What's next?
OM: Well, we just got in a load of Pensonic ceiling fans.
Joe: Spell it for me.

Sorry, probably not funny for those who ordered.
Trust me, I was almost right there behind you.
01-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They have not even processed my payment yet. Hopefully I can get a refund and not have to bother returning it

Then it is off to good ol' trusty B&H or Adorama
01-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, their customer service just called. They are assuring me that it's the DA 40mm F/2.8 limited and NOT the XS, but Amanda (their customer service rep) is calling the warehouse to make 100%sure. I showed Overstock the B&H website and the two lenses and she was like "At Overstock we try and have amazing deals". I said, sure, but notice how much the DA40mm F/2.8 is in relation to the XS version. She was unfazed. I await her call back.

01-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Well, their customer service just called. They are assuring me that it's the DA 40mm F/2.8 limited and NOT the XS, but Amanda (their customer service rep) is calling the warehouse to make 100%sure. I showed Overstock the B&H website and the two lenses and she was like "At Overstock we try and have amazing deals". I said, sure, but notice how much the DA40mm F/2.8 is in relation to the XS version. She was unfazed. I await her call back.
Glad you are having luck. Keep us updated! I called, and the person I spoke to said there was nothing she could do since the order had been passed to the warehouse. My order is still processing so maybe someone discovered that the ceiling fan they were trying to ship did not match the order ;-)

PS: thought the ceiling fan was a joke. Did you guys see the picture? 18 lbs ceiling fan rather than a 18-55WR. Hilarious - at least for the ones that did not order one!
01-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
PS: thought the ceiling fan was a joke. Did you guys see the picture? 18 lbs ceiling fan rather than a 18-55WR. Hilarious - at least for the ones that did not order one!
No joke - a few of us, myself included, had a ceiling fan delivered via UPS.
01-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I just checked and my order just changed from "Processing" to "Shipped." So, fingers crossed. I'll keep you all posted.

01-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
I guess the old saying "too good to be true..." Tried to cancel my order, but no luck. Placed the order Friday, but still says "processing..."
Overstock clearly states that once the order is sent to the warehouse cancellation is not possible. So, you have to cancel within the first few minutes - the window is short. But, Overstock does have a return policy. If you get the wrong lens, just return it.

I placed my order on this past Sunday, January 6th. Overstock's FAQs state that orders usually take 2 business days after ordering to process. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday didn't count. My order was saying "Processing" up until about 20 minutes ago. I happened to log back in to do a chat session with a representative and I saw my order had been updated to "Shipped" and there was a UPS tracking number. I clicked on the tracking number and saw that my lens will get here tomorrow (I paid an extra $9 for expedited shipping). So, don't worry - when they update your order, your lens will most likely already be well under way to you.

And, remember, not everyone who ordered is getting the wrong lens, I don't think. It's looking like a crap shoot. So, just wait and see what UPS brings and if it's the wrong lens return it for a refund or exchange and then go leave a REVIEW saying they sent the wrong lens. When folks stop buying it, they'll get the product info right. Inconvenient, I know, but it's not like you're not going to get your money back. They may even pay for returns when it's their fault, and if they do you've lost nothing in the long run.
01-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #54

My order just updated to "Shipped" with a UPS tracking number. UPS is showing that it'll be delivered tomorrow. The lens actually shipped about 24 hours ago, but my Overstock account didn't get updated until less than 30 minutes ago. They can stand to do better in that area, too.

I'll let y'all know what UPS brings me. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for the right item.
01-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Got a reply back from Overstock, even though Paypal has not processed my transaction, my lens will arrive today or tomorrow.

Overstock has not heard about complaints or doubts with this lens.

Overstock has never heard of a lens being ordered and a fan being shipped.

I can return free of cost to me.
01-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #56

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
Got a reply back from Overstock, even though Paypal has not processed my transaction, my lens will arrive today or tomorrow.

Overstock has not heard about complaints or doubts with this lens.

Overstock has never heard of a lens being ordered and a fan being shipped.

I can return free of cost to me.
Overstock.com has had complaints about this lens. I made them aware of the problem by email and on there chat line yesterday afternoon.

Overstock.com has also shipped ceiling fans instead of a Pentax lens. See:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/197569-18-55-weather-r...r-weekend.html

I hope that some get the correct lens, but I doubt anyone will get anything other than a complete refund including shipping.

Overstock said that they will send the correct lens to me, but I think I have a better chance of winning the lottery.

The return shipping label address that overstock.com provided to me is:

Camera Lane Inc.
245 Belmont Drive
Somerset, NJ 08873

Attached is some information that I found about Camera Lane Inc., the supplier for this lens for overstock.com. They are a subsidary of "Broadway Family". They are one of about 30 names that Broadway Family dba (does business as).
01-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The OnLine chat person told me yesterday after she checked that there was record of one shipping error. I try to not read that as "so far." She suggested I wait for the shipment and receive a refund if it's the wrong item.
01-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #58

Hope it's the real deal. I just got the last one. I have ordered through them before and had no problems.
01-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ugh. On the phone with Amanda (Overstock) now....its going to be the XS version. Well see what happens over the conversation. On hold now.
01-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dang. Has anyone on this thread received the correct one yet? They wouldn't cancel my order yesterday.