Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

DO NOT BUY Pentax 40mm F2.8 from Overstock.com
Posted By: 1812, 01-04-2013, 07:01 AM

REVISED 1-23-2013

Do not buy the Pentax 40mm lens from overstock.com

They have the wrong picture and description.

The overstock.coms lens is the 40mm XS, not the 40mm Limited

By now, I as well as several others have mistakenly bought this lens from overstock and obtained refunds. They originally described the lens as the Pentax Limited in all of there description. Now they have partially changed there description.

Repeat, it is the XS lens, not the limited.

Do not buy unless you want the 40mm XS lens.

Robert

Last edited by 1812; 01-23-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: To make sure nobody else purchases this lens by mistake
Views: 9,267
01-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The saga (for me) appears to be over. At least they finally got the lens name correct.

Hello Lauren,
We received your return for the Pentax DA 40mm F2.8 XS lens.
A credit in the amount of $271.99 was issued on 01/10/2013. This credit will post to your account according to the time frame established by your financial institution.

A breakdown of your refund is shown below:

Total Quantity: 1
Total Price: $271.99

Total Refund Issued: $271.99

For questions regarding our return policy or for additional assistance, please click here to visit our online Help Center.
Thank you for shopping with Overstock.com.
Sincerely,
Customer Care Returns
Overstock.com

01-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #92
Site Supporter

P.S. I think it's time for the thread heading to be changed to reflect what happened to us.
01-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NiftyFifty Quote
Welp, I just royally lucked out and snatched up a gently used 40mm Limited for sale on the Marketplace for $300 shipped. Paid w/ credit card (not debit) through PayPal as purchased "goods", so I'm covered two ways if things go South, which I highly doubt. I've had only good experiences buying from our Marketplace. So, I'm totally STOKED!! Bwahahahahahaha!!!

As soon as Overstock refunds my $284, all but $16 of this new lens will be paid for since I used the same credit card for both purchases.
Congratulations on the 40 Limited.
01-10-2013, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #94

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Congratulations on the 40 Limited.
Thank you!

I was tempted to pay the full $500 for a NIB one, or even do the backorder with Adorama for $359.95 and wait 1-2 months for it. But, I'm very intuitive and doing either just didn't feel right despite the temptation. The feeling I did have said "No. Wait and watch". No lies or exaggerations! And, then I did my usual random check of the Marketplace and one of the newest postings was offering the gently used 40 Limited for $300 shipped, and I snagged it. The entire transaction took all of maybe 20 minutes from initial PM to payment to my receiving tracking info.

I wish we had a dancing banana emoticon, LOL. I can't explain how happy I am. I'm on a limited income due to being disabled from Lupus (but not from the gov't - I had disability insurance with UNUM while employed) and remember reading Ned Bunnell's Posterous blog and seeing the pics he posted with the K-5 when it first came out. Some of the pics were taken with Limited lenses, and I remember being sad that I couldn't afford either, and thinking that I was never going to be able to afford them. And, here I am now with a K-5 and a Limited lens. Granted it's not a K-5 II, but for the photography I do I don't have a need to be able to focus in almost total pitch black darkness (from what I've read about the K-5 II).

I finally have a top of the line Pentax camera and a top of the line lens. So, if I don't get any others in the near, or even distant, future I'm satisfied. It was a dream (however modest it may seem to some) to get these and I got them, and I'm totally fine and feel completely blessed and grateful. And wish I could moonwalk and "running man" all over my house - but I'd just hurt something, LOL.

Last edited by NiftyFifty; 01-10-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Correction of blog name.
01-10-2013, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #95
Forum Member

Thank you!

I was tempted to pay the full $500 for a NIB one, or even do the backorder with Adorama for $359.95 and wait 1-2 months for it. But, I'm very intuitive and doing either just didn't feel right despite the temptation. The feeling I did have said "No. Wait and watch". No lies or exaggerations! And, then I did my usual random check of the Marketplace and one of the newest postings was offering the gently used 40 Limited for $300 shipped, and I snagged it. The entire transaction took all of maybe 20 minutes from initial PM to payment to my receiving tracking info.

I wish we had a dancing banana emoticon, LOL. I can't explain how happy I am. I'm on a limited income due to being disabled from Lupus (but not from the gov't - I had disability insurance with UNUM while employed) and remember reading Ned Bunnell's Tumblr blog and seeing the pics he posted with the K-5 when it first came out. Some of the pics were taken with Limited lenses, and I remember being sad that I couldn't afford either, and thinking that I was never going to be able to afford them. And, here I am now with a K-5 and a Limited lens. Granted it's not a K-5 II, but for the photography I do I don't have a need to be able to focus in almost total pitch black darkness (from what I've read about the K-5 II).

I finally have a top of the line Pentax camera and a top of the line lens. So, if I don't get any others in the near, or even distant, future I'm satisfied. It was a dream (however modest it may seem to some) to get these and I got them, and I'm totally fine and feel completely blessed and grateful. And wish I could moonwalk and "running man" all over my house - but I'd just hurt something, LOL.

I am SO happy you got the lens at such a good price! Congrats!
01-10-2013, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #96
Veteran Member

Thank you!

I wish we had a dancing banana emoticon, LOL. I can't explain how happy I am. I'm on a limited income due to being disabled from Lupus (but not from the gov't - I had disability insurance with UNUM while employed) and remember reading Ned Bunnell's Tumblr blog and seeing the pics he posted with the K-5 when it first came out. Some of the pics were taken with Limited lenses, and I remember being sad that I couldn't afford either, and thinking that I was never going to be able to afford them. And, here I am now with a K-5 and a Limited lens. Granted it's not a K-5 II, but for the photography I do I don't have a need to be able to focus in almost total pitch black darkness (from what I've read about the K-5 II).

I know we are getting way off topic here, but really enjoyed reading your post about getting the lens you wanted, and how happy you are to have a great camera and lens.

I am just starting down the same disability road and am scared to death. I kind of knew it was coming about a year ahead of time, so while I was still able to earn a living I bought a bunch of gear in anticipation of not being able to afford it in the future. My plan worked out the way I thought it would, and I also feel blessed to have all this nice equipment at this point in my life. I love this hobby, and as it turns out this is the only thing I can do now to occupy myself without something hurting.

Just wanted to comment on your post as I can really say "I know how you feel".
01-10-2013, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #97
Site Supporter

Congrats NiftyFifty, enjoy!

01-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I know we are getting way off topic here, but really enjoyed reading your post about getting the lens you wanted, and how happy you are to have a great camera and lens.

I am just starting down the same disability road and am scared to death. I kind of knew it was coming about a year ahead of time, so while I was still able to earn a living I bought a bunch of gear in anticipation of not being able to afford it in the future. My plan worked out the way I thought it would, and I also feel blessed to have all this nice equipment at this point in my life. I love this hobby, and as it turns out this is the only thing I can do now to occupy myself without something hurting.

Just wanted to comment on your post as I can really say "I know how you feel".
Stormtech, feel free to PM me anytime. Becoming disabled is really scary, especially if it's a condition or illness that's unpredictable. I, too, know how you feel. I got into photography for the same reason you did, and because since I was taking medication that suppressed my immune system I couldn't do things that involved being around lots of people. Photography could be a solo activity and I could stop/start as my health dictated and walk as slowly as I needed to. So, if you need the listening ear of someone who understands, feel free to PM me. I also accept emails through my user profile, if you'd rather do that.

01-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #99

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Congrats NiftyFifty, enjoy!
The dancing banana! Thanks!
01-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #100
Site Supporter

Unreal. I just checked the shipping status and Overstock changed the product description to XS, in non standard box, from the Limited description, yet they still have the same photo of it. It this bait and switch?
01-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
Unreal. I just checked the shipping status and Overstock changed the product description to XS, in non standard box, from the Limited description, yet they still have the same photo of it. It this bait and switch?
On Overstock's part its just plain old stupidity coupled to laziness, I think. Their supplier(s) are another story entirely......
01-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #102
Site Supporter

That Yellow K-01 is looking better all the time. . .
01-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #103
Veteran Member

I have one sitting here next to me. The yellow is paler than the image at the head of the thread. Someone at Pentax kicked up the saturation on that photo a good bit.
01-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #104
Forum Member

I totally agree about the yellow K-01. That's why I cancelled my 40 mm limited order and ordered the K-01 instead. I can use the 40 mm XS on my k-30 and I will have a lightweight "street" camera as a bonus.
01-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #105
Site Supporter

Yup. Wish they would have let me cancel. Oh well, I'll just return unopened, ASAP.