Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread

DO NOT BUY Pentax 40mm F2.8 from Overstock.com
Posted By: 1812, 01-04-2013, 07:01 AM

REVISED 1-23-2013

Do not buy the Pentax 40mm lens from overstock.com

They have the wrong picture and description.

The overstock.coms lens is the 40mm XS, not the 40mm Limited

By now, I as well as several others have mistakenly bought this lens from overstock and obtained refunds. They originally described the lens as the Pentax Limited in all of there description. Now they have partially changed there description.

Repeat, it is the XS lens, not the limited.

Do not buy unless you want the 40mm XS lens.

Robert

Last edited by 1812; 01-23-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: To make sure nobody else purchases this lens by mistake
Views: 12,516
01-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, mine should be delivered on Wednesday, but I won't be able to pick it up until Thursday.

Here's hoping that they shipped a Ltd to Canada for me

... even though as mentioned, the website says it is the XS version... until you scroll down and says it is the Ltd version...

01-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #107

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
Well, mine should be delivered on Wednesday, but I won't be able to pick it up until Thursday.

Here's hoping that they shipped a Ltd to Canada for me

... even though as mentioned, the website says it is the XS version... until you scroll down and says it is the Ltd version...
If the product page is now saying it's the XS lens, then Overstock changed the website after getting our complaints. Previously, it did NOT say it was the XS version. The product page was 100% Limited info, from pics to specs, to everything. They're trying to put the right info up there now, after the fact. I guess better late than never.
01-14-2013, 04:43 AM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NiftyFifty Quote
If the product page is now saying it's the XS lens, then Overstock changed the website after getting our complaints. Previously, it did NOT say it was the XS version. The product page was 100% Limited info, from pics to specs, to everything. They're trying to put the right info up there now, after the fact. I guess better late than never.
Yep. I got my full refund on my credit card, and everything is fine now - except that I will never order from Overstock again.

I will say their customer service application and people are pretty good.
01-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #109

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yep. I got my full refund on my credit card, and everything is fine now - except that I will never order from Overstock again.

I will say their customer service application and people are pretty good.
Glad everything worked out smoothly for you.

I'm supposed to be shipping mine back today, but I've been having a migraine for a couple of days and been heavily medicated... so driving is out if the migraine doesn't break. Yeah, their customer service is decent; no complaints in that department. But, they seriously need to work on their materials management and inventory control. Yowza!

I'll give them another try. I mean, it's not like they didn't want to make things right or tried to give me a hard time. I just won't order anything whose price is too good to be true. Besides, I just saw a super pretty bedspread set that would look fabulous on my bed. I think it even has matching curtains.

The 40 Limited that I bought from the Marketplace is supposed to arrive today via USPS. Y'all might be in for some PUI - photography under the influence. LOL!

01-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #110
Veteran Member

So, turns out I got a XS lens, in a white box, filled with bubble wrap. No manual, no warranty, nothing but bubble wrap and a little tiny lens.

I tried to follow the return procedure that came with the packing slip, but the directions do not work for International orders.

I contacted the Live Chat (because the phone option said it would take 15 minutes) and was greeted by 'Jackson C.' who was not able to help me because I was an international buyer.

He transfered me to Sam who apparently deals with international orders. I think Sam is also international: "Sam: Is there anything else to help today?" "Sam: Is that you received above link item?"

Anyways, the moral of the story is, after 30 minutes trying to explain that the ad original said the lens was a Ltd..... that the specs are for the Ltd..... that I would like to return the XS lens..... and being told I cannot return the XS version because the ad is for the XS version..... I was able to get the return information sent to my email.

Also, they can only offer refunds to international buyers. If your lens is the wrong one, and you want the correct one... you only get a refund. If your lens is damaged in shipment and you really want a replacement.... too bad, you only get a refund.

I am very frustrated by a) getting the wrong lens, but mostly b) the process (so far) for returns. These guys are definitely on the "never buy from these guys" list.... and that's putting it nicely.
01-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #111

So, turns out I got a XS lens, in a white box, filled with bubble wrap. No manual, no warranty, nothing but bubble wrap and a little tiny lens.

I tried to follow the return procedure that came with the packing slip, but the directions do not work for International orders.

I contacted the Live Chat (because the phone option said it would take 15 minutes) and was greeted by 'Jackson C.' who was not able to help me because I was an international buyer.

He transfered me to Sam who apparently deals with international orders. I think Sam is also international: "Sam: Is there anything else to help today?" "Sam: Is that you received above link item?"

Anyways, the moral of the story is, after 30 minutes trying to explain that the ad original said the lens was a Ltd..... that the specs are for the Ltd..... that I would like to return the XS lens..... and being told I cannot return the XS version because the ad is for the XS version..... I was able to get the return information sent to my email.

Also, they can only offer refunds to international buyers. If your lens is the wrong one, and you want the correct one... you only get a refund. If your lens is damaged in shipment and you really want a replacement.... too bad, you only get a refund.

I am very frustrated by a) getting the wrong lens, but mostly b) the process (so far) for returns. These guys are definitely on the "never buy from these guys" list.... and that's putting it nicely.
You talked to poorly trained customer service representatives. I hate that with a purple passion. I would have asked to speak to a supervisor as soon as I realized that the person I was speaking to could not comprehend what I was telling him/her, and also didn't know what their company's return policy stated.

A purchase can be returned to Overstock for any reason as long as it's during their return timeframe - you don't have to justify it and the customer service representative can't deny it. There may be special rules limiting international orders to "refunds only", but you can't be angry at Overstock for that. Their return and refund policies are clearly explained on their website, and it was up to you to make sure you knew what they were - especially as an international customer.

At any rate, I'm glad you finally got the situation taken care of. When they process your refund back to your card, take your money and run without looking back. It seems that Overstock.com is not the best online shopping choice for anybody, but especially international customers.
01-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had Overstock customer service email me a return shipping label yesterday even before the package arrived, and it was promptly returned, unopened, just handed it back to the UPS driver. I have to say customer service was pleasant, responsive, and helpful. They sure have job security considering how the other parts of the company operate.

On a side note, the other Pentax items I looked at on the site I thought had ridiculously non-competitive prices.

01-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #113
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
I had Overstock customer service email me a return shipping label yesterday even before the package arrived, and it was promptly returned, unopened, just handed it back to the UPS driver. I have to say customer service was pleasant, responsive, and helpful. They sure have job security considering how the other parts of the company operate.

On a side note, the other Pentax items I looked at on the site I thought had ridiculously non-competitive prices.
Well, when you consider that they are selling the XS version of the lens which sells everywhere else for $249.00, Overstock's price of $272 for this lens is also non-competitive
01-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lgt525 Quote
Well, when you consider that they are selling the XS version of the lens which sells everywhere else for $249.00, Overstock's price of $272 for this lens is also non-competitive
Much worse - they are not selling the retail version, but a lens ripped out of a kit....
01-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #115

QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
Much worse - they are not selling the retail version, but a lens ripped out of a kit....
Since they're not making it known that the XS they're selling isn't the retail version, I wonder if they're breaking any laws. And then selling it for $22 more than what the official retail version is going for everywhere else is just wrong. I also wonder if the non-retail lens is covered by the Pentax warranty by itself. I know it is as part of the camera kit, but since these are split from the camera and sold separately, I wonder if they're covered by themselves. Hmmm.
01-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NiftyFifty Quote
Since they're not making it known that the XS they're selling isn't the retail version, I wonder if they're breaking any laws. And then selling it for $22 more than what the official retail version is going for everywhere else is just wrong. I also wonder if the non-retail lens is covered by the Pentax warranty by itself. I know it is as part of the camera kit, but since these are split from the camera and sold separately, I wonder if they're covered by themselves. Hmmm.
Each kit comes with a lens card that identifies it and has its serial number. While not a warranty card it does document that the lens was an independent item and does not say on it that the lens was part of a kit. Knowingly misstating what an item is for sale, intentionally substituting a lesser quality item, etc. - those are usually illegal but selling for above Maximum Assured Pricing is called capitalism.
01-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #117
Veteran Member

So it gets even better for me...

I go into my email to get the tracking number to see if it has been returned yet, and discover that I will not be getting a full refund. When I contact Overstock.com, I find out because I am returning the item, there is a processing fee. Apparently, when you receive the correct item and don't want to keep it for whatever reason, there is a few. So after 5 minutes of explaining how I did not receive the correct item, they tell me to not return the product as they have to update the information and give me new return authorization. Then I mention that the package should be delivered tomorrow and they kindly let me know they will try their best to add "just a note" to my profile saying to issue a full refund.

On top of that, apparently even the CEO of Overstock.com gets things mixed up: Gun allegedly found in Overstock.com CEO’s luggage
01-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #118

Original Poster
Returns to Overstock

I go into my email to get the tracking number to see if it has been returned yet, and discover that I will not be getting a full refund. When I contact Overstock.com, I find out because I am returning the item, there is a processing fee. Apparently, when you receive the correct item and don't want to keep it for whatever reason, there is a few. So after 5 minutes of explaining how I did not receive the correct item, they tell me to not return the product as they have to update the information and give me new return authorization. Then I mention that the package should be delivered tomorrow and they kindly let me know they will try their best to add "just a note" to my profile saying to issue a full refund.

On top of that, apparently even the CEO of Overstock.com gets things mixed up: Gun allegedly found in Overstock.com CEO’s luggage
I received a full refund. Make sure that you check with your credit card company to make certain that you get your full refund. Overstock has partially corrected there website's description of the lens now. If anyone needs a screenshot of the original website before the correction, in order to get there complete refund, let me know and I will send the original screenshot to you.

Robert
01-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #119
Veteran Member

Refuse delivery might work better.
01-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Refuse delivery might work better.
That's exactly what I did in the last Overstock round - had my credit the same day they received it back.