Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread

DO NOT BUY Pentax 40mm F2.8 from Overstock.com
Posted By: 1812, 01-04-2013, 07:01 AM

REVISED 1-23-2013

Do not buy the Pentax 40mm lens from overstock.com

They have the wrong picture and description.

The overstock.coms lens is the 40mm XS, not the 40mm Limited

By now, I as well as several others have mistakenly bought this lens from overstock and obtained refunds. They originally described the lens as the Pentax Limited in all of there description. Now they have partially changed there description.

Repeat, it is the XS lens, not the limited.

Do not buy unless you want the 40mm XS lens.

Robert

Last edited by 1812; 01-23-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: To make sure nobody else purchases this lens by mistake
Views: 12,508
01-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well..bad news..just got off the phone. It is going to be the XS version for sure. The lens is on it's way here. Overstock is going to try and stop the shipment and refund my purchase TODAY. I told them that in this case "just crediting shipping" will not be enough in that I made extraordinary efforts to make sure that the lens I ordered was the one they should send me.

I told them if the lens comes, and UPS leaves it, then I will not be returning the lens back to them since my ordering was not a mistake on my part and I really, really tried to order the correct lens.

So we'll see what happens.

No more Overstock purchases for me!

Ultimately, I guess if I end up with another 40mm XS lens it won't be the end of the world!

01-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #62

Well that stinks. I guess I will call now and cancel the order.
01-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #63
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Over-stuffed

I've ordered various merchandise from Overstock over the years, but for something highly-specialized like photo equipment, I'll stick with specialized retailers that have a clue.

In my experience, they often don't know what they've got. I've ordered one thing and received something totally different. They're just a big clearinghouse for anything and everything under the sun, and a lot of mix-ups happen with item numbers and descriptions. True, they'll usually make it right, but I just don't need the disappointment and hassle.
01-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by klaatu3 Quote
I've ordered various merchandise from Overstock over the years, but for something highly-specialized like photo equipment, I'll stick with specialized retailers that have a clue.

In my experience, they often don't know what they've got. I've ordered one thing and received something totally different. They're just a big clearinghouse for anything and everything under the sun, and a lot of mix-ups happen with item numbers and descriptions. True, they'll usually make it right, but I just don't need the disappointment and hassle.
True, and I agree. However, when I see a "Price watch" here on PF, I give it extra attention. I won't "lose" any money on this, just a bit of frustration. B&H and Adorama are 90% of my camera purchases anyway.

In the end, I can always use the 40mm XS on another camera.

01-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by klaatu3 Quote

So.. I just called and tried to cancel my order that I just placed and that shows still processing and the rep said she can't cancel the order. She said she has to call the warehouse and then she can put in a request to cancel but it might be shipped. This is only 10 mins after I placed the order! I guess I learned my lesson here. She did say that they will pay for the return shipping when I return it. What a hassle. Too good to be true is usually that! And to top it off the XS can be bought for much cheaper than $272. It seems that this shady warehouse is buying the K-01 kits and selling the XS lenses through Overstock.
01-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
True, and I agree. However, when I see a "Price watch" here on PF, I give it extra attention. I won't "lose" any money on this, just a bit of frustration. B&H and Adorama are 90% of my camera purchases anyway.

In the end, I can always use the 40mm XS on another camera.
Yeah but you can buy the XS for $225 in a real box or even cheaper from someone that bought the kit and doesn't want the lens.
01-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by djrocks66 Quote
Yeah but you can buy the XS for $225 in a real box or even cheaper from someone that bought the kit and doesn't want the lens.
Yup. No argument there! At least I won't get a ceiling fan!

01-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just got mine. XS in brown box - not even retail box. What a ripoff...
01-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
Just got mine. XS in brown box - not even retail box. What a ripoff...
I am a little P. O.'d that I couldn't cancel my order. I ordered it and then found out what they were doing 10 mins later from these posts and called to cancel but was told I couldn't because it was being processed at the warehouse. In 10 mins?! You are right what a rip off. The rep said she was calling the warehouse to make sure it was the limited lens and if it wasn't she would cancel and e-mail me. I have not gotten an e-mail. They are shipping these in the hopes that we will just keep them. If I wanted the XS I would have bought the K-01 with it for $316, almost the $272 they are trying to get for the lens here. I hate this kind of business.
01-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #70
Veteran Member

In the email I received this morning from Overstock, the lady said I would received my lens today. Even though Paypal has not released funds...

So, this afternoon I receive an automated message from them saying that the lens has just shipped, at 22:12:37GMT from Lockbourne, OH. I am given a link to track the package on Canada Post, but the number is not in their system, yet. There is no estimated time of delivery, of course.

"After researching your account the lens that you order is the Pentax smc P-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Lens. Tracking records show that the parcel is in transit... and it is scheduled to arrive on 09/01/2012."
01-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #71

Yep, got mine today too. I will be returning it for a refund. They shouldn't give me a problem, as I haven't used it and it's obviously not what they advertised. Disappointed.
01-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
ROFLMAO! Yeah, Overstock is not that organized in their warehouse indexing of what they have to sell. I was one who got a ceiling fan delivered to my office instead of the lens. I also ordered a 40 Limited in the past and got an XS, and it involved the same "family" of businesses. Those guys do this a lot for it to be an "accident".

Last edited by Docrwm; 01-09-2013 at 05:33 PM.
01-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #73

Well, my lens arrived and it was the XS version. It came in a tiny white box with no markings. I called Overstock and started the return process, but before hanging up I asked to speak to a supervisor. I spoke with a guy named Joel and told him that Overstock needed to figure out what was going on because they didn't want to give the impression that they were baiting and switching. He said he was going to look into what was causing the confusion.

Joel thinks that either the person who did the product page put the wrong one up OR that someone in the warehouse got the wrong lenses in or were sending out the wrong lenses. He said he was going to make them look and see if they even had the 40mm Limiteds in any of the warehouses. At any rate, he said he's going to give me my initial expedited shipping costs back, along with my refund. Overstock has already emailed me the postage paid return mailing label and return instructions.

I'm glad this thread prepared me for getting the wrong lens. I would have been even more disappointed than I am. Now, I feel like going to spend $500 - $600 on a Limited lens from a reputable retailer, although I don't like paying full price if I can help it, LOL.

So close...
01-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NiftyFifty Quote
Well, my lens arrived and it was the XS version. It came in a tiny white box with no markings. I called Overstock and started the return process, but before hanging up I asked to speak to a supervisor. I spoke with a guy named Joel and told him that Overstock needed to figure out what was going on because they didn't want to give the impression that they were baiting and switching. He said he was going to look into what was causing the confusion.

Joel thinks that either the person who did the product page put the wrong one up OR that someone in the warehouse got the wrong lenses in or were sending out the wrong lenses. He said he was going to make them look and see if they even had the 40mm Limiteds in any of the warehouses. At any rate, he said he's going to give me my initial expedited shipping costs back, along with my refund. Overstock has already emailed me the postage paid return mailing label and return instructions.

I'm glad this thread prepared me for getting the wrong lens. I would have been even more disappointed than I am. Now, I feel like going to spend $500 - $600 on a Limited lens from a reputable retailer, although I don't like paying full price if I can help it, LOL.

So close...
You got the same BS answer that I got when I did the same thing after getting a Ceiling Fan, only Amanda told me that line of ....... They've done this a couple times now. The source for these XS lenses is the same source that did this through another outlet - offered a Limited and supplied an XS. Do you think that they, a supposed camera retailer (in Brooklyn), didn't know enough to know what they were selling after they had to break up K-01 kits to get these XS lenses?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/200020-da-40mm-251-ebay.html
01-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #75

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NiftyFifty Quote

So close...
They are available for back order at Adorama for 359.95 (in the cart price) Pentax SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 ED Lens- Black, Limited Edition #21550 21550

If anyone buys them there make sure that you delete your cookies and go to Adorama' site directly from this forum so the this forum gets there referral fee.

I don't think that overstock.com has any of the lens in one of there "warehouses" Mine shipped from a camera shop in NJ and that is where they had me return it to. One of the other buyers said his was from Ohio. Evidently overstock is just a broker for others, at least in this case.

Robert