Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread

DO NOT BUY Pentax 40mm F2.8 from Overstock.com
Posted By: 1812, 01-04-2013, 07:01 AM

REVISED 1-23-2013

Do not buy the Pentax 40mm lens from overstock.com

They have the wrong picture and description.

The overstock.coms lens is the 40mm XS, not the 40mm Limited

By now, I as well as several others have mistakenly bought this lens from overstock and obtained refunds. They originally described the lens as the Pentax Limited in all of there description. Now they have partially changed there description.

Repeat, it is the XS lens, not the limited.

Do not buy unless you want the 40mm XS lens.

Robert

Last edited by 1812; 01-23-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: To make sure nobody else purchases this lens by mistake
Views: 12,510
01-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #76

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 1812 Quote
They are available for back order at Adorama for 359.95 (in the cart price) Pentax SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 ED Lens- Black, Limited Edition #21550 21550

If anyone buys them there make sure that you delete your cookies and go to Adorama' site directly from this forum so the this forum gets there referral fee.

I don't think that overstock.com has any of the lens in one of there "warehouses" Mine shipped from a camera shop in NJ and that is where they had me return it to. One of the other buyers said his was from Ohio. Evidently overstock is just a broker for others, at least in this case.

Robert
My return label has it going to Salt Lake City, but it shipped from Ohio. Go figure.

01-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You got the same BS answer that I got when I did the same thing after getting a Ceiling Fan, only Amanda told me that line of ....... They've done this a couple times now. The source for these XS lenses is the same source that did this through another outlet - offered a Limited and supplied an XS. Do you think that they, a supposed camera retailer (in Brooklyn), didn't know enough to know what they were selling after they had to break up K-01 kits to get these XS lenses?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/200020-da-40mm-251-ebay.html
I didn't ask Joel who Overstock was getting the lenses from. Legally, it's not relevant and personally, I don't care, LOL. Legally, I had a purchase contract with Overstock, and that's the company I will continue to take this issue up with. I'm going to get my refund (including my expedited shipping charge), and leave a negative review. I also might file a formal complaint with my state Attorney General's office and the Federal Trade Commission, alleging "bait & switch" tactics on the part of Overstock. But, really, I'm fine just getting all my money and shipping charges back.

Truth be told, I do have the means to buy the 40mm Limited at full price. I'm just... "thrifty". Yeah, that's it.
01-10-2013, 04:02 AM   #78
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NiftyFifty Quote
I didn't ask Joel who Overstock was getting the lenses from. Legally, it's not relevant and personally, I don't care, LOL. Legally, I had a purchase contract with Overstock, and that's the company I will continue to take this issue up with. I'm going to get my refund (including my expedited shipping charge), and leave a negative review. I also might file a formal complaint with my state Attorney General's office and the Federal Trade Commission, alleging "bait & switch" tactics on the part of Overstock. But, really, I'm fine just getting all my money and shipping charges back.

Truth be told, I do have the means to buy the 40mm Limited at full price. I'm just... "thrifty". Yeah, that's it.
Like 1812 said Adorama has the lens on backorer for $359.95 and is honoring that price so, if you are willing to wait for the order to come in that is better than full price. I went ahead and ordered one from them after initially almost buying the wrong lens from crutchfield (that whole mistake of mine is earlier in this thread )

I have learned the hard way over the years not to buy grey market electronics. I always am dissappointed one way or another. I consider Overstock to be a grey market retailer for Pentax.
01-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lgt525 Quote
I have learned the hard way over the years not to buy grey market electronics. I always am dissappointed one way or another. I consider Overstock to be a grey market retailer for Pentax.
Another point is that I doubt Overstock is an authorized Pentax retailer so you would not have any warranty.

01-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Another point is that I doubt Overstock is an authorized Pentax retailer so you would not have any warranty.
I was wondering about limitations on the warranty, and checked the stated warrnty on the Pentax site. I could not find any limitations stating that camera/lens has to be purchased from a specific set of stores? I thought grey market usually referred to items that were transfered from, say, Asia, to the NA market and around Pentax North America. I am not saying one thing or another - I just don't know???

I am referring to the hypothetical case where we would have gotten a retail version of the 40mm Limited - not a brown box XS kit ripoff...
01-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #81
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
I was wondering about limitations on the warranty, and checked the stated warrnty on the Pentax site. I could not find any limitations stating that camera/lens has to be purchased from a specific set of stores? I thought grey market usually referred to items that were transfered from, say, Asia, to the NA market and around Pentax North America. I am not saying one thing or another - I just don't know???

I am referring to the hypothetical case where we would have gotten a retail version of the 40mm Limited - not a brown box XS kit ripoff...
By "Grey Market" I simply meant non-authorized retailer.
01-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like I shouldn't even bother opening the box on Monday when it arrives. . .

01-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #83

Original Poster
By "Grey Market" I simply meant non-authorized retailer.
I good description of Gray Market items can be found at B & H:

U.S. & Grey Market Products | B&H Photo Video

I contacted Pentax for there policies on there chat line and this is what they said:

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
You have been connected to Paul C.
Paul C: Thank you for contacting Pentax Chat Support. How may I help you?
Robert: What is Pentax's policy on warranty service on new Pentax lens purchased in the USA from non-Pentax dealers (such as Overstock.com)?
Paul C: just include the proof of purchase and we will usually honor the warranty

Robert: Thanks. That is excellent customer relations.
Paul C: do you need the address to send in to
Robert: Hopefully not, I was just obtaining information before the purchase.
Paul C: ok... just contact us if you have any other questions
Robert: Thanks again. Have a great day.
Paul C: Thank you for dropping by, Robert , and have a great day as well !
Thank you for using InstantService. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

Pentax is great on there handling of these types of issues!

Robert

Last edited by 1812; 01-10-2013 at 09:41 AM.
01-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #84
Veteran Member

I good description of Gray Market items can be found at B & H:

U.S. & Grey Market Products | B&H Photo Video

I contacted Pentax for there policies on there chat line and this is what they said:

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
You have been connected to Paul C.
Paul C: Thank you for contacting Pentax Chat Support. How may I help you?
Robert: What is Pentax's policy on warranty service on new Pentax lens purchased in the USA from non-Pentax dealers (such as Overstock.com)?
Paul C: just include the proof of purchase and we will usually honor the warranty

Robert: Thanks. That is excellent customer relations.
Paul C: do you need the address to send in to
Robert: Hopefully not, I was just obtaining information before the purchase.
Paul C: ok... just contact us if you have any other questions
Robert: Thanks again. Have a great day.
Paul C: Thank you for dropping by, Robert , and have a great day as well !
Thank you for using InstantService. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

Pentax is great on there handling of these types of issues!

Robert
Well that is good to know for future purchases - thanks for posting!
01-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #85
Veteran Member

What I thought based on reading the online warrantly - thanks for checking!!!!!
01-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #86

Like 1812 said Adorama has the lens on backorer for $359.95 and is honoring that price so, if you are willing to wait for the order to come in that is better than full price. I went ahead and ordered one from them after initially almost buying the wrong lens from crutchfield (that whole mistake of mine is earlier in this thread )

I saw that, but they're talking about 1-2 months before the lenses ship. I'd rather pay more and get it now. I won't be shopping from Overstock anymore, though.
01-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #87
Pentaxian

Hmm. This is very interesting. I had thought that I needed to buy Pentax products only from their "authorized" dealers in order to have the official Pentax warranty honored. I guess I shouldn't shy away from third-party sellers on Amazon such as Emmy Photo or Electronics Basket, both of which are offering the black K-30 body for under $600. I guess the only concern is whether such third-party sellers are reputable, in that they are selling unopened, unused products, and not grey-market goods, etc.
01-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I guess I shouldn't shy away from third-party sellers on Amazon such as Emmy Photo or Electronics Basket, both of which are offering the black K-30 body for under $600. I guess the only concern is whether such third-party sellers are reputable, in that they are selling unopened, unused products, and not grey-market goods, etc.
I bought a K-5 from Emmy through Amazon. It was brand new directly from Amazon's warehouse.
01-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Hmm. This is very interesting. I had thought that I needed to buy Pentax products only from their "authorized" dealers in order to have the official Pentax warranty honored. I guess I shouldn't shy away from third-party sellers on Amazon such as Emmy Photo or Electronics Basket, both of which are offering the black K-30 body for under $600. I guess the only concern is whether such third-party sellers are reputable, in that they are selling unopened, unused products, and not grey-market goods, etc.
The key for buying from Amazon resellers is if the item is "fulfilled by Amazon". With that you are protected with all Amazon's policies.

I also bought a K-5 through Emmy photo (fulfilled by Amazon) with the same results borisceto.

Also, I never thought about the warranty issue.

Edit to add: I just pulled up my Amazon order invoice - in the even I needed to print it to send in for warranty - it is an Amazon invoice even though it came from Emmy Photo - again the importance of "fulfilled by Amazon".
01-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #90

Welp, I just royally lucked out and snatched up a gently used 40mm Limited for sale on the Marketplace for $300 shipped. Paid w/ credit card (not debit) through PayPal as purchased "goods", so I'm covered two ways if things go South, which I highly doubt. I've had only good experiences buying from our Marketplace. So, I'm totally STOKED!! Bwahahahahahaha!!!

As soon as Overstock refunds my $284, all but $16 of this new lens will be paid for since I used the same credit card for both purchases.