Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  
Lot of FA 50 1.4 auctioned at shopgoodwill.com
Posted By: aseno, 01-10-2013, 01:15 PM

There are lots (3 lots of 3) FA 50 1.4 being auctioned at shopgoodwill.com. One lot is going to close 1/11, now at ~620. Whatever the closing price is, I am glad it went to Goodwill. Kudos to the person who donated these!

For the unfamiliar, goodwill has their own auction site, and sometimes has very interesting Pentax stuff. This possibly a hidden secret few people here know. The closing price usually end up at marketplace price, as the bidders are pretty fierce and competitive. I may going to be frowned upon for telling this secret

Andy
Views: 4,742
01-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #31
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
The serious bidders probably also double-checked.

01-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Checking...jono's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northeastern Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 716
I dreamed I bought them for $500, sold two for $250 each and kept one for myself. Alas, it was only a dream.
01-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #33
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
QuoteOriginally posted by Checking...jono Quote
I dreamed I bought them for $500, sold two for $250 each and kept one for myself. Alas, it was only a dream.
Well, I'm sure at least one of the buyers would've figured they bought 3 for $820 and will keep one and try to sell the other 2 at MSRP (since they are nib) on ebay, except they won't sell because people won't buy something at MSRP from an individual that they can buy from a retailer for the same price...they'll have to discount it until it gets close to $300, pay $12 shipping and 10% fees for each netting them about $520 bucks at which point they'll realize they should've just bought one for themselves on ebay! Even if you were to sell all 3 on ebay you'd be lucky to net $100 - not worth shelling out $800+ imho.
01-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #34
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Well, I'm sure at least one of the buyers would've figured they bought 3 for $820 and will keep one and try to sell the other 2 at MSRP (since they are nib) on ebay, except they won't sell because people won't buy something at MSRP from an individual that they can buy from a retailer for the same price...they'll have to discount it until it gets close to $300, pay $12 shipping and 10% fees for each netting them about $520 bucks at which point they'll realize they should've just bought one for themselves on ebay! Even if you were to sell all 3 on ebay you'd be lucky to net $100 - not worth shelling out $800+ imho.
I hate to be cynical but what if a Pentax AD bought them......they did sell 9 at precisely the same price as I recall. Donate them, take the tax writeoff as a business, buy them, sell them, come out ahead.

01-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Checking...jono's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northeastern Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 716
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I hate to be cynical but what if a Pentax AD bought them......they did sell 9 at precisely the same price as I recall. Donate them, take the tax writeoff as a business, buy them, sell them, come out ahead.
Brilliant business plan! The cynical side of me loves that, but the ethical humanitarian side, not so much.
01-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #36
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Checking...jono Quote
Brilliant business plan! The cynical side of me loves that, but the ethical humanitarian side, not so much.
It would also avoid inventory tax, which is assessed on inventory on hand as of January X.
01-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #37
Pentaxian
MegaPower's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hong Kong / Irvine, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 564
I tracked them for half a year.
All are over priced with un-tested item, wrong description, tiny picture.
This is too risky.
01-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #38
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,872
I just bought a Super Tak 35/2 for 121.75 shipped. We'll see if I overpaid or not. It's from San Diego so I'm hopeful it doesn't have fungus. I'm sure it will need some time in the window though.

01-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Checking...jono's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northeastern Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 716
There are some reasonable deals to be had, but with them comes a greater risk.
01-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Spodeworld's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Joisey
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,240
Although it works out sometimes, I won a Pentax-A 28mm f2.8 on the site, and when I got it the Aperture was stuck in the A position. They didn't even check that the aperture moved before listing it.
01-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #41
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Although it works out sometimes, I won a Pentax-A 28mm f2.8 on the site, and when I got it the Aperture was stuck in the A position. They didn't even check that the aperture moved before listing it.
They don't even know what an aperture is. You can't assume anything about anything from them.
01-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #42
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
They don't even know what an aperture is. You can't assume anything about anything from them.
Bingo. It's a form of gambling to order from them, if you're ok with loosing it all then it can be fun - if not......
01-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Checking...jono's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northeastern Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 716
They're back! There are three more with bidding ending on the 25th. There is also a slightly used one described s a Tamron but the picture is the FA 50 f1.4.
01-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #44
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Forney, TX
Posts: 277
I picked up a nice macro lens through Craigslist on Wednesday. The lady also listed a 49mm lens, which of course is the filter size (Lol). I asked her to bring it with her and I would look at it. It turned out to be a FA 50mm 1.4 in mint condition. I paid $150 for it, and I am very pleased with the performance.
01-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #45
Veteran Member
Julie's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,067
I'm not sure if this is true or not, but it seems like it could be possible to me...

We wonder why some big ticket electronics, lenses, cameras, etc, go for so much on shopgoodwill; even more than on Ebay while they are untested.
They (goodwill) bids on their own items to bring up the price. And if goodwill ends up winning the auction, with no one submitting a higher bid, they will just re-list it later.

I've followed expensive/designer purses on the site and most have gone for EXTREMELY high prices- and like electronics, they can't guarantee authenticity or anything about the bag.
I've witnessed many come up again; a few days or even weeks later, which leads me to believe that they could be doing this because they are the same items and they even use the same photos.

So whoever is seemingly paying these super-high prices and appears to be taking a great risk because they are untested, might not even be a real person... could just be them bidding on their own items to drive up the prices.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
fa, goodwill, lot, lot of fa, lots, pentax deals, price
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FA 50/1.4 - price of used? debmalya Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 14 04-28-2012 05:46 PM
Why I love shopgoodwill.com boriscleto General Talk 15 01-13-2012 08:33 AM
Will I lose IQ going from a M42 50/1.4 to an FA 50/1.4? Balog Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 03-26-2011 01:11 PM
For Sale - Sold: K20D (w/grip), FA 31/1.8, FA 50/1.4, DA 70/2.4, DA 16-45/4 (North America) CherryO Sold Items 15 03-24-2011 11:40 AM
they just review it now? - fa 50 1.4 at dprewiew.com - fearview Pentax News and Rumors 12 11-16-2008 02:54 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:56 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top