Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Lot of FA 50 1.4 auctioned at shopgoodwill.com
Posted By: aseno, 01-10-2013, 01:15 PM

There are lots (3 lots of 3) FA 50 1.4 being auctioned at shopgoodwill.com. One lot is going to close 1/11, now at ~620. Whatever the closing price is, I am glad it went to Goodwill. Kudos to the person who donated these!

For the unfamiliar, goodwill has their own auction site, and sometimes has very interesting Pentax stuff. This possibly a hidden secret few people here know. The closing price usually end up at marketplace price, as the bidders are pretty fierce and competitive. I may going to be frowned upon for telling this secret

Andy
Views: 4,642
01-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brazeal Quote
I picked up a nice macro lens through Craigslist on Wednesday. The lady also listed a 49mm lens, which of course is the filter size (Lol). I asked her to bring it with her and I would look at it. It turned out to be a FA 50mm 1.4 in mint condition. I paid $150 for it, and I am very pleased with the performance.
Score!

01-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
I'm not sure if this is true or not, but it seems like it could be possible to me...

We wonder why some big ticket electronics, lenses, cameras, etc, go for so much on shopgoodwill; even more than on Ebay while they are untested.
They (goodwill) bids on their own items to bring up the price. And if goodwill ends up winning the auction, with no one submitting a higher bid, they will just re-list it later.

I've followed expensive/designer purses on the site and most have gone for EXTREMELY high prices- and like electronics, they can't guarantee authenticity or anything about the bag.
I've witnessed many come up again; a few days or even weeks later, which leads me to believe that they could be doing this because they are the same items and they even use the same photos.

So whoever is seemingly paying these super-high prices and appears to be taking a great risk because they are untested, might not even be a real person... could just be them bidding on their own items to drive up the prices.
Nah, they are too stupid to implement that, for one. Also why would they make a scam that causes them to get stuck with the item when they could have sold it at market price? If they relist it later (and they've inflated the prices previously), there is no reason to think that the real bids will be any higher than last time around. Most of the lenses, etc don't go for SUPER high prices, just higher than you would expect for an untested item -- it is like the buyers are assuming that they are in great shape (which they often aren't). Of course if the goodwill warehouse is local to you, you CAN go inspect the items, but not enough people do that to explain the prices. I've done some outright gambling there and I've won and I've lost, but nowadays I usually only bid on local stuff that I have inspected, or where I can see something non-obvious in the photos that is not in the description that I know is worth X amount of $$$ and that I figure most people are going to miss. Then I can gamble on the condition of that thing that most won't even know is there, but sometimes they still go for too high because of whatever other crap is in the listing, or if there is someone else as clever as me looking at it...
01-19-2013, 05:01 AM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I placed the opening bid of $5.95 this time, but within an hour someone had outbid me. Darn! Missed again!