Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
K5II / K5IIs for Australians...
Posted By: imaspy, 01-16-2013, 04:05 PM

DWI seem to have very sharp prices on the new flagship models right now. Better than Adorama for example.

Have a look here K5II body for under $1k for example.

Search Digital World International
Views: 1,563
01-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That does make the K5IIs rather tempting... even with the 3rd party warranty support arrangements DWI use.
01-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Is the in store price, which is only $100 more still too expensive?
Full local warranty and extra no freight costs, plus you get to hold it in your hot little hands in the store. That's worth $100 in my opinion.

Note. in OZ its $100 cheaper than the USA ex tax price. About time we getting a decent deal.
01-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #4

Buy local stock just before an international trip, that will save you the GST on the purchase price, making it even more attractive.

01-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMike Quote
Buy local stock just before an international trip, that will save you the GST on the purchase price, making it even more attractive.
Be careful though.... I was going to do that with my K-5IIs recently, but decided not to when I went thru the fine print.
If you claim the GST back when you go out that's OK, but when you want to bring it back into Australia the limit is $900 for goods coming in, so assuming you tell the truth in the customs questionnaire your new "gst free" camera will will get hit with gst and duties.

Travelling with 2 people together is OK you can combine allowance to total $1800 so that is one way to get around the limits.
A friend of mine bought a K-30 kit for 800-something and he got about 75 back on TRS an then had no problems bringing back in.
My K-5IIs was 1200 so if i'd claimed it then no doubt customs would have a flag on me to check on the was back in.

TRS is meant for tourists spending their money here not for us to evade the gst.
01-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #6

Can't you just say it's an old but in pristine condition dslr? Will the customs officer really pick up that's the latest K-5IIs in your bag which retails for more than $900? If they do, they do their job very well indeed...
01-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If they already have your name, passport number etc details of receipts from when you claimed the TRS for an item over 900 then they might check you when you come back in.

The other thing is if you try to claim for an expensive item on the way out and customs is not satisfied that you won't be leaving it overseas (and you will bring it back in) then they might refuse your TRS claim in the first place.
I read I think it was in whirlpool forum where some guy had the sh*ts with customs because they wouldn't let's him claim the GST off an expensive engagement ring. He wasn't marrying someone overseas (and leaving the ring there), he was trying to cheat the gst and planned to bring it back in.

01-17-2013, 02:59 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Is the in store price, which is only $100 more still too expensive?
Full local warranty and extra no freight costs, plus you get to hold it in your hot little hands in the store. That's worth $100 in my opinion.

Note. in OZ its $100 cheaper than the USA ex tax price. About time we getting a decent deal.
i agree, about time we had this strong dollar do something for us!

but as for the $100 difference... i dunno... i could go into a camera store and have a play with it first, then order from dwi. no freight costs, so that isn't an issue... and dwi warranties (esp. for items like this) are pretty good, they just tend to be slow sometimes. though, going by what i've heard about warranty performed thru CR Kennedy....
01-17-2013, 03:58 AM   #9

I see, good to know this info.

If they already have your name, passport number etc details of receipts from when you claimed the TRS for an item over 900 then they might check you when you come back in.

The other thing is if you try to claim for an expensive item on the way out and customs is not satisfied that you won't be leaving it overseas (and you will bring it back in) then they might refuse your TRS claim in the first place.
I read I think it was in whirlpool forum where some guy had the sh*ts with customs because they wouldn't let's him claim the GST off an expensive engagement ring. He wasn't marrying someone overseas (and leaving the ring there), he was trying to cheat the gst and planned to bring it back in.
01-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #10

Grey Import

Just a warning to those who do buy from DWI, it's a grey import, meaning warranty isn't covered by C.R. Kennedy. And the "dealer" warranty isn't all there. A quick google search will explain what I mean.

The best option, if you wanted to be fully covered would be to buy the Mack Diamond International Warranty for a bit more, OR, you can find somewhere which has stock of the K-5 II in Australia, and price match it with DWI. They should honour it because DWI has an ABN.
(Proof is in the .com.au domain. You must have an ABN to register for them)

This way you get the best of both worlds
The cheap price, and the Australian warranty.

01-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
get yours from DCW
01-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

In my experience, Customs don't worry too much when you bring items back in after claiming the GST back from the TRS. I've claimed the GST back on my wife's eternity ring and a laptop (on separate trips) both of which have been over the $900 per person threshold and they've let me through after having a look at the paperwork. Probably would be a bit different with a $30,000 engagement ring as was the case with the whirlpool post but for a $1000 camera I don't think Customs can be bothered with the paperwork.
01-23-2013, 04:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
In my experience, Customs don't worry too much when you bring items back in after claiming the GST back from the TRS. I've claimed the GST back on my wife's eternity ring and a laptop (on separate trips) both of which have been over the $900 per person threshold and they've let me through after having a look at the paperwork. Probably would be a bit different with a $30,000 engagement ring as was the case with the whirlpool post but for a $1000 camera I don't think Customs can be bothered with the paperwork.
Yes I guess customs have got more important thinks to look for (if you watch "Border Security") but you never know.

Anyway my last trip was a pain anyway so I didn't bother bringing the new K-5IIs thru and glad I didn't.

Weird experince,... I transited through Darwin airport in the middle of the night and almost missed the connection (Jetstar suck) so no time to mess with the TRS thing. Then when going through security the whole airport building shook as there was an earthquake (7.3 near Indo 600km away). Some bottles were clinking in the duty free shop a few metres away so it was a bit of a shake.
Coming back I ended up having to carry about $8-9K worth tools and motor control parts from a job site, Total luggage weight 53kg. A brand new K-5 in the box may have been the straw that would've broken my back. Customs didn't bat an eyelid at all that mind you it was in Darwin again in the middle of the night.
Sorry for the OffTopic
01-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #14

Original Poster
knid of on topic steve130

i think it depends on the airport you go through. perth, darwin, all of the FIFO airports are less concerned about tools of trade, or tools of other trade if you know what i mean from my experience (and i've racked up my fare share of work-based points), they are less concerned about the typical white australian coming home. just my $0.02.